2011 Chinese Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Last year it was Vettel's car that had issues in the early part of the season as I recall.
Yeah but that doesn't fit the conspiracy theory, nor does the fact the Vettel's car had problems in China, nor the fact that Vettel's mechanics worked with Webber's car to help get it ready.
Oh wait, Vettel's mechanics worked with it to sabotage it, right?!

Season is only 3 races old, plenty of things and shifts will happen along the way.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
It goes beyond such MJ, these clowns have destroyed the sport , i bet most here dont even know that vettel was slower than scott speed when he took over Speed's car and was so until he got his " new TR chassis...
Hmm... With that analysis, what should one think about 2004 season and Team Renault drivers?

To those who don't remember (or deny like some) by about mid season, Trulli was leading Alonso in race comparisons about 7-3 and same or even worse with qualis.
Then, something changed and all of a sudden, Trulli was way slower than Alonso and then couple of races later, replaced by Villeneuve...
Old 04-18-2011, 07:42 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Agreeing with the Finn

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
But to me it almost seems more that Alonso has given up. In every interview, almost all he talks about is how with their car, they can't fight for the win etc.
It's true they are not faster but how about something other than only focusing on what their car is and what it is not.

Disclaimer: this is not bashing, just observing and if you Alonso fans pay attention unbiasedly to his actions, it should be obvious to you also.
This is the second time in only the third race which I am again agreeing with the Finn.

I am a major Alonso fan and still consider him and Hamilton the two best drivers by far with Kubica an interesting third.

I am angry at the fact that he blames the car and doesn't get the F on with it. Massa did. He has been part of cars that went from crap to great so believe it or not he must be reasonably capable at developing the car let's do it (as much as one can within the letter of the no testing law).

Anyway I agree with the Finn and I hope this update that Ferrari has in store in Turkey gets him involved.

Love him or hate him everyone he is fun to watch when he is on his game.

One comment on Vettel I am not sure he can handle the pressure of people being on his tale (please keep below disclaimer in mind). If Alonso, Hammy, Massa, Webber and Button start being on his **** on a regular basis I think he will crack.

Disclaimer: I am going to attempt to watch the race tonight thus I have avoided making comments directly related to the China GP.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by agdamis
This is the second time in only the third race which I am again agreeing with the Finn. ...
Whoa! And earlier I was defending Alonso (with the open wing issue), must be something in the air...
Old 04-18-2011, 08:40 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Whoa! And earlier I was defending Alonso (with the open wing issue), must be something in the air...
Hey what's right is right
Old 04-18-2011, 08:57 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by agdamis
One comment on Vettel I am not sure he can handle the pressure of people being on his tale. If Alonso, Hammy, Massa, Webber and Button start being on his **** on a regular basis I think he will crack.
On the lap just before Hamilton passed Vettel, I thought Vettel did quite well defending Hamilton's passing attempt on the long back straight by taking the inside "dirty" line and then purposely slowing down in the apex of the corner thus preventing Hamilton from accelerating out of the corner faster and making the pass. But Hamilton is a good racer, he realized Vettel would continue to defend the way he did on this corner and chose a different place to pass. Hamilton saved up his KERS charge and passed Vettel where few people expected him to pass. Give Vettel KERS and a better tires and this pass never would have happened.

The day belongs to Hamilton, he won the race fair and square. But you are underestimating Vettel's abilities. He is only getting better and better with more races. I fully expect Vettel, Webber, Hamilton and Button to give us many more good races this season and I am sure three stoppers will be the norm from now on.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:00 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah but that doesn't fit the conspiracy theory, nor does the fact the Vettel's car had problems in China, nor the fact that Vettel's mechanics worked with Webber's car to help get it ready.
Oh wait, Vettel's mechanics worked with it to sabotage it, right?!

Season is only 3 races old, plenty of things and shifts will happen along the way.
Sabotage isn't the right word. They don't want Webber out of the races. He's a good driver, with a lot of fans, and helps the team immensely.

Its more of, they want to be sure Vettel is ahead of Webber. There are MANY ways to do that, and still help to develop Webbers car....

And, I honestly don't think Webber would follow team orders. If he was ahead of Vettel, and the team told him to move over, he's go down the pit straight with his middle finger in the air. Think of the team holding him back as "forced team orders"....
Old 04-18-2011, 09:09 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Hmm... With that analysis, what should one think about 2004 season and Team Renault drivers?

