Sponsored by:

Paddle shifters in the Flying Lizards RSR

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 12:20 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
You can't be serious.....really?!?!?!?! The Ferrari's in ALMS do this...you know what faster shifts mean. Also have you seen the lime green Speed Merchants 997.2 that races with PDK? Very competitive car!...this should pee you off more...they leave PDK in drive in Sport Chrono mode!...PDK is that good!

Doesn't seem like the RSR's using standard sequentials have been at too much a of a disadvantage considering they've won what 10 of the 11 total GT2 championships vs mainly Ferrari's.

At the rate we are going, anyone will be able to spend a couple hundred grand and call themselves a pro racer and run competitive times.

I'd be interested in seeing two cars exactly the same, but one with traditional sequential and one with paddles go at it.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Doesn't seem like the RSR's using standard sequentials have been at too much a of a disadvantage considering they've won what 10 of the 11 total GT2 championships vs mainly Ferrari's.

At the rate we are going, anyone will be able to spend a couple hundred grand and call themselves a pro racer and run competitive times.

I'd be interested in seeing two cars exactly the same, but one with traditional sequential and one with paddles go at it.

Yeah, that is pretty much how I see it as well.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-14-2011, 11:19 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
Who is this...
not me, my revs go up when the clutch is going IN

http://vimeo.com/19751331
Old 02-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

PMNA and Copans will love him, overrevs on the double downs and no rev matches...ouch...
Old 02-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911

For that go to the F1000 class in SCCA. Open rules and now they've gotten to the point that they have fully automatic paddle shifters. Throttle cuts etc. are all computer controlled, it dumps a downshift if you'll overrev the motor etc.

The guys who have really tested it (and are good enough to really test it) say that while the overall fast lap time doesn't drop the average lap time will drop. Sure you can go out and hammer a crazy fast lap but especially with the incredibly short braking zones that some of the these cars have you are really extending the driver pretty far to keep them smooth and consistent in downshifts.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:43 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Paddle shifters in a racing Porsche just sounds & seems wrong. But even more wrong IMO is an auto-blip feaure on downshifts. I mean, come on: if ya can't properly blip the throttle on a downshift, a skill that ain't difficult, WTF are you doing in a full race car to begin with???
I agree 100%. I really hate the dumbing down we're seeing in racecars. It makes it more about the machine than the man behind the wheel. All the electronic gizmos and PDKs and things are great for a high performance high tech. street car/track toy, but I'd like to see some purity and driver skill left in actual racing.

And as an example, I would hold up Chris Musante, who with his 20 year old chassis, air cooled engine, and our H-pattern dog box in his G50 gives the modern Cup Cars hell. That man can drive...
Old 02-14-2011, 02:14 PM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveM993
I am surprised the driver is not using left foot braking....
It is best to use the clutch on the downshifts with the Porsche sequential. It can be done without using the clutch but it is easier on the dog teeth to use it.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:20 PM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 69 Posts

I don't think paddle shift on the same RSR tranny would make it any faster. It would still up shift at the same speed. The only advantage would be if you could left foot brake so the transition time front the throttle pedal to brake would be faster. The brake pressure would be easier to control without having to roll your foot to heel/toe but for top level guys that isn't a problem anyway.

I believe there is a company in England that has paddle shift conversions for the Porsche sequential. A pneumatic actuator to shift the cable up and down and a mechanical blipper for the downshifts would just about do it. Would need a switch to cut the ignition timing on the up shifts like the strain gauge does in the factory shifter.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by coryf
It is best to use the clutch on the downshifts with the Porsche sequential. It can be done without using the clutch but it is easier on the dog teeth to use it.

I think he might have meant the places where the driver was braking w/o downshifting.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-14-2011, 02:57 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Originally Posted by coryf
I don't think paddle shift on the same RSR tranny would make it any faster. It would still up shift at the same speed. The only advantage would be if you could left foot brake so the transition time front the throttle pedal to brake would be faster. The brake pressure would be easier to control without having to roll your foot to heel/toe but for top level guys that isn't a problem anyway.

I believe there is a company in England that has paddle shift conversions for the Porsche sequential. A pneumatic actuator to shift the cable up and down and a mechanical blipper for the downshifts would just about do it. Would need a switch to cut the ignition timing on the up shifts like the strain gauge does in the factory shifter.
Couldn't the strain guage on the shifter stay as is? Doesn't it work once the lever moves to cut the ignition? In other words, the lever would move as a result of the cable being pulled?

Sounds like a project for Gordon...
Old 02-14-2011, 04:04 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Part of the fun in watching the FL RSR is watching the shift action...take that away and zzzzzzzzz............
Old 02-14-2011, 04:19 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
Part of the fun in watching the FL RSR is watching the shift action...take that away and zzzzzzzzz............
If it makes the transmission more reliable, while being just that little bit faster...

Plus at the rate Porsche evolves, it would homologate the paddle shifters for club guys in only 25 more years.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:31 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

that is pure sex!
Originally Posted by mklaskin
Considering that the RSR gearbox is derived directly from the RS Spyder, adapting paddleshift to a GT2 car should be pretty straightfoward.

It's been done before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI9Jx...eature=related
Old 02-14-2011, 04:34 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

The lost art (or soon to be), i agree!

Hey, try and take a lap in a 928 and then your 911, even Chris', will seem like a automatic!

Originally Posted by GTgears
I agree 100%. I really hate the dumbing down we're seeing in racecars. It makes it more about the machine than the man behind the wheel. All the electronic gizmos and PDKs and things are great for a high performance high tech. street car/track toy, but I'd like to see some purity and driver skill left in actual racing.

And as an example, I would hold up Chris Musante, who with his 20 year old chassis, air cooled engine, and our H-pattern dog box in his G50 gives the modern Cup Cars hell. That man can drive...
Old 02-14-2011, 04:39 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

my eyes, my ears, ahhhhh! that was funny!

HeyVR, he was running around max torque the entire time though

I could hear it now after getting towed in. ... "Mr Buckler, I was just shifting normally, and it just died on me......... can I still get my diposit back? )

mk

Originally Posted by analogmike

Last edited by mark kibort; 02-14-2011 at 06:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Paddle shifters in the Flying Lizards RSR