Daytona 500 racing in pairs - wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 10:29 AM
Motobob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Edit...

I retract everything I posted earlier... That was one hell of an impressive finish and truly memorable. Congrats to 20 year old first timer, Trevor Bane.

This race broke all previous records for lead changes, cautions, and the youngest to win... If nothing else, it was action packed.

Mike
You highlighted the unintended consequence, 13+ cautions.... cuz they race bumper cars....
Old 02-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by U4EEAH
The Ringling Bros. circus is also action packed...BUT IT AINT RACING
Yeah, those guys aren't real racers like us club racers are!!!!
Old 02-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Veer12
Banned

Thumbs down

The cars have finally turned gay.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:39 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

listening to the racers asking others to be their dance partners had a bit of High School drama IMO and that does not address the whole, "who's pitching and who's catching" scenario
Old 02-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by VERBOTN
listening to the racers asking others to be their dance partners had a bit of High School drama IMO and that does not address the whole, "who's pitching and who's catching" scenario
ew ew ew ew ew

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-21-2011, 11:03 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Motobob
You highlighted the unintended consequence, 13+ cautions.... cuz they race bumper cars....
16 cautions. I have to admit - for a regular public this drafting created a heck of a show with all those spins and crashes. but i think to take out 15 cars at once just because of drafting is a bit overkill and same happened at 6-5th lap before the end. imho it is still ridicolous but it is definitely a show and as most folks come to nascar to see spectacular crashes it is probably going to be quite marketable.

i just wonder - how are they deciding now how who is pushing and who is going to be pushed to win - 'rock and paper' before race or one team pays off other team for 'support'?
Old 02-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
What is going on there - is it a new strategy now that every driver got to find a mate to push him through the race or be screwed?
Shake 'n Bake
Old 02-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
At least in NASCAR there is passing...lots of passing.
huh? Did you not watch the 500? It was drivers yappin on the radio about engine temps and needing to swap places so their engines didn't overheat. It was like watchin "Dancin with the Stars - NASCAR Edition"

C.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:20 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NASCAR has seen it's days numbered. Switch. Swap. Exchange. Whoever does it last, wins. Yawn.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:20 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

looking forward to the new graphic opportunities with this new "Connecto" style racing. The real question is whether or not the drivers will need to walk thru the pits joined at the hips in like manor for full marketing penetration.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:22 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So after how many years of development, the Car of Tomorrow lasted how long?
Old 02-21-2011, 12:26 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

16 cautions. I have to admit - for a regular public this drafting created a heck of a show with all those spins and crashes. but i think to take out 15 cars at once just because of drafting is a bit overkill and same happened at 6-5th lap before the end. imho it is still ridicolous but it is definitely a show and as most folks come to nascar to see spectacular crashes it is probably going to be quite marketable.
Ever actually been to a race? Nobody shells out hundreds of dollars for tickets/parking/food to watch crashes. Maybe for the tv it sells but in person it sucks. Sitting in the sun watching the trucks clean up up and spread oil dry during a red flag sucks big time....boring as hell. It only happens once in person...maybe you can see the replay screen.

Its a whole different experince in person when you're not getting the whole event filtered through FOX sports or ESPN.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Peter Kelly
Advanced

I can't decide if it reminds me of roller derby or tag team wrestling. Either way, I think the next step is figure 8 tracks.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:46 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by VaSteve
Ever actually been to a race? Nobody shells out hundreds of dollars for tickets/parking/food to watch crashes. Maybe for the tv it sells but in person it sucks. Sitting in the sun watching the trucks clean up up and spread oil dry during a red flag sucks big time....boring as hell. It only happens once in person...maybe you can see the replay screen.

Its a whole different experince in person when you're not getting the whole event filtered through FOX sports or ESPN.
i`ve been to 4 formula 1 races, 2 of them here in indianapolis, 2 in Europe, never been to nascar races and most likely will never be as i cannot handle to watch this 200 lap non-sense live. i watched it recorded in fast forward.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

i`ve been to 4 formula 1 races, 2 of them here in indianapolis, 2 in Europe, never been to nascar races and most likely will never be as i cannot handle to watch this 200 lap non-sense live. i watched it recorded in fast forward.
That is IMO a foolish, myopic, closed-minded view.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Quick Reply: Daytona 500 racing in pairs - wtf?