Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do any 'quiet' track brake pads exist?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 11:56 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default do any 'quiet' track brake pads exist?

Hi,

i just replaced front rotors as old ones were shot and hoped that with brand new rotors RS29 pads will be less loud after initial bedding, well, no way hose, same old broken bus kind of squeak at every stop when they cold. I am kinda tired of it and of swapping out pads on a track from stock to pagids and back, plus after those swaps even stock pads start to squeak.

Is there any alternative pads compound similar to RS19 or RS29 pagids that does not squeak so bad? Are there any pads with OEM GT3 compound that will fit stock C2 997 calipers? Are there any other solutions/brands?

thanks, paul.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:08 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I ran RS29's for years on my street/track car with out any noise problems... brake harder, get some heat in them.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:17 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran the pfc 97's and 01's, and was amazed at how quite they were cold.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:41 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you talking about low temp noise or high temp under use they are intended for "noise".

ALL track pads, when cold or on the street will be noisy.

Besides, you're in MA, in March and already putting in track pads? seems a bit optimistic
Old 03-03-2011, 04:54 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Black flag at lime rock for noisy pads
Old 03-03-2011, 05:40 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racer
Besides, you're in MA, in March and already putting in track pads? seems a bit optimistic
I just changed rotors and bedded them with rs29s. I already took them out.

they were silent under hard braking as usual when warmed up, but as soon as I need to slowly slow down before red light or so - in any situation when brakes are only slightly tapped it is just a crazy loud high pitch screech. i cannot say it is just 'noisy' - it is loud to degree for half of street to turn their heads. I was thinking before a reason for that was in surface issues on old rotors as they were pretty well beaten - but those rotors are new, smooth and with no damage to surface at all. still it screeches in same exact way. go figure.

it just did not seem to be normal to me, but if that is how rs29 behaves - well, I will keep changing pads after arriving to destination. but as i ran them before - when i return back to pits and try to slow down gently - it screeches again in same exact way and it is incredibly annoying. I just use handbrake in such situation as rear brakes make much less noise.
pads wear is pretty equal from what I can see, it does not look like a lazy piston in calipers, stock pads are also wearing out equal enough.
I am just really puzzled with that as I cannot explain this - a lot of people do run pagid yellow pads, half of cars on any track have them but no one screeches like I do, so, it got to be some explanation.

DAVISRILEY - thanks, I will ask around if any of local people I know have such pads and will try them.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chose one:
- Quiet pads
- Track pads.

That said, once the pads heat up, they shouldn't squeel as bad...

-Z-man.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:00 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z-man
Chose one:
- Quiet pads
- Track pads.

That said, once the pads heat up, they shouldn't squeel as bad...

-Z-man.
well, i will do lime rock in april, will see how it will behave after pads will bite deeper into rotors. i just hoped there is some know-how on how to deal with those pads, if none exists - well, I guess i just got sh$tty pads but as it is a $500 fun I will have to use them up anyway.

so far they were at 10 AX days, 5 DE days - on old rotors squeek loudness was pretty much same before and after runs.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:06 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I believe quiet track pads is an oxy-moron.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:20 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

When cold with light brake pressure applied, all race pads will make noise. I found less cold noise with PF01 on my race car when driving it on the street (has an antique plate so the kids can go for rides). Some noise, but not to the same degree I have experienced with Pagid and Hawk. With any of the above with shorter stops with increased brake pressure, very little noise. Of course, gotta watch the mirrors so as not to get tapped in the rear by someone driving an SUV while texting.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:57 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

pagid orange racing pads will be silent if you bed them with new rotors.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:04 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
pagid orange racing pads will be silent if you bed them with new rotors.
thanks, I will try those after i finish up RS29s.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:35 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Tried them all Pagid and PFC and they all squeal even at the track except when super hot. On the way home with street driving they cool off and the light street braking cleans off some of the pad transfer and they squeal again. I could care less about the noise.. It's a track pad and the swap to street pads is very easy with the open back caliper on my 997S.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:37 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Tried them all Pagid and PFC and they all squeal even at the track except when super hot. On the way home with street driving they cool off and the light street braking cleans off some of the pad transfer and they squeal again. I could care less about the noise.. It's a track pad and the swap to street pads is very easy with the open back caliper on my 997S.
did you try black rs14? same thing? what about those PFC01s? it`s like - i do not mind some squeal , i mind that kind that hurts my ears and gets to the bone.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:51 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Ran PFC97 pads on my Targa for years on the street...They were pretty quiet, never seemed to make much noise at all.

Quick Reply: do any 'quiet' track brake pads exist?