Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts
Default OT: space shuttle Discovery launch as seen from an airplane

Old 02-28-2011, 12:50 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

that was awesome. too bad they didnt film when the booster rockets were ejected.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:50 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pilot obviously has a sense of humor. "People on the right side of the aircraft you can see the launch of the space shuttle out your window. People on the left side of the aircraft you can see a bunch of people on the right side of the aircraft watching the launch."
Old 02-28-2011, 01:29 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

REAL effing horsepower

Yes, by all means, lets reduce funding to something that delivers Shock and Awe and Inspiration and instead make sure we spend our tax dollars on interest and personal/corporate bailouts.

That was awesome!
Old 02-28-2011, 11:53 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

And the power goes up with every MPH the shuttle goes faster! (sorry, I had to! )

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
REAL effing horsepower

Yes, by all means, lets reduce funding to something that delivers Shock and Awe and Inspiration and instead make sure we spend our tax dollars on interest and personal/corporate bailouts.

That was awesome!
Old 03-01-2011, 02:22 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know, I heard that torque wins space races.

VR, thanks for the video!
Old 03-02-2011, 12:07 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel pride mixed with some sadness watching this. It's sad to see the end of US manned space flight program for who knows how long. And no guarantee that we'll ever be back in space using our own spacecraft after the shuttle retires if America's fiscal decisions continue as they are trending. The shuttle is obsolete and needs to be retired as all older generations of air and space craft do. But shame on us for not having the next generation of space craft ready to go. I grew up in the late 60's watching Apollo launches in my school classroom. I still remember the enormous sense of pride, even as a child, watching the grainy live video of the awesome Saturn V shaking the ground, as sheets of ice fell away as it cleared the gantry. Somewhere along the way, we (the US) stopped being leaders in spacecraft technology. I guess American astronauts will be begging rides into space with the Russians and someday soon, probably the Chinese.

Ok, off the soapbox now. Thanks for sharing the video. It is inspiring to watch.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:23 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
I feel pride mixed with some sadness watching this. It's sad to see the end of US manned space flight program for who knows how long. And no guarantee that we'll ever be back in space using our own spacecraft after the shuttle retires if America's fiscal decisions continue as they are trending. The shuttle is obsolete and needs to be retired as all older generations of air and space craft do. But shame on us for not having the next generation of space craft ready to go. I grew up in the late 60's watching Apollo launches in my school classroom. I still remember the enormous sense of pride, even as a child, watching the grainy live video of the awesome Saturn V shaking the ground, as sheets of ice fell away as it cleared the gantry. Somewhere along the way, we (the US) stopped being leaders in spacecraft technology. I guess American astronauts will be begging rides into space with the Russians and someday soon, probably the Chinese.

Ok, off the soapbox now. Thanks for sharing the video. It is inspiring to watch.
+1!
Old 03-02-2011, 02:35 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Meanwhile, I was down there on the beach watching this, and then took a photo of a plane that went by, mistaking it for the shuttle. I'll bet that was this plane!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: OT: space shuttle Discovery launch as seen from an airplane