3.13%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

2011 Chinese Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:04 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did I miss interpret what MW said at the post race press conference or did he really say he was glad someone beside Vettle was on the top step. If he did, I hope he has his résumé up to date.

Exciting race. It is nice not knowing who is going to win until the very end of the race. I like what the changes, KERS and DRS, have brought to spectacle this year. Don`t think I could have suffered through another boring year like last year.

RB still has the pace to lead the field in all races. MW showed that. 6 more laps and he would have won the China GP.

Massa 6th. Alonsa 7th. Way to go Massa. Keep it up.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:43 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
What's dis FInnish double talk....

Kimi is in town for his NASCAR seat fitting, we need to GTG, you have sumting for me ...

Yes I have and we should although Kimi's already out of town...

Originally Posted by enduro911
Genuinely a great race, but I can't help thinking that this is all being manipulated by the FIA instead of being produced by the engineers...
A lot of is tire management now. Look at Hamilton who always was pretty hard on tires, he did well last weekend and it showed in the end.

IMO that (tires wearing out so fast) is not a bad thing, I'm not so much of a fan of these movable wings and KERS but the new tires are good change and have really made the biggest impact as far as racing & passing goes.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing I don't like about the DRS is that the driver is not in control of when he can use it, and it gives an unfair advantage to the trailing car. The lead driver is penalized for being in the lead. His competition is allowed an extra 10mph but he is not. Especially on the last lap, the leader could potentially lose because he would not be allowed to have an equal chance to defend his position, except for a one time block. I don't see that as fair, but then Bernie is involved and we all know he is fu**ed.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:32 AM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,197 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
The only thing I don't like about the DRS is that the driver is not in control of when he can use it, and it gives an unfair advantage to the trailing car. The lead driver is penalized for being in the lead. His competition is allowed an extra 10mph but he is not. Especially on the last lap, the leader could potentially lose because he would not be allowed to have an equal chance to defend his position, except for a one time block. I don't see that as fair, but then Bernie is involved and we all know he is fu**ed.
That's the point - give an advantage to the overtaking car. The complaint with some tracks is that there aren't enough places to overtake...and faster cars get bottled up behind slower cars.

Re: last lap scenario is certainly possible, but we'll have to see if it ever plays out.

Another scenario to dislike DRS for is a malfunctioning system that activates at the wrong time either giving a driver an advantage or disadvantage. Oh wait, that happened this weekend...
Old 04-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Did I miss interpret what MW said at the post race press conference or did he really say he was glad someone beside Vettle was on the top step. If he did, I hope he has his résumé up to date.
Haha! I did notice that. I think he quickly realized he shouldn't have said that and back peddled quickly. I'm sure he was joking but it was hilarious nonetheless.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:48 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Interesting tidbits. MW had the fastest lap of the day by a whopping 1.4 seconds! That's pretty rare.
This is going to make Qualifying very interesting over the course of the year. Drivers will be waiting later and later to get onto the track in an effort to conserve sets of tyres. If they see that they don't need to risk going out again they might even risk sitting on lower rows on the Starting grid with the safety of extra sets of fresh rubber for the race proper.

Even MW said that this was a manipulation of racing and while it looked good on TV it was unfair and unrealistic for all involved.
This was expected as Mark had an extra set of softs and finished the race on softs/low fuel vs. his competitors which were on the Prime tires. In qualifying they said that the options were 1.5 sec. faster than the prime.

Just to be fair and balanced, RBR really did make up for their qualifying mistake on Webber's car with great strategy during the race. Conversely, they screwed Vettel as he should have stopped an additional time for fresh rubber and had a comfortable lead in the race. As we all saw, he was nursing those last set of tires to the end and could not defend against Hamilton who had the extra stop and fresher tires.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:07 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

No he said it.

MW showed that. 6 more laps and he would have won the China GP.
Except you are forgetting that in 6 more laps Webber's tires would have been going off, Vettel and the two Ferraris would have stopped three times instead of only twice and it would have been a different race. haha

PS: I don't want to take anything away from Webber's great comeback performance but this is not the first time we have seen someone come from the back of the field. Alonso did it in the 2010 Monaco GP (he had the benefit of stopping on lap 2 after an early safety car) and Vettel did it in the 2010 British GP when Hamilton's front wing punctured Vettel's rear tire on the first turn of the race and Vettel had to fight back from the back of the pack. Of course those two occasions Alonso and Vettel ran their entire races on one set of Bridgestone prime tires.

Last edited by My993C2; 04-19-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:54 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Interesting tidbits. MW had the fastest lap of the day by a whopping 1.4 seconds! That's pretty rare.
This is going to make Qualifying very interesting over the course of the year. Drivers will be waiting later and later to get onto the track in an effort to conserve sets of tyres. If they see that they don't need to risk going out again they might even risk sitting on lower rows on the Starting grid with the safety of extra sets of fresh rubber for the race proper.

Even MW said that this was a manipulation of racing and while it looked good on TV it was unfair and unrealistic for all involved.

Really .. i will stop talking to him ....

Expect Webber to have more "Bad Luck" They need a bigger gap for Vettel before allowing any racing , it's that Stoolmacher/Barichello era all over again with the one exception being Webber's unwillingness to work with them.

Montoya and Kimi were not willing to play along and left, so expect mark elsewhere in the near future....

Old 04-19-2011, 06:01 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
it gives an unfair advantage to the trailing car. The lead driver is penalized for being in the lead. His competition is allowed an extra 10mph but he is not. Especially on the last lap, the leader could potentially lose because he would not be allowed to have an equal chance to defend his position
I guess that you don't watch any Nascar.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:19 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
This was expected as Mark had an extra set of softs and finished the race on softs/low fuel vs. his competitors which were on the Prime tires. In qualifying they said that the options were 1.5 sec. faster than the prime.

Just to be fair and balanced, RBR really did make up for their qualifying mistake on Webber's car with great strategy during the race. Conversely, they screwed Vettel as he should have stopped an additional time for fresh rubber and had a comfortable lead in the race. As we all saw, he was nursing those last set of tires to the end and could not defend against Hamilton who had the extra stop and fresher tires.
Of course. However it does seem incredible that someone can come into the pits 4 times to others 3 and even 2. Tyre degradation vs time lost is the real race.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:36 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, this seems like contrived racing. It's still tire conservation wars and most of the passes are due to tire wear/DRS/KERS. The guys are driving laps 5-6-7-8 seconds slower than qualifying on average and even the fastest laps are way off the pace. How hard are they really having to push at their level to turn these times even with a full tank?

I have to agree with Wayne. I think Red Bull is going to make sure Webber has ZERO chance to compete with Vettel this year. Webber's KERS might start to work about mid season.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:45 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

More Black eyes to come ......... ?

German lawyers confirm questioning Bernie Ecclestone

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/form...e/13132843.stm
Old 04-20-2011, 11:44 AM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Although there is much to talk about in the China GP, one of the most interesting was when Button drove into the RBR pits ahead of Vettel then moved to his own pit. Mistake. Maybe; although, one of Vettel's mechanics accused Button of cheating when that happened
Old 04-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by morganabowen
Although there is much to talk about in the China GP, one of the most interesting was when Button drove into the RBR pits ahead of Vettel then moved to his own pit. Mistake. Maybe; although, one of Vettel's mechanics accused Button of cheating when that happened
Reverse cheating- it cost him a position.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:34 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,969 Posts

4 days since the race ended and no one has brought up the fact that Button turned into Webber before the front straight and initiated wheel contact that could have taken them both out of the race???

Quick Reply: 2011 Chinese Grand Prix