Sponsored by:

Smartycam Sound Quality

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:34 AM
observer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smartycam Sound Quality

I run a single seater, but the sound quality is somewhat dissapointing.. sounds very buzzy/ or like a wasp.. cannot hear the real engine sound.. I have seen other like go pro HD etc they do sound a lot better.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-25-2011, 03:59 PM
jordanAiM
Intermediate

Can you tell me where it is mounted, where did you purchase it from and when? Also, we sell a cable that has an external mic that can be placed anywhere you like.

I'm going to PM you my # as well I work for AiM Sports.

Jordan Dalessio
Old 04-25-2011, 04:24 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by observer
I run a single seater, but the sound quality is somewhat dissapointing.. sounds very buzzy/ or like a wasp.. cannot hear the real engine sound.. I have seen other like go pro HD etc they do sound a lot better.

Any suggestions?
i agree sound could be better, i got different mount now so will see how it will change this. i ws mostly getting very loud 'cracks' and other odd mechnical noises (giroscopes?).

obviously an external mic would probably help. but honestly it is not a priority to me.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:28 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I installed a SmartyCam in a customers car with an external mic sitting on top of the motor in the car (race car no interior so just on sheet metal above motor). Volume is at MAX. It was horrible. Now one thing we just changed and did not check yet is do you have to turn off the internal mic (which is worthless) and max out the external. This is the next step...

Jordan PLEASE forward that the SmartyCam not start UNTIL the car is in motion (this is diabled for some SmartyCam reason since we use the ECU Bridge to get some data). And when the car stops it does not take 15 minutes to turn camera off (that is the MINIMUM setting). We go through 40+ extra files on a weekend deleting off all the crap. And takes LOTS of space. Turn car on in pits, 15 minutes of video. Drive to grid before race, 15 minutes of video. Then 15 extra minutes after every race.. Kind of crazy. Is there something that can be done?
Old 04-25-2011, 05:45 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
I installed a SmartyCam in a customers car with an external mic sitting on top of the motor in the car (race car no interior so just on sheet metal above motor). Volume is at MAX. It was horrible. Now one thing we just changed and did not check yet is do you have to turn off the internal mic (which is worthless) and max out the external. This is the next step...

Jordan PLEASE forward that the SmartyCam not start UNTIL the car is in motion (this is diabled for some SmartyCam reason since we use the ECU Bridge to get some data). And when the car stops it does not take 15 minutes to turn camera off (that is the MINIMUM setting). We go through 40+ extra files on a weekend deleting off all the crap. And takes LOTS of space. Turn car on in pits, 15 minutes of video. Drive to grid before race, 15 minutes of video. Then 15 extra minutes after every race.. Kind of crazy. Is there something that can be done?

My Smarty Cam has several optios to turn off one of them being some where in the range of 20 secs. I will check when I get home. You set it from the screen. The first 2 options are in minutes the second 2 are in seconds. If you can detect rpm then you should be able to slave your cam to when you start your engine.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:07 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
If you can detect rpm then you should be able to slave your cam to when you start your engine.
Bingo!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-25-2011, 06:50 PM
jordanAiM
Intermediate

Exactly. If you are running with a logger or an ECU Bridge, you have to make sure that the "auto record" setting is off. This is only used in Stand Alone mode when either hard wired to the car or internal battery. You can also, change how long the camer records when the car has stopped (stand alone) or engine shut of (slave).

I have asked for this feature several times. I want to be able to set the camera to record when 2 actions occur, RPM and MPH. I know what you are going through. But this is how all of our loggers work. RPM means start to log. This has carried over to SmartyCam. Trust me I am working on getting this feature implemented.

As far as sound goes, older units have the mic and a bad location and we have since changed it and relocated it. Please look at the inside of the rear door and tell me what the lable says. If there is not lable, tell me that as well.

My email for all of you SmartyCam guys is:

jordan AT aimsports dot com

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you guys.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:15 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

mine has no label there. was it supposed to have one?
Old 04-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

I actually thought the sound was pretty good... Mine is a 2nd gen camera but uses the internal mic. Mounted on crossbar using an IOPort mount.

http://www.vimeo.com/15543356
Old 04-25-2011, 09:57 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanAiM
Exactly. If you are running with a logger or an ECU Bridge, you have to make sure that the "auto record" setting is off. This is only used in Stand Alone mode when either hard wired to the car or internal battery. You can also, change how long the camer records when the car has stopped (stand alone) or engine shut of (slave).

I have asked for this feature several times. I want to be able to set the camera to record when 2 actions occur, RPM and MPH. I know what you are going through. But this is how all of our loggers work. RPM means start to log. This has carried over to SmartyCam. Trust me I am working on getting this feature implemented.

As far as sound goes, older units have the mic and a bad location and we have since changed it and relocated it. Please look at the inside of the rear door and tell me what the lable says. If there is not lable, tell me that as well.

My email for all of you SmartyCam guys is:

jordan AT aimsports dot com

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you guys.
You should take Jordan up on his offer to be helpful; he was to me.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:13 PM
jordanAiM
Intermediate

Yes, if any of you have any questions at all please don't hesitate to contact me.

Jordan

AiM Sports
Old 04-26-2011, 02:15 PM
jordanAiM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by utkinpol
mine has no label there. was it supposed to have one?
No, earlier cameras had no label. Send me an email if you are having any issues.

Jordan
Old 04-27-2011, 12:33 AM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

The AIM external mic, with internal volume off or on low?, and external volume medium ended up being the sound cure in the cup car. Jordan is great; he helped me sort mine out at Road Atlanta!
Old 05-11-2011, 11:28 AM
observer
Intermediate

Will check this tonight, I dont recall seeing a label. But it does have a GPS port and wide angle lens, I thought these were the newer type?
Old 05-11-2011, 04:03 PM
observer
Intermediate

Mine reads R.W06.

Sounds like this:

http://vimeo.com/23440359

Quick Reply: Smartycam Sound Quality