Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reconsidering racing plans in light of rising fuel costs and tire shortages, are you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011 | 11:04 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Default Reconsidering racing plans in light of rising fuel costs and tire shortages, are you?

Anyone else reconsidering the number of events and the locations you plan to attend this year in light of the escalating fuel costs?

Not to sound like a whinner but after filling up this AM, I've been fixated on thoughts of what it's gonna cost me to travel to the track this summer.. Today it was $3.79/gallon for the cheap stuff here in Columbus ohio and it's only April. I can envision 4.50 or better by june/july.

Also, heard over the weekend that TOYO tires might be in scarece supply in RA1's for NASA's 944 spec class this summer due to the Japan crisis?? I suppose tires is not a big a deal as there are other classes to run. Or I am sure the powers that be will ultimately rule on a second tire choice for this season's temp use.

But the travel costs, dang...
Makes me think that maybe 3 competition events at Mid Ohio is it, scrap Putnam, Gratten, and Road America to keep my wallet intact ! Or maybe do some pca DE events at Mid O, there are typically 4 in the summer.

Anyone else feeling the pinch? If not, share some words of encouragement with me

Tom
Old 04-04-2011 | 11:10 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by originalmotorhead
Anyone else reconsidering the number of events and the locations you plan to attend this year in light of the escalating fuel costs?

Not to sound like a whinner but after filling up this AM, I've been fixated on thoughts of what it's gonna cost me to travel to the track this summer.. Today it was $3.79/gallon for the cheap stuff here in Columbus ohio and it's only April. I can envision 4.50 or better by june/july.

Also, heard over the weekend that TOYO tires might be in scarece supply in RA1's for NASA's 944 spec class this summer due to the Japan crisis?? I suppose tires is not a big a deal as there are other classes to run. Or I am sure the powers that be will ultimately rule on a second tire choice for this season's temp use.

But the travel costs, dang...
Makes me think that maybe 3 competition events at Mid Ohio is it, scrap Putnam, Gratten, and Road America to keep my wallet intact ! Or maybe do some pca DE events at Mid O, there are typically 4 in the summer.

Anyone else feeling the pinch? If not, share some words of encouragement with me

Tom

Nope.. I am still going on with my racing plans as usual. I will be more carefull to maximize my tire life as tire supply is going to be a challenge. So that will mean more time on old tires. See 944-spec.org for the details on how we are dealing with the tire issue. As for fuel proces.. yes the go up, but at $0.50 more a gallon how much more is a long tow going to cost you? $50 more an event? Not great, but given all the other costs it is in fact a small increase.

At worst maybe you trade a event farther away with a closer one.
Old 04-04-2011 | 11:13 AM
AutoAtlanta
Former Vendor

One should NEVER pass up an opportunity to race at Road America. What a track!

If you are worried about fuel costs in racing, you probably aren't familiar with racing a Porsche. What part of this did you think would be cheap, the Racing part, or the Porsche part?
Old 04-04-2011 | 12:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I dunno. I don't golf. I don't gamble. I don't fish, skydive, or ***** around. Seems to me that, since going to the track is entertainment, even with $4 gasoline, it is still much cheaper than any of these other pastimes.

Old 04-04-2011 | 12:24 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

It is weighing on my mind. 91 Octane here in Cali is at $4.35 a gallon. Diesel for the motorhome is $4.50 a gallon................. and it's only April 4th..... Summer is going to be hell, but I've got it in my head that $5 for 91 octane and $5 for diesel is my limit and I'm shutting it down at that point. Racing is for fun, but not to get OT, but with the rise in everything else from food to ??? it ain't good.

Tires are another issue, luckily I bought a new set of RA1s before the earthquake and they were already on back order before that. Can't imagine what it's going to be like now.
Old 04-04-2011 | 12:42 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by Pete
It is weighing on my mind. 91 Octane here in Cali is at $4.35 a gallon. Diesel for the motorhome is $4.50 a gallon................. and it's only April 4th..... Summer is going to be hell, but I've got it in my head that $5 for 91 octane and $5 for diesel is my limit and I'm shutting it down at that point. Racing is for fun, but not to get OT, but with the rise in everything else from food to ??? it ain't good.

