Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost My ABS From Freak Occurrence....

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 01:13 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lost My ABS From Freak Occurrence....

... and flat-spotted 2 decent Yoko slicks. I heard and smelled a tire sticking, but thought "that couldn't be me, I have ABS. Well dumb f#@k that I am, I finally realized it was me when the cabin filled with tire smoke. PWIS showed a ABS sensor fault on the RF wheel and when I unclipped and removed the sensor out fell several small pebbles. Someone had littered the track with their off, and I had no choice but to drive through it. Apparently those small pebbles flew up and lodged in between the rotor and sensor. Very freakish, I'd never heard of that occurring before but later in the day a street GT3 came over with the same problem. As with my car, I cleaned the sensor and cleared the fault code and all was good in the ABS world....

PS: We were at Spring Mountain and the new extension really worked well. Everyone loved the track....
Old 03-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Sorry to hear, John.

I was on the new extension to Spring Mountain right when it opened late last October. It is really nice!
Old 03-14-2011, 02:06 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Sorry to hear, John.

I was on the new extension to Spring Mountain right when it opened late last October. It is really nice!
We didn't run the bus stop so we just had that long straight. We did uses the chicane with the rise in elevation right after the end of the back straight which was a hoot. I tried htat sweeper and chicane in 2nd then 3rd, late apex then early apex trying to find the fastest way thru. I don't think I ever got it quite right but it was one of the funest tracks I've run in awhile. Beautiful setting with snow capped mountains in the background. Oh and there was a beautiful blond bartender in the clubhouse with a great natural rack. We all voted to shorten the race 2 laps....
Old 03-14-2011, 02:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Yeah, that little elevation rise is strategically located to make it tougher!! Agree, fun stuff.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:57 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

John thats a bummer.

Came looking for you but you were gone, see you out at the next race!
Old 03-14-2011, 04:23 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mobonic
John thats a bummer.

Came looking for you but you were gone, see you out at the next race!
I chose to go home Sunday morning since since there wasn't anyone to race with in class, and the race was so late in the day. The mere thought of spending 4-5 hours crawling along at 5MPH on the I-15 with the still-drunk Vegas crowd was more than I could fathom.....

So how was the clinic? Ready to race at WSIR next month?....
Old 03-14-2011, 04:26 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

How were the softer springs?
Old 03-14-2011, 04:44 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I chose to go home Sunday morning since since there wasn't anyone to race with in class, and the race was so late in the day. The mere thought of spending 4-5 hours crawling along at 5MPH on the I-15 with the still-drunk Vegas crowd was more than I could fathom.....

Traffic was not that bad (left the track at 4:00 PM). SM to Laguna Hills in 5 hours (with a gas stop).

Cheers,
Old 03-14-2011, 05:11 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm bummed I was sick
Old 03-14-2011, 05:28 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by forklift
How were the softer springs?
For me the 550/700 springs aren't that different than the 700/900 I ran all last year. Conversley the 900/1100 combo I tried at Willow Springs last month was much more bouncy and harsh. I run my front bar full stiff, rear 1-off full stiff so perhaps that makes up the difference. Spring Mountain is a really smooth track and I think the softer springs with less camber worked well there. I ran stickers for qual and outqualified 3 out of the 5 996 cups. I also ran these springs at Cal Speedway the previous weekend with NASA and turned similar times to my best times there last July. Posted below is a video of my car from a pro-truck that I ran against. Starting at about the 4:30 mark you can see me pass him low off the banking and thru the infield. He gets past me on the straight, then I'd pass him low on the banking at 150+ for several laps. My car looks very flat and planted and I can't see any leaning as a result of being undersprung. Maybe a little bouncing at 150+ on the banking, but I was down really low and that's not unexpected....

The real test will be in 4 weeks when I run Willow Springs again. Those results should illuminate the differences....

Here's Cal Speedway. Fast forward to 4:40 or so....

http://www.youtube.com/user/american.../0/q-HXJi1JasM
Old 03-14-2011, 10:45 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

For me the 550/700 springs aren't that different than the 700/900 I ran all last year. Conversley the 900/1100 combo I tried at Willow Springs last month was much more bouncy and harsh. I run my front bar full stiff, rear 1-off full stiff so perhaps that makes up the difference. Spring Mountain is a really smooth track and I think the softer springs with less camber worked well there. I ran stickers for qual and outqualified 3 out of the 5 996 cups. I also ran these springs at Cal Speedway the previous weekend with NASA and turned similar times to my best times there last July. Posted below is a video of my car from a pro-truck that I ran against. Starting at about the 4:30 mark you can see me pass him low off the banking and thru the infield. He gets past me on the straight, then I'd pass him low on the banking at 150+ for several laps. My car looks very flat and planted and I can't see any leaning as a result of being undersprung. Maybe a little bouncing at 150+ on the banking, but I was down really low and that's not unexpected....

The real test will be in 4 weeks when I run Willow Springs again. Those results should illuminate the differences....

Great vid. Looks like a fun track! I could see the rear compressing some but not much and didn't look soft. Look forward to the Willow Springs results.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:20 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Clinic was good, finished 3rd from 5th, behind a 2010 Cup and a 996 cup.

I left SM at 7pm and got to SD at 1am.

Cant make Willow have fun and I'll see you guys at ACS for the Tribute.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:37 AM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

lol talk about about out of formation on a start, the truck should have at least tried to make it look like he was in line.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:39 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

..with a great natural rack. We all voted to shorten the race 2 laps....
natural?
you checked?
size, shape, texture and hardness?
Old 03-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SG_M3
lol talk about about out of formation on a start, the truck should have at least tried to make it look like he was in line.

Yeah, that was pathetic. Starter should have waved it off.

Originally Posted by mooty
natural?
you checked?
size, shape, texture and hardness?

I know who he is talking about....and you can just tell they are real....

Quick Reply: Lost My ABS From Freak Occurrence....