Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosier R6 vs BFG R1

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 07:03 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

And yes ,the guy I get them from is very straight forward about the fall off in time from brand new to 4 heat cycles. (and pretty trustworthy as a source)
(.5 seconds in their testing). keep in mind, this is a car that is running WCGT top times. for me, running 5-8% slower, the tire has less of a delta and is fine for my purposes.

Here is the differences between you and me. I truely understand there are more factors in racing than the tires being a couple of heat cycles newer and the fun factor, with new vs slightly used is not much difference. I laugh at all the guys at the track tossing out tires, buying new ones and not running more than .5 to 1 second faster. I dont laugh if they do it for buying a brand where they can win contigency money or tires.

So, you know I have been doing this too long to not "know" why Im gettting these with 4 heat cycles. he is in a battle where .25 seconds a lap means something. keep in mind, thats peak! overall, its less. its worth it to him to have that edge to have a chance at the lead on lap 1. for me, its a long battle where small diffeences in cars or tires pales to the differecnes in strategy and driver.

Now, is tires the best place to put $1500 every weekend? hmm, taking your advice and saving this money over 4 weekends, that would be a set of new motons, or 50 more hp in an intake system .
now, missing a weekend or two or even three, amounts to less than $1000 to me, so its not going to buy much. remember, i driver to the track, camp at the track and eat food from my fridge from home! just gas and entry fees here! So, when my transmission fails after 11 years and 130 race days, i just cut a check for it and divide the $1200 / 11. $10 per event= transmission replacement fee.

There again, the decisions I make are not any more wrong or right than yours. I take all the factors in to account and it makes perfect sense. because, It all depends!

I didnt take what you said as negative. your right, and its been a long time since ive run new hoosiers. but the tires Ive got from WC are as good as new, especially if you knew from what team i got them from and how much time they had on them. sure, i know there is more time to be found in some upgraded technology. But for what im doing, the car is just fine.

Originally Posted by onefastviking
That's one of many differences between us Mark, I don't "think" to find out if it's a couple tenths difference, or a couple of seconds difference. I buy them, test them, and find out the hard, and yes, sometimes expensive way. So trust me, there is a very good reason that you are getting them with 4 heat cycles gone. Of course you would think that common sense or deductive reasoning alone would bring you to this conclusion on your own.

BTW - I'm not knocking you running on used tires,15 yr old shocks, old bushings (which could actually be better than new rubbers), you do what you need to to race spending the budget that you have given yourself for this outrageously expensive hobby that we all enjoy. When I run across a customer like you that is on a specific budget I do usually recommend that they skip an event or two a year and take the money they would spend on registration fee, hotel, gas, food, travel expenses and put them into the car for an upgrade like shock rebuild/re-valve, a new set of tires to try them out, or something to better the car for themselves.
Another consideration is running in a group where the tire contingency keeps you in fresh or semi fresh tires with enough good finishing positions.
Just some thoughts, as I said, nothing meant in any negative way.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:54 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

one thing I FULLY understand about racing is it is FAR easier to "checkbook" race than anything else....

using new tires every time is an easy answer to this..... while I wish I was in a position where I could afford this....I don't know if I would do it.....I would much rather take the "kibort" approach and win by driving better.....I find it more satisfying to beat far more expensive cars by driving better than writing a bigger check....which is pretty obvious looking at my "lemons" racer... :>)
Old 03-09-2011, 10:10 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
...I would much rather take the "kibort" approach and win by driving better.....I find it more satisfying to beat far more expensive cars by driving better than writing a bigger check....which is pretty obvious looking at my "lemons" racer... :>)
If you can win by the 'Kibort approach' then you're not racing in a very competitive class.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:34 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's all good, race within what you feel comfortable spending. If you are serious about wanting to win in a competitive class than try Spec Miata, bang for the buck with great drivers that is some of the best. Yes you can outspend there as well but the delta is much smaller and you can do much on your own to save considerable cost.
If you want to have fun and do it in a P-car, then spend what you can and have fun. That's all that it is really about anyway. Penske is NOT in the stands watching you.

And GS is very correct in that some racers win every single weekend they race, of course they forget to mention that the class isn't really competitive or that they are the only car in their class . - Not the way I want to "win" that's for sure !
Old 03-10-2011, 12:22 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

sure!

So, interesting enough, the guy that tosses me his scrubs, is a top level driver. Runs 1:29s on DOTs at laguna. when he got in a 500hp/500ftlb mustang he bolted on the brand new hoosiers while I ran on his scubs. we had a heck of a time out there. he had a slight edge on brakes but the turns and the straight lines were a little more in my favor. You can have close racing without having brand new tires. in fact, in a heated battle, usually, even the newest tires wont grip very well if you dont manage them well. Ive seen this happen in most all of our races. close battles, ending with the victor finding the weak link and exploiting it. New tires has never scared me in ITE.
Now, you say its not competitive in ITE. yeah right. when was the last time you were in a high performance group where everyone of 4 of the top cars had the lead sometime in the race, and everyone had 4th place as well?

