997 C2 with or without aerokit

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 01:54 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 997 C2 with or without aerokit

Hi,

I am trying to discuss set of options about this aero subject in 997 forum, but could anybody here who had driven standard non-aero 997 car share his opinion of to what level it changed car`s behavior on a track after 997 stock aerokit was installed? I do not speak here of cup or GT3 aero sets - just stock aerokit that goes on 997 C2 or C2S cars.

Thanks, Paul.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:02 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Sorry I don't know.. Porsche gives no technical data on the workshop manual or in the technical information regarding these aero kits. They only mention that you have to do the complete one and don't mix and match parts.

My money would go, that it minimizes lift in the front and adds a bit more rear down-force.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:07 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

my first race this last year with the new "bodied" racer, was run with no aero on a track that I know well. it was a little bit of a handful to run with no aero at all. (basically stock) . it by no means was undriveable, but much more skatey and you couldnt really push it to the edge on only one of the really fast turns. 100mph is pretty fast and requires aero, the slower turns in the 70mph range, i dont know if you are notice a huge difference. my net net was about 2 seconds differnt , but that was with smaller and not as good of tires, as well as about 50lbs more weight.
when you bolt it all on , tell us what the 911 does with and without aero .
Old 03-15-2011, 02:35 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

i am really under general opinion this stock aerokit is mostly for looks and does not do much, if anything. especially after you see how cup wing looks like compared to that aerokit wing.

but I really would love to hear comments from anybody who went over this process and could say something like - my datalogger now shows this much Gs in same corner on same tires compared to what it was before, or, my laps speeds increased by X sec on same configuration. etc.

i do not have extra $10K at this moment to conduct such experiments myself. it is easier and definitely cheaper to ask about it here.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 924 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
my first race this last year with the new "bodied" racer, was run with no aero on a track that I know well. it was a little bit of a handful to run with no aero at all. (basically stock) . it by no means was undriveable, but much more skatey and you couldnt really push it to the edge on only one of the really fast turns. 100mph is pretty fast and requires aero, the slower turns in the 70mph range, i dont know if you are notice a huge difference. my net net was about 2 seconds differnt , but that was with smaller and not as good of tires, as well as about 50lbs more weight.
when you bolt it all on , tell us what the 911 does with and without aero .
So you were 2 seconds slower in a car that had smaller tires that sucked and weighed 50 lbs more, plus didn't have the aerokit. Not exactly apples to apples.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 138 Posts

The aerokit must provide some sort of help. All the Koni/Continental Tire Challenge teams racing the 997 added the wing as soon as they were available back in 05. Also the Synergy built cars that are being raced (PCA and NASA) have the 997 aero tail and a few of them have also added the GT3 nose and splitter.

I think a good person to ask would be Mike at Bodymotion. He ran one of the first 997s in Koni Challenge. His car was without the aero tail at Daytona in 05 but had it on the car later in the season.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:07 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I can recall various posts on this with a lot of data from racers / Porsche. If my memory serves me Aero really doesn't start to come into play until about 150 MPH. I've had both my 997 GT3 and 997.2 C2S up in the 150 MPH range and both felt exactly the same with respect to stability. If anything, the C2S feels more "comfortable" at 150 on the track than the GT3 did, possibly due to more compliance in the suspension?

Now if you are talking about a complete rebuild of your car with racing suspension, ripping out the interior to strip weight, etc. then maybe the dynamic is different and factory Aero might act differently.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:16 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

ive seen a difference of about 1 seconds in the tire, so i say that the aero was worth 1 second, but I was on the edge without it, but only around two key turns. I dont think you get 1 second per aero device, i think its about 1 second overall, but of course, it depends on the track , car, driver, tires, etc etc.
mk
Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
So you were 2 seconds slower in a car that had smaller tires that sucked and weighed 50 lbs more, plus didn't have the aerokit. Not exactly apples to apples.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:19 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

GS class ran stock porsches for a long time at laguna, running , 1:38ish. now they are much more powerful, and run 1:37s I dont think the aero helped that much at laguna, because to the last posters point, the speeds are not that great. turns at laguna are no faster than 80mph, as most are in the 60 to 70 range. so at a track with 120mph sweepers or kinks, the down force will be 4x which is very substantial.

Originally Posted by Carrera51
The aerokit must provide some sort of help. All the Koni/Continental Tire Challenge teams racing the 997 added the wing as soon as they were available back in 05. Also the Synergy built cars that are being raced (PCA and NASA) have the 997 aero tail and a few of them have also added the GT3 nose and splitter.

I think a good person to ask would be Mike at Bodymotion. He ran one of the first 997s in Koni Challenge. His car was without the aero tail at Daytona in 05 but had it on the car later in the season.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:53 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RonCT
then maybe the dynamic is different and factory Aero might act differently.
Ron, you are most helpful as usual, kudos!
Old 03-16-2011, 05:58 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
GS class ran stock porsches for a long time at laguna, running , 1:38ish. now they are much more powerful, and run 1:37s I dont think the aero helped that much at laguna, because to the last posters point, the speeds are not that great. turns at laguna are no faster than 80mph, as most are in the 60 to 70 range. so at a track with 120mph sweepers or kinks, the down force will be 4x which is very substantial.
trick here is that I was asking about very specific 997 c2s stock aero kit. custom made cup style wings 'pro' people use look like a grand piano deck compared to that stock kit wing, so, I would not expect any miracles, just wanted to hear a honest opinion from somebody who had a chance to try those cars with them and without them.

as simple as it sounds - it is very difficult to find any actual factual data about all those things, like what is an exact downforce diff between C2S aerokit, GT3 aero, cup aero. it should be available in some doc.s one would think but no, it is not even published apparently. or i cannot find it, but i tried.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:00 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

This is not exactly the comparison you are looking for, but hopefully it's useful.

When I first built my race car, it had the stock 996 nose on it. I had a little "altercation" that required me to replace the front bumper cover, and I put a GT3 nose on, which is also known as the 996 Aero bumper cover. As soon as I did that, the car became MUCH more prone to oversteer, so I put a GT3 rear deck and wing on it. This settled the back end of the car a fair amount.

So... my experience with the 996 is that the Aero package does have some affect on reducing lift. How much in terms of lap times? I don't think enough to worry about unless you are racing. And if you are racing, I'd go with a cup style wing, cup or gt3 nose, and a splitter. That setup makes a significant difference.

Quick Reply: 997 C2 with or without aerokit