Tires are another issue, luckily I bought a new set of RA1s before the earthquake and they were already on back order before that. Can't imagine what it's going to be like now.
Pete,
944-spec.org is covering the toyo situation and how we plan to deal with it.

http://944spec.org/944SPEC/forum/gen...hange-proposal

we can't do anything about gas, but be happy we run only 91 octane.
Old 04-04-2011 | 01:24 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Life is too short to miss (or shorten) a track season.
Old 04-04-2011 | 01:44 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Life is too short to miss (or shorten) a track season.
Fortunately for me it will be as it's been in past years, but the thought of going to Mosport multiple times and paying upwards of FIVE bucks/gal ($1.27/liter for regular this past weekend) does make me gag.....
Old 04-04-2011 | 01:55 PM
Dave928S
Rennlist Member

Try 1.59 a litre for regular unleaded = US$6.00/US Gallon ....... and rising
Old 04-04-2011 | 02:33 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Isn't one of the "racing sayings" posted sometime ago the following:

"The cost of racing hasn't increased in 30 years. Beck then, it took everything you had. And it still does."
Old 04-04-2011 | 02:42 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

yep, I cant agree more!

(thats twice this week! )

Hey, is gas really a consideration when a track event costs min (my way) $350 for entry fees and then consumables of near $100-5000 per weekend? (depending on how you calculate, as in : tires, repairs, wear and tear, parts , labor, hotel, etc)

at best, fuel is a rounding error, even at 10bucks a gallon.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I dunno. I don't golf. I don't gamble. I don't fish, skydive, or ***** around. Seems to me that, since going to the track is entertainment, even with $4 gasoline, it is still much cheaper than any of these other pastimes.

Old 04-04-2011 | 02:51 PM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

Its interesting you say that.
Once upon a time I played to a "3" hdcp.
(have a USGA card to prove it).
After two back surgeries I gave it up (almost had to) and took up racing.
Still have the back pain , but sitting in the race seat,well adrenaline is a wonderfull drug.In the car I never feel a thing,of course getting the car ready for a race is another story.

Even though I still love golf it pisses me off to see the pro's making 10-20x the money for winning a tour then a driver does wining a typical race.
Don't get me wrong, the commitment is the same but the risk sure as hell isn't and neither is the expense.
But I've always wondered one thing.Which one gets the hotter babes. Some of those F1 starting grid gals would sure be tough to beat.
Tom B.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

Old 04-04-2011 | 03:23 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tomburdge
Its interesting you say that.
Once upon a time I played to a "3" hdcp.
(have a USGA card to prove it).
After two back surgeries I gave it up (almost had to) and took up racing.
Still have the back pain , but sitting in the race seat,well adrenaline is a wonderfull drug.In the car I never feel a thing,of course getting the car ready for a race is another story.

Even though I still love golf it pisses me off to see the pro's making 10-20x the money for winning a tour then a driver does wining a typical race.
Don't get me wrong, the commitment is the same but the risk sure as hell isn't and neither is the expense.
But I've always wondered one thing.Which one gets the hotter babes. Some of those F1 starting grid gals would sure be tough to beat.
Tom B.
Wow, a 3 handicap? Damn, Tom....I am impressed.

Actually, the reason I posted that picture is because it shows the car of a friend who also posts here.

Agree about the money aspect, especially considering the risks to life & limb racing. As for the chicks, IMO it is a draw. Remember Tiger's wife?
Old 04-04-2011 | 03:41 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

I'm not really cutting back, but I'm certainly focusing on races where I have the opportunity to win tires (5 cars in class).....
Old 04-04-2011 | 04:25 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Just planning a little more. 944's are easy on tires and that cost has already been incurred for the season so I am set there.

Towing costs are a bit more but regionally the sanctioning bodies made it a bit easier by planning mostly double or triple points race weekends. You pretty much have to attend if you want to win a class championship but it reduces long hauls. Luckily my home track is 20 minutes away and having a third of my events there keeps things cheap. I also run straight 91 octane in the race car and use 12 gallons maybe in a single race weekend, maybe 15 for a double.

I did make the call to skip a couple early season enduros to save some money for another run in the NASA 25 hour this December.

Besides, I am backed up against a major home expansion project (double square feet + garage) and my wife wanting to make babies. So this might be my last full season for a couple years anyway.

Quick Reply: Reconsidering racing plans in light of rising fuel costs and tire shortages, are you?