Narain Karthikeyen
0%
HRT Driver #2 TBD
1.16%
Timo Glock
0%
Jerome d' Ambrosio
0%
Takuma Sato (Fingers crossed for HRT #2)
2.33%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

2011 Australian Grand Prix (looks like Bahrain is out)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 12:54 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,969 Posts

McLaren 'have a fundamental issue', car is 'a mess'

BBC F1's triumvirate of Martin Brundle, David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan have painted a bleak picture indeed for the prospects of McLaren-Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button heading into the forthcoming 2011 campaign...
Jenson Button has already conceded that he would be 'surprised' if McLaren-Mercedes can take the fight to early 2011 pace-setters and arch-rivals Red Bull Racing and Ferrari come the Melbourne curtain-raiser at the end of the month, but BBC's triumvirate of F1 pundits have gone rather further than that, variously and scathingly describing the troubled new MP4-26 as 'a mess', carrying 'a fundamental issue' and even warranting the construction of 'a whole new car'.

Despite Button's optimism after lapping second-quickest to Red Bull's Mark Webber on the opening day of the final pre-season test around Barcelona's Circuit de Catalunya this week [see separate story – click here], expectations at Woking heading into the forthcoming campaign are clearly not as high as had been hoped for, with poor initial reliability having hampered set-up and development work. Never mind not being able to take on the likes of RBR and Ferrari, right now the MP4-26 scarcely looks capable of worrying Lotus Renault GP.

“I would be surprised if we can match the Red Bull and the Ferrari when we get to Melbourne,” mused the 2009 F1 World Champion, undefeated Down Under since his title-winning year. “It's a big ask. To be on their pace is going to be tricky, [but] never say never. I am quite impressed with the step that we have made with the car from last week. However, it is still not enough.”

Indeed, on the basis of Tuesday's running, the reliability problems still frustratingly persist, and just three days of testing now remain before the flag drops on the new season with the Australian Grand Prix on 27 March. McLaren has not claimed the drivers' title since Lewis Hamilton triumphed in 2008, and for one of the most successful teams in the history of the sport, there have been no constructors' laurels for more than a decade. Martin Brundle, David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan fear the MP4-26 is emphatically not the car to turn that tide.

“I watched the [McLaren] out on-track a week ago and it's a mess,” contended Brundle, a former McLaren driver himself. “It didn't slow down; it didn't turn in; it couldn't get the power down. Lewis looked absolutely at sea in the thing. Clearly, they have a fundamental issue.”

The Englishman's new BBC F1 commentary box partner Coulthard concurs that although, as 2009 ably proved, the multiple world champions have the experience, resources and expertise to play catch-up and get on terms with the front-runners, in such a fast-paced sport, by the time they do so – as 2009 similarly proved – it will likely be too late to save Messrs. Button and Hamilton's title chances.

“If your car doesn't run quick straight out-of-the-blocks then it is a problem,” reflected the Scot, according to The Daily Telegraph. “By the time you sort it out, everyone will have brought their second and third upgrades along.”

Ex-team owner Jordan, meanwhile, has pointed the finger of blame firmly at McLaren's recent practice of alternating its designers from one year to the next, stymying continuity in a testing-deprived era in which just such continuity is key. The ever-outspoken Irishman fears the team's bid for glory in F1 2011 may be over before it has even begun.

“I have a real problem with McLaren over this whole concept,” the 63-year-old admitted. “Where is the thought process? Where is the evolution? [Red Bull chief technical officer] Adrian Newey doesn't do things like that. No major, winning team currently uses that system. I don't get it. Both of the drivers are very unhappy. It probably needs a whole new car at this early stage.

“McLaren have done this now too often. This was all very fine in David's era when there was a test team, test-drivers, a whole support act behind you – that is why McLaren and Ferrari were always strong – but I'm sorry, that is no longer possible and they are suffering as a result.”
Old 03-09-2011, 03:18 PM
944meister
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kamui for points
Old 03-09-2011, 05:20 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

What a disaster this year may be for McLaren and for us. I have been hoping there would be at least 5 teams competing for the victory at every race. Now, with McL have problems, Kubica out, Mercedes not showing any signs of competitive pace, this year may be a lot less entertaining. If RB and Ferrari are 1 sec or more faster than the rest of the field, we will have a 3 driver challenge. Massa will, of course, be told "Fernando is faster. Do you understand? Fernando is faster."

