Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know formula atlantic and swift cars..

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 10:11 PM
prg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I''ve never experienced anything close to as fun as racing in a big field of open wheeled cars. Anything else feels like an unresponsive pig after driving a well set up open wheeler (or sports racer.)
Old 03-06-2011, 02:28 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by prg
I''ve never experienced anything close to as fun as racing in a big field of open wheeled cars. Anything else feels like an unresponsive pig after driving a well set up open wheeler (or sports racer.)
+1!!

Oh, we sell and service these too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE_bk...eature=related
Old 03-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Ron Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well stated, C.J.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:37 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ok... Here goes

an Atlantic is the REAL deal....

I raced pro in 96-97-98

So to answer ur question.... Don't touch it with a 10 ft pole
1 it takes a crew to run and maintain
2 maint hours r double than hours run
3 hellu expensive... About $25 per mile that's 75 per lap at mid Ohio just in wear and consumables
4 if u get the 1.6l your rebuilding at 500-600 mi if it doesn't blow up first due to a missed shift or over rev etc
6 ways to many adjustments setups gear ratios aero
I had a full on engineering team figuring that **** out

Now per the swift 8a
Not a great car... All tubs had to go back to the factory for some reinforcements and tub flex issues
14 way better
16 that car is amazing I hear never owned or drove one

Now if u have the $$$ it's the most fun u can have with your clothes on!
Old 03-06-2011, 11:40 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Ok re read ur post

Never tracked?

Pro Atlantic car?
Old 03-06-2011, 11:48 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-07-2011, 10:29 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by tasracer
Now per the swift 8a
All tubs had to go back to the factory for some reinforcements and tub flex issues
I remember this clearly -- I was one of a few folks who repaired them all. The lower tub was prone to damage and delam.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:08 AM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Do u remember the rear spindle issue?

They wer machined wrong and didn't have a beveled relief in one area making them snap

Lazzaro went airborne backwards into turn 1 at Nazareth at 140 mph

We were given one right rear replacement properly made

Talk about doubts driving an oval flat out
Old 03-07-2011, 11:21 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by tasracer
Do u remember the rear spindle issue?

They wer machined wrong and didn't have a beveled relief in one area making them snap

Lazzaro went airborne backwards into turn 1 at Nazareth at 140 mph

We were given one right rear replacement properly made

Talk about doubts driving an oval flat out
Yes, all to clearly, sadly. That one knocked Anthony out! Strange part is we cycle tested the rear hub pin way beyond its useful life without any signs of failure -- goes to show that real insitu part life analysis is king. There were a number is issues with that car, which is why the 014.a is so much better of a car. Much stiffer as well!!
Old 03-08-2011, 11:04 AM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Yeah the 8a sucked.... I LOVED my Ralt RT-41... got it down to a 1:18 at mid Ohio indycar w/e finishing 8th if i recall

Its out there still racing

My 8a is no more.... Don't know what oval did it but it got written off...
Old 03-08-2011, 02:33 PM
prg
Pro

What are people doing for engines in the 016? I thought those cars were run with an engine lease deal in the pro series?
Old 03-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by prg
Choosing an atlantic for a first track car is the equivalent of learning to fly in a F-16. The $50k buy in is just the tip of the financial iceberg on an atlantic. The care and feeding is where the real cost is. I'd disagree with the above posts about your safety. An atlantic is a very safe car to crash. They have excellent driver protection with a full carbon fiber tub. Unfortunately, you are likely to learn about the crashworthiness of your new atlantic the hard way.

I would agree with most of the above advice. Try a race school in an open wheel car to see if it's for you before you buy one. I've owned a standard formula mazda and currently race a pro formula mazda. Standard FM's, formula fords, and formula continentals would make a better choice choice of first race car than an atlantic, F1000, or pro FM. The FE cars have been plagued by gearbox issues. The Radical is a reasonable choice if you know you don't want to race, but is uncompetitive with other sports racers in anything except the radical only race series. If you live where there is a radical series it's worth considering, otherwise I'd probably choose something else.

Driving a sports racer or openwheeler in a trackday environment is like riding secretariat with a bunch of clydesdales. You'll be held up all the time and have to putt putt around the corners. If you have access to a country club track with an open wheel run group, you may love it even if you choose not to race. If you do purchase an openwheeler or sportsracer don't be surprised if you're racing it pretty soon after purchase.
For the most part, I would agree with everything above, however I will point out that not all Atlantic cars are carbon fiber. I know of at least one modern tube frame car that is listed in Atlantic, and I know there are some old aluminum chassis cars from the 70's that are still kicking around. I would argue that a new carbon car would be much "better" than an aluminum vintage piece. It might be more accurate to say that most of the competitive cars are carbon.

I really think that a spec Miata or Spec Racer Ford would be WAY better than starting with an atlantic car. If you had to go to a formula car, I would try to find a Formula F car that is running a Honda Fit engine. I really believe you could have some low maintenance fun in one of those if you don't bang it up too bad while you are learning.

As for me, I decided to go with a shifter kart. This will be my first season, so I don't have much to reflect so far. I can say that it is wicked fun based on some parking lot testing.

Lastly, be sure to get logbooks and HOMOLOGATION PAPERS if you're buying an open wheel car, especially if it is older than 10 years. I deal with this paperwork for a living, and the older cars can sometimes be really be tough to get into compliance.

Last edited by Auto_Werks 3.6; 07-10-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:45 PM
prg
Pro

I've been tempted by carts, but I'm to chicken to race anything without a cage or carbon tub. If I break my wrist, I'm out of work.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:20 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't/didn't formula atlantics use a 4AGE with ~250bhp?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:58 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Yes from king hiro in 89 until the 16a and cosworth Mazda 300+ HP

Quick Reply: Anyone know formula atlantic and swift cars..