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
If you can win by the 'Kibort approach' then you're not racing in a very competitive class.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:33 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
sure!

So, interesting enough, the guy that tosses me his scrubs, is a top level driver. Runs 1:29s on DOTs at laguna. when he got in a 500hp/500ftlb mustang he bolted on the brand new hoosiers while I ran on his scubs. we had a heck of a time out there. he had a slight edge on brakes but the turns and the straight lines were a little more in my favor. You can have close racing without having brand new tires. in fact, in a heated battle, usually, even the newest tires wont grip very well if you dont manage them well. Ive seen this happen in most all of our races. close battles, ending with the victor finding the weak link and exploiting it. New tires has never scared me in ITE.
Now, you say its not competitive in ITE. yeah right. when was the last time you were in a high performance group where everyone of 4 of the top cars had the lead sometime in the race, and everyone had 4th place as well?

And on that note .......a good conversationalist is not someone who knows when to say the right thing at the right time, but someone who knows to NOT say the tempting thing at the wrong time.

Have a nice evening Mark,
Old 03-10-2011, 12:34 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

i could care less about winning, i want a good race. (of course, i want to win that battle though! ) Winnng overall in SCCA or even PCA is silly. the classes are totally unfair. Money is the ususally the only thing that determines that, in most cases. The closest correct classing racing ive seen was in WCGT and WCtouring, and those cars are way beyond the club racer budget. We have more close racing than most any of the club races Ive seen or watched. Porsche or otherwise. In the porsche races, Ive had some good battles. In SCCA ITE, we have had huge fields that were competitive down to the wire. As long as there is a close battle, im in! if im alone in a race, which has never happened, Ill back it down and cruise. why even waste the gas!

So my approach is bad, or makes me any less serious? funny! tell you what, you can show up at one of our next ITE races and see how YOU do against a 25 year old car with all stock components and a bolt on 15 year old suspension.
Bottom line, if you are spec miata, sure, knock yourself out on new tires. spec classes are different. BUT, in our type of classed racing, there is nothing wrong with being smart about tires. if you have money to burn, slap on a new set every session. if you are serious about your racing, race and stop thinking tires will be the difference between winning and losing. that money could be spent better in many other areas of the car (and driver)

It's all good, race within what you feel comfortable spending. If you are serious about wanting to win in a competitive class than try Spec Miata, bang for the buck with great drivers that is some of the best. Yes you can outspend there as well but the delta is much smaller and you can do much on your own to save considerable cost.
If you want to have fun and do it in a P-car, then spend what you can and have fun. That's all that it is really about anyway. Penske is NOT in the stands watching you.

And GS is very correct in that some racers win every single weekend they race, of course they forget to mention that the class isn't really competitive or that they are the only car in their class . - Not the way I want to "win" that's for sure !
Old 03-10-2011, 12:36 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

i could care less about winning, i want a good race. (of course, i want to win that battle though! ) Winnng overall in SCCA or even PCA is silly. the classes are totally unfair. Money is the ususally the only thing that determines that, in most cases. The closest correct classing racing ive seen was in WCGT and WCtouring, and those cars are way beyond the club racer budget. We have more close racing than most any of the club races Ive seen or watched. Porsche or otherwise. In the porsche races, Ive had some good battles. In SCCA ITE, we have had huge fields that were competitive down to the wire. As long as there is a close battle, im in! if im alone in a race, which has never happened, Ill back it down and cruise. why even waste the gas!

So my approach is bad, or makes me any less serious? funny! tell you what, you can show up at one of our next ITE races and see how YOU do against a 25 year old car with all stock components and a bolt on 15 year old suspension.
Bottom line, if you are spec miata, sure, knock yourself out on new tires. spec classes are different. BUT, in our type of classed racing, there is nothing wrong with being smart about tires. if you have money to burn, slap on a new set every session. if you are serious about your racing, race and stop thinking tires will be the difference between winning and losing. that money could be spent better in many other areas of the car (and driver)

One more time .............a good conversationalist is not someone who knows when to say the right thing at the right time, but someone who knows to NOT say the tempting thing at the wrong time.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:42 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

You dont get it do you? GS is not right. Brian does get it. who cares if you win or lose a club race. If you do it on new tires, you are expected to have an edge. others might as well. My point is like Brians as well. It's a heck of a lot of fun bringing adaquate cars to a race, and beating cars have a lot more into them.
Nothing wrong with putting the best car out there you can afford. But there is NOTHING wrong with racing on a tight budget, and running what you got.
The underdog spirit is a good one too. If forces you to do more right than the otherguy, besides opening your wallet.

With that, you too have a good night!

Mark

And on that note .......a good conversationalist is not someone who knows when to say the right thing at the right time, but someone who knows to NOT say the tempting thing at the wrong time.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:43 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,577 Likes on 825 Posts

Wow. This is turning into quite a thread....
Old 03-10-2011, 12:44 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Here we go...
Old 03-10-2011, 12:54 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Ok, sorry other RL members, the Gladiator lured me back .....