To those who don't remember (or deny like some) by about mid season, Trulli was leading Alonso in race comparisons about 7-3 and same or even worse with qualis.
Then, something changed and all of a sudden, Trulli was way slower than Alonso and then couple of races later, replaced by Villeneuve...
What's your point Finn.. "short " memory ..

Forgot we had this conversation at lunch a couple years back and i said that Trulli was moved to make way for Alonso's career, now stretch your memory as i have given my top 10 all time list here often over the years , please show me when Alonso was ever on that list .

Vettel will crack , like Stooley he cant handle pressure ..........

Originally Posted by Ray S
Wilhelm,

You're new here so while your factual approach to debate might seem logical it will ultimately fail. You see Wayne has an immunity to facts. You can shoot them at him all day and he's impervious to them. They just bounce right off.
My facts are expensive and you and the finn should know that , seeing both of you have paid for them over the years...

Old 04-18-2011, 09:13 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by My993C2
On the lap just before Hamilton passed Vettel, I thought Vettel did quite well defending Hamilton's passing attempt on the long back straight by taking the inside "dirty" line and then purposely slowing down in the apex of the corner thus preventing Hamilton from accelerating out of the corner faster and making the pass..
You thought so and this after knowing Vettel was driving a car vastly superior to Hamilton ...

You guys are special ...
Old 04-18-2011, 09:24 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
What's your point...
My point was that you can't judge a driver by his performance in few races only, especially rookie's 1st few.
Except if driver's name is DiResta, he's been pretty damn impressive so far.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:11 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,969 Posts

LOL..... Everyone sees what they want to see with their favorites. What is it about F1 that polarizes everyone?

Most of you are underestimating Vettel. Note that Vettel had problems with KERS in Malaysia and China. He nor Webber ran KERS in Australia. As with Vettel, Webber had problems with KERS in Malaysia and China. See a pattern?

The Bulls are great without KERS, but on the longest straight on the F1 circuit of China, they would not contend to their fullest extent. As the straights get shorter, the game will come back to RBR. SPA and Monza the exceptions, but that is not until Sept.

Vettel is getting better and better each race and will mature to be a multiple WDC. You saw it when he scored points in his very first GP in a BMW. He is special.

Unlike other #2 drivers, Webber is a fighter and will not take this sitting down. I like that fire. He is at the end of his career and has nothing to lose, but knows RBR has the best car on grid. If something happens to Vettel, he will be there to pounce.

For the record, I've agreed with the Finn before.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:52 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

My point was that you can't judge a driver by his performance in few races only, especially rookie's 1st few.
Except if driver's name is DiResta, he's been pretty damn impressive so far.
What's dis FInnish double talk....

Kimi is in town for his NASCAR seat fitting, we need to GTG, you have sumting for me ...

Old 04-18-2011, 11:56 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Just got done watching guys. Wow amazing! If F1 is like this for the rest of the year it will be something.

IMHO Drivers of the race=> Webber, Hammy, Rosberg in that order.

Vettel still the man to beat.

Massa and Button deserve honorable mention

Loved the clip of San Marino 2005 when Fernando was in his prime one of my favorite moments in modern F1 history.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:31 AM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Genuinely a great race, but I can't help thinking that this is all being manipulated by the FIA instead of being produced by the engineers.

It turned out to be a great race for a lot of people. Vettel drove well despite having issues with the car. He certainly looked calm to me when Hammy was closing in on him. Speaking of which, Hamilton drove a superb race. Fast, but well thought out, something I always thought was missing from his repertoire. Massa beat Alonso, but I don't think that's a huge deal. It's good for Felipe, but Alonso will have plenty of season left to turn the tables. I can't also help but thinking that he, as a driver and like all drivers, can only do so much. He's been positive and factual in what he's said about the car. No complaints here, and I find it a bit difficult to understand why there would be any (about his off-track behavior) at all. Schumacher drove well, too, but Webber was unbelievable and I genuinely think we will see a resurgence like last year. Three weeks is too long to wait....oh well.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:41 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Interesting tidbits. MW had the fastest lap of the day by a whopping 1.4 seconds! That's pretty rare.
This is going to make Qualifying very interesting over the course of the year. Drivers will be waiting later and later to get onto the track in an effort to conserve sets of tyres. If they see that they don't need to risk going out again they might even risk sitting on lower rows on the Starting grid with the safety of extra sets of fresh rubber for the race proper.

Even MW said that this was a manipulation of racing and while it looked good on TV it was unfair and unrealistic for all involved.

Last edited by 333pg333; 04-19-2011 at 08:12 AM.

Quick Reply: 2011 Chinese Grand Prix