Paddle shifters in the Flying Lizards RSR

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 11:20 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mklaskin
Such as...?
I'm talking about items that have come to be treated as "comsumables" in the sequential gearboxes. We're making claw collars, shift hubs and the new slip fit dog teeth. There's a few more things on the drawing board, but we're not going to make everything for the box.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:05 AM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
I'm talking about items that have come to be treated as "comsumables" in the sequential gearboxes. We're making claw collars, shift hubs and the new slip fit dog teeth. There's a few more things on the drawing board, but we're not going to make everything for the box.
Good to know. Having rebuilt mine once already, alternate sources for parts can only be a good. BTW, we used Guard everything on my old G-50. Big fan.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:06 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

GT to the rescue!

Holy Crap that video is painful to watch. Sounds horrible
Old 02-16-2011, 12:52 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
For that go to the F1000 class in SCCA. Open rules and now they've gotten to the point that they have fully automatic paddle shifters. Throttle cuts etc. are all computer controlled, it dumps a downshift if you'll overrev the motor etc.

The guys who have really tested it (and are good enough to really test it) say that while the overall fast lap time doesn't drop the average lap time will drop. Sure you can go out and hammer a crazy fast lap but especially with the incredibly short braking zones that some of the these cars have you are really extending the driver pretty far to keep them smooth and consistent in downshifts.

That to me is the problem. There is nothing better than watch a guy put together consistently great laps of shifts and that be the reason he can pull the competition. I mean it's not like there are H-pattern shifters, or old syncros or something. It's the mistakes over the course of the race that separate the better guys from the rest.

And fully automatic is what's going to be the big thing next, and the reasoning will be well now you can not have to worry about shifting at all and just worry about braking and turning. And then what, steering assist? Autopilot, remote control?

I'm just old fashioned I guess, but I can understand not wanting to pay the trans rebuilds and such if those will last longer, but that's the only reason. Other wise I always like to see true talent clearly separated from the rest.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:53 PM
p911carrera
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess Mid-Ohio 2011 is the change over to paddle-shift for FLM. I must agree, you need to advance to stay competitive in this game at this level.
I know you can't get the same feeling and satisfaction as rowing your own, in street, DE, and track. I get that, but Le Mans/ALMS is a different game. Extracting every millisecond counts.

Are they using the same gearbox with just a new electronic control?

Old 09-01-2011, 12:23 AM
jurbina
Advanced

Paddle shift all the way! I suspect there is a reason they use them in F1, probably because they are faster. Frankly, I use them because they are easier and make me faster. Nope, I'm not as a good a driver as many of you guys that can heel-toe perfectly and may never be, no matter how much I try. Sorry to try and minimize your advantage (skill) as much as I can!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Adam@Autometrics
Former Vendor

It is my understanding that they are using the same transmission with electronic/pneumatic controls.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The paddle shifters in my street car (SL63 AMG) shift in as little as 0.1 sec. The fastest I can shift my G50 is about 0.5 sec (upshift) and a 6th to 2nd downshift is definitely non-trivial. I'd love the ease and precision of paddle shifters in the race car.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:27 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mklaskin
Good to know. Having rebuilt mine once already, alternate sources for parts can only be a good. BTW, we used Guard everything on my old G-50. Big fan.
Since this was bumped, I'll mention that the mainshafts and gearsets are now finished. Bullet already has them in their car, and Autometrics recently put some in a customer car...

Quick Reply: Paddle shifters in the Flying Lizards RSR