Mark, please go back and read my post #23.
I am not knocking your way of doing things, it's what you do and what you are comfortable doing. I only feel you are cheating yourself sometimes, and quite possibly putting yourself and others in danger by running on 15 yr old shocks, etc.
I personally would not feel good driving most street cars on 15 yr old shocks, yet alone my race car, but that is just me.

You dont get it do you? GS is not right. Brian does get it. who cares if you win or lose a club race. If you do it on new tires, you are expected to have an edge. others might as well. My point is like Brians as well. It's a heck of a lot of fun bringing adaquate cars to a race, and beating cars have a lot more into them.
Nothing wrong with putting the best car out there you can afford. But there is NOTHING wrong with racing on a tight budget, and running what you got.
The underdog spirit is a good one too. If forces you to do more right than the otherguy, besides opening your wallet.

With that, you too have a good night!

Mark
Old 03-10-2011, 12:59 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

This is all ok. There are those that really believe they will win class racing by buying a new set of tires. Its ok, because Ill be in the dumpster waiting for the tires to run my next 3 race weekends for free.
I remember Anderson doing this at a WCGT race, and after much debate, bought a new set before qualifyng, only to run his exact same time and not change a place. Heck, at the pro levels, you have to stack the deck in your favor as much as you can. But, sometimes the money is just wasted!
I also remember JR buying a set of new slicks before our porsche race, because if he won, he would win a new set of tires, as long as they were the same brand. he could have won without them but winning the new set was worth the gamble. Now, that was some smart spending/racing! I think his time was .5 seconds faster too
Old 03-10-2011, 01:19 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I maybe the last of the grass roots budget racers, but I'm not unsafe. (well, I was a couple of years ago with not changing out the stock old brake lines. that was STUPID. they blew, but I didnt hurt myself or anyone else around me.)

Cheating myself? I've had many victories, and a ton of great racing. those that know me and race with me would say the same. I think im confident enough in my driving, and the car, to tell you a shock failure will have no effect on my ability to keep the car out of harms way. (or anyone elses for that matter)
I dont think shocks just "fail". knowing a lttle of how they work, it is usually progressive and sometimes obvious, sometimes subtle. Ive put this car together, I know every nut and bolt on it. just because it is not a cup car, doesnt mean it isnt safe. How many cup cars are breaking half shafts.
You see my videos. im not the one with broken wheels, shreaded tires from fender rubbbing, wheels falling off due to suspension failure, or engine blowing. Its the cars around me that are breaking, blowing up, and ending up in the sand traps! (all on video by the way) And these are ALL cars you would be proud to run. Full of Money! It doesnt guarantee safety.

again, if you think I am cheating myself, thanks! I would love to think that new tires, new suspension, big brakes, and a professional set up would buy me a second each, but you know as well as I know, that my car, as old and low technology as it is, would not run a 1:32 at laguna. (currently runs 1:36.1 on DOTs , the used ones ) Im really about the driving, strategy and tactics, and making the most of what we have.
Anderson runs 1:31s on occasion, and that car is 200lbs lighter, full moton set up, and 200 more HP, running 12" wide slicks! competition clutch, heimjoint everything, etc. He is a 7 x winner, overall,, in a row, at laguna PCA/POC .

Im not saying that new tires and all the top gear wouldnt buy me anything. I think it would! i just think it is much less than many people, possibly inclucing you, think.

EDIT
Now, I did re-read post 23. sure you tell your customers to buy more stuff as they afford it, to see the difference. Now, sure, I would love to bolt on a new suspension, but as I said in post 46 , i dont spend much in this sport anyway, so missing an entire season woulnt pay for a new suspension. Again there is nothing wrong with not running on brand new tires. EVEN if you are fercely competitive as I am. if there is a 1-2 tenth difference between me and my competior, I will try and make up for it in another area. eventually, especially toward the end of a race, all of the tires are junk and its who is racing smarter that has the edge! (if it is close. if it isnt, then who cares, the tires wouldnt have helped you anyway )

Ok, sorry other RL members, the Gladiator lured me back .....

Mark, please go back and read my post #23.
I am not knocking your way of doing things, it's what you do and what you are comfortable doing. I only feel you are cheating yourself sometimes, and quite possibly putting yourself and others in danger by running on 15 yr old shocks, etc.
I personally would not feel good driving most street cars on 15 yr old shocks, yet alone my race car, but that is just me.

Last edited by mark kibort; 03-10-2011 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Added an Edit paragraph
Old 03-10-2011, 01:37 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*lowers forehead onto hand and exhales*

I'll say it again, if you can win by the 'Kibort approach' then you're not racing in a very competitive class. Sure you might have some good close racing, but it's not a competitive class. Do you think you can show up to a MX5 cup, Grand-Am, Spec Miata, etc race on junk tires and win? No, because those are competitive classes/series.

PS- .5 seconds/lap is a life time in a competitive class.

Quick Reply: Hoosier R6 vs BFG R1