Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know formula atlantic and swift cars..

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:01 PM
cladd
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone know formula atlantic and swift cars..

Looking to get a car just for some fun track days in the summer. Have a 997 gt3, but really don't want to beat on a 3K pound road car. Was looking to get an open wheeler for fun. Never tracked before.

Found a very fresh $ 50K swift car for sale.\

Good car to start with? Thoughts?

Is there a reason to chose close wheel vs open if it's just for fun?
Old 03-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're gonna have trouble finding track time with an open wheeler that's NOT part of a race weekend. There's no such thing as HPDE for open-wheelers (at least that I've found).
Old 03-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

I think SundayDriver knows these cars pretty well.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:10 PM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's another link to the 2010 SCCA National Champion Formula F held at Road America last September.

Interesting read - he started 4th and won in a Piper.

http://kautzracing.com/kautzracing/home.html
Old 03-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't go with a swift atlantic for a track car. Great cars but short life motors, high maintenance everything.

Other reasons would include the fact that many groups don't have an open wheel group and running that car with closed wheels is nuts.

They don't react well to any off course excursions. Low ground clearance and full aero means that you rip parts off when you go agricultural.

With no track experience you'll more than likely put it in the wall and spend 12k fixing that oops. You'll destroy the gearbox which will be a big bill. Engines are 12-15k for rebuilds easily. The limits of the car are so high you'll never learn much.

With no experience on track it's just a bad idea to think about an Atlantic.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

NOT a good car to start out with just to have some fun summer track days...
Old 03-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootin159
You're gonna have trouble finding track time with an open wheeler that's NOT part of a race weekend. There's no such thing as HPDE for open-wheelers (at least that I've found).
FWIW NJMP and VIR member days both have an open wheel group. Occasionally some real cool cars show up. Vintage F1, Formula Jr, etc.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

And you really have to be in physical shape to enjoy it.

They are very quick indeed.

c.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:57 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

Check out the SCCA Formula Mazda for an Atlantic type car that is a lot cheaper to run and holds it's value well. Also has an optional sports racer type body in case you don't want to, or can't run open wheel.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:14 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The FA cars are a wonderful experience... BUT, not for the average Joe who just wants to play... There are better options if you really have to have an open wheel car. The F Mazda is good, a F2000 is another option or The SCCA FE cars are all better choices.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:50 PM
drbooba1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris Walrod works for Swift and posts here, try a search he is a great guy and should be able to answer your questions.

regards
Old 03-02-2011, 08:58 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Never having been on track before, might I suggest attending one of the several schools which will take you from full beginner to open-wheel experienced?

If you haven't driven a purpose-built race car you're really missing out. However, I wouldn't necessarily rush to try and explore limits with a modern FA, etc. and its capability with aero. Plenty of them out there that "merely" let you explore the limits of mechanical grip. (Which my cousin's kid is finding out now, having gotten a seat in British Formula Ford. Going to be an interesting year following his progress racing in a series that we know will likely produce a driver who will be involved with some F1 team in probably '14 or '15.)
Old 03-02-2011, 09:03 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

An Atlantic car is a very bad choice for trackdays, especially for a beginner.

These cars are complex, high maintenance, very sensitive to setup and you can easily kill yourself with the speed and aero. Other than that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?

I suggest you start with an introduction to the track - good suggestions here. DE in a street car, racing school to experience a purpose built car, etc.

If you want a purpose built car (and I am a huge fan of those) for trackdays, I would suggest the Radical SR-3 - probably the lowest maintenance of those type of cars and has a 'real' 2nd seat.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:30 AM
prg
Pro

Choosing an atlantic for a first track car is the equivalent of learning to fly in a F-16. The $50k buy in is just the tip of the financial iceberg on an atlantic. The care and feeding is where the real cost is. I'd disagree with the above posts about your safety. An atlantic is a very safe car to crash. They have excellent driver protection with a full carbon fiber tub. Unfortunately, you are likely to learn about the crashworthiness of your new atlantic the hard way.

I would agree with most of the above advice. Try a race school in an open wheel car to see if it's for you before you buy one. I've owned a standard formula mazda and currently race a pro formula mazda. Standard FM's, formula fords, and formula continentals would make a better choice choice of first race car than an atlantic, F1000, or pro FM. The FE cars have been plagued by gearbox issues. The Radical is a reasonable choice if you know you don't want to race, but is uncompetitive with other sports racers in anything except the radical only race series. If you live where there is a radical series it's worth considering, otherwise I'd probably choose something else.

Driving a sports racer or openwheeler in a trackday environment is like riding secretariat with a bunch of clydesdales. You'll be held up all the time and have to putt putt around the corners. If you have access to a country club track with an open wheel run group, you may love it even if you choose not to race. If you do purchase an openwheeler or sportsracer don't be surprised if you're racing it pretty soon after purchase.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:02 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Atlantic is the last place you want to start.

If you want light car for DE days there are alternatives. Ariel Atom is pretty close to an open car, but still a "road car". Then there is the Lotus Elise too.

Don't foget any non-streetable car need to be towed to the track. That alone can cost you 60k for tow vehicle. Then there is on going expense of maintenance and tires. Even putzing around the track costs money and in general the more hp, bigger the tires and lower the lap times the more money you spend.

If you have never tracked before take the GT3 to DE day and run some laps. The GT3 is a very good out of box track car and most people with no track time cannot even come close to its limits.

Anyway do the DE in GT3 and just take it all in. Look at what other people drive and get some ideas on what works and what does not. See how people do track days. Some pull-up in bone stock cars and enjoy. Other change tires and that is all. Thers have nearly track only car and deal with a rough drive. Then there are the guys that tow that range from an old tow vehicle and an old track car to the guys with 100K haulers and 3-4 guys doing trackside support.

Who has more fun? It could be anybody, maybe even the guy in ugly looking beat-up 944 that is living his dream just by saving up his money for months to turn a few laps at the track 2-3 times a year. Money spent and speed are not good signs of who is enjoying their track days the most.

Quick Reply: Anyone know formula atlantic and swift cars..