Sigh.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I see the Finn is trying to put the "vote" hex on Alonso right out of the gate.

Nicely done.....
Old 03-09-2011, 06:22 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Ray S.: You can change HRT driver #2 to "Luizzi". It's confirmed. Sato will have to wait another year.

Randy: What would be worse is if RB is 1 sec. faster than both Ferraris giving us a 1 horse race (or 2 bulls if you prefer). All others including MB, McLaren etc. apear to be far behind. Agree that last year was great because of the many WDC lead swaps.

Remember McLaren had to adjust to Bridgestone tires from Michelin just a couple years ago. They will do the same with Pirellis. Mac has shown they can develop a car better than others in this era of no inseason testing.

Williams seem to have a lot of pace, but that was the case last year too. Q2-3 is where we will see true pace.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:15 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I suspect that this will be a repeat of 2010, with RBR and Ferrari fighting for the lead. Sebby has to be the favorite and Webber will fight very hard for the number one spot on RBR and Fernando will once again prove himself Ferrari's number one driver If Kubica was competing, I would give Renault a chance, but Petrov is no Kubica Lewis and Button are always dangerous both being world champions, and the power of McLaren backing them. You can't count out Schumy and Nico with MBZ in their silver bullets
Old 03-10-2011, 02:14 AM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't get Mclaren. If you look at everything they do, they are so precise, so driven to make the best, highest quality product available. With that philosophy, that means building a winning F1 car. Yet, the last three years, they've come up short, twice now, thanks to their own arrogance. The F-duct compromised the ride quality of the car to the point where once that idea was copied, they fell behind. Now, they're trying to reinvent the wheel again. If there's anything to be learned from the teams/designers that have great success over prolonged periods is that their cars are about evolution, not revolution.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:32 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Shame they don't take the F1 circus to Bathurst instead of Melbourne. Now that would be interesting!!
Old 03-10-2011, 07:38 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Ray S.: You can change HRT driver #2 to "Luizzi". It's confirmed. Sato will have to wait another year.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:04 AM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Mercedes not showing any signs of competitive pace, this year may be a lot less entertaining.
I know your post was written before Friday's testing, but Schumacher put in the fastest lap time to win the F1 Winter WDC.

McLaren are not out of it despite what the exagerating British press would make everybody believe. Sure they may not be on the podium for the first race, but if any team has the talent and platform to improve, it's McLaren. Thier car is a huge departure from last year, so of course it will take time to get up to speed. I would hate it, but I would not be surprised if McLaren started dominating this year.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:08 AM
PPo
Drifting

Strategy will have a lot more impact this season. The current Ferrari team didn't display too much capability in adjusting mid-race strategy last year... McLaren play a strong but conservative strategy... but I am guessing that Mercedes with Ross Brawn and Schumacher will make some strategy calls that puts the team (Rosberg and Schumacher) on the podium more often then not...

Of course, Redbull will be in there as well. So it will be a 4 team race when you consider outright speed, strategy and race pace.

From a race pace perspective, Ferrari has it by a long shot IMHO.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:03 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
Strategy will have a lot more impact this season. The current Ferrari team didn't display too much capability in adjusting mid-race strategy last year... McLaren play a strong but conservative strategy... but I am guessing that Mercedes with Ross Brawn and Schumacher will make some strategy calls that puts the team (Rosberg and Schumacher) on the podium more often then not...

Of course, Redbull will be in there as well. So it will be a 4 team race when you consider outright speed, strategy and race pace.

From a race pace perspective, Ferrari has it by a long shot IMHO.
Ferrari won three races in the second half of the season, and Fernando finished 2nd in the WDC points That's not bad
Old 03-12-2011, 10:35 PM
DanR
Drifting

alonso all the way for this year
Old 03-12-2011, 11:05 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 Alonso for WDC!
Old 03-12-2011, 11:06 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

or massa, hell who am I kidding? I'd vote for a monkey in a Ferrari

Quick Reply: 2011 Australian Grand Prix (looks like Bahrain is out)