Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paddle shifters in the Flying Lizards RSR

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,652 Likes on 853 Posts

Paddle shifters in a racing Porsche just sounds & seems wrong. But even more wrong IMO is an auto-blip feaure on downshifts. I mean, come on: if ya can't properly blip the throttle on a downshift, a skill that ain't difficult, WTF are you doing in a full race car to begin with???

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

VR - the downshift with the CUP sequential box is not easy. Even the pros mess up and if you blow a half dozen of them, Brian Copans is going to see your money. The mechanical blip helps and I suspect the electronic one will help more. I am comfortable with heel and toe and my first drive in an RSR was an eye opener. Took me 4 laps to get the hang of it and this was at a DE - no racing adrenalin
Old 02-13-2011, 01:12 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Paddle shifters in a racing Porsche just sounds & seems wrong. But even more wrong IMO is an auto-blip feaure on downshifts. I mean, come on: if ya can't properly blip the throttle on a downshift, a skill that ain't difficult, WTF are you doing in a full race car to begin with???

I think at a certain point it becomes a matter of speed and reliability. All of the RSR pilots should be able to heel & toe with ease, but if a paddle shift allows faster shifts, less fatigue on the drivetrain (and consumables), and driver(s) (over a 12 or 24 hour period), then why not? The technology has been amortized so I doubt it's a cost issue.

Not trying to discount the skill needed to execute a clean heel & toe downshift. Rather, I think a driver has more to consider with tighter brake zones, closer racing, more input towards set-up & strategy, closing speeds, etc., etc.

From my perspective, I'd welcome a paddle shift Cup Car. These sequentials are only marginally quicker than a traditional 6-speed, but the rev-matching and rebuild headaches aren't worth it. They do look cool, big gear lever and all...
Old 02-13-2011, 01:13 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

One more thing: Do we know if the new 458 has a paddle shift? Could it be that the RSR is getting some sort of performance equalization to be competitive against a new platform?
Old 02-13-2011, 03:10 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I accept the fact that the paddles are likely here for good....wish it existed and I could afford it: gt3RS with paddles/pdk....race optimized shifting. The key is for them to make the pdk cheap and easy to service too.....read really cheap like under 1k to replace wear and tear parts at most. I know, dream on.

Jeff
Old 02-13-2011, 03:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mklaskin
I think at a certain point it becomes a matter of speed and reliability. All of the RSR pilots should be able to heel & toe with ease, but if a paddle shift allows faster shifts, less fatigue on the drivetrain (and consumables), and driver(s) (over a 12 or 24 hour period), then why not? The technology has been amortized so I doubt it's a cost issue.

Not trying to discount the skill needed to execute a clean heel & toe downshift. Rather, I think a driver has more to consider with tighter brake zones, closer racing, more input towards set-up & strategy, closing speeds, etc., etc.

From my perspective, I'd welcome a paddle shift Cup Car. These sequentials are only marginally quicker than a traditional 6-speed, but the rev-matching and rebuild headaches aren't worth it. They do look cool, big gear lever and all...
Which is why I still prefer the 6 Cup!

Bob, it is definitely a more "precision" thing to blip a 7 Cup properly compared with a stick shift...but IMO this is what differentiates good drivers. When you dumb stuff like this down--stuff that even pros occasionally mess up--what's left?

JMHO....

Old 02-13-2011, 05:05 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

sequential shifting demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTUedSdilzY
Old 02-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by analogmike
sequential shifting demo

Old 02-13-2011, 06:28 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

You can't be serious.....really?!?!?!?! The Ferrari's in ALMS do this...you know what faster shifts mean. Also have you seen the lime green Speed Merchants 997.2 that races with PDK? Very competitive car!...this should pee you off more...they leave PDK in drive in Sport Chrono mode!...PDK is that good!
Old 02-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Who is this...
Old 02-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
You can't be serious.....really?!?!?!?! The Ferrari's in ALMS do this...you know what faster shifts mean. Also have you seen the lime green Speed Merchants 997.2 that races with PDK? Very competitive car!...this should pee you off more...they leave PDK in drive in Sport Chrono mode!...PDK is that good!
I know, I know....dislike the concept of both of those. Yes I am a neanderthal who prefers that the driver actually has to do more than point & shoot. Why don't we all just get Nissan GTR's and be done with it?

Old 02-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Apex GT
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which is why I still prefer the 6 Cup!

Bob, it is definitely a more "precision" thing to blip a 7 Cup properly compared with a stick shift...but IMO this is what differentiates good drivers. When you dumb stuff like this down--stuff that even pros occasionally mess up--what's left?

JMHO....

I agree, the more driver involvement the greater the skills required to be quick, this the differntiating factor from the play station crowd. Having said that Porsches needs to stay current with the competition.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:07 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

I couldn't take it...Had to bail.

I get VR's point. I miss the 6-speed from my old RSR.

Perhaps a better take on sequentials...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3hrp...feature=fvwrel
Old 02-13-2011, 09:53 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mklaskin
I couldn't take it...Had to bail.

I get VR's point. I miss the 6-speed from my old RSR.

Perhaps a better take on sequentials...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3hrp...feature=fvwrel
I am surprised the driver is not using left foot braking....
Old 02-13-2011, 11:59 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

I know, I know....dislike the concept of both of those. Yes I am a neanderthal who prefers that the driver actually has to do more than point & shoot. Why don't we all just get Nissan GTR's and be done with it?

I'm just sayin'....for competitive racing you understand why these teams use a Sequential as long as the rules allow it. For a DE guy or a guy who amatuer races..yeah use a manual if that is what you like and have fun doing....me ...I have no choice and the PDK was a godsend for a guy like me.

Quick Reply: Paddle shifters in the Flying Lizards RSR