Sponsored by:

Club Race Enduro Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
I find that the Connecticut Stock SCs and Carreras end up fuel starving after 60 minutes...
Fixed it for ya. Funny the rest of us don't have that problem.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:25 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok I understand the difference of Opinion on why some like the 60 or the 90 My question is

"Does any other PCA Club Race drop a flag 1 hr into an enduro to let them off the track and continue on for a longer enduro"? that is what we want to try, looking for some president in doing it if we are challenged.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:38 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Frank,
Saw you note via and had to log back in to reply.

Anyway, I have never seen that done. Wouldn't that lead to a lot of confusion and problems on the "cool down lap" for those who took the check mixed in with the rest of us still racing?
Old 02-09-2011, 02:08 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Good point john NASA does it that way and it has worked. This past may in the DE we started throwing the Checker flag at Turn 8 madness instead of the front straight which meant a shorter cool down lap, we suggested to those folks if your car was still warm or hot when you came off the track you just drove on through the paddock and up toward the front gate till you cooled it to your liking.

We would be dropping the checker at the front straight like normal your cool down lap would have to be at 7 tenths which it should be in my view anyway. Then if you have to roll through the paddock.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PBOC did what you're proposing during the night race at Winterfest. I wasn't in the race so I can't comment on any potential issues but I didn't hear any complaints.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I crewed for a NASA enduro where the threw an early checker for those that didn't want to run full distance. It was pretty confusing for our driver who pushed hard the whole race trying to catch a car that had pulled off at the first checker.

For PCA I'd be afraid that doing a 90/60 split would dilute the classes, and make it less likely that you have someone to race with if you're going the full distance.

I prefer a 90 minute enduro, but I understand and won't complain if you have to make it 60 to attract those who are unable to refuel.

Regarding course configuration, I strongly prefer the pro course due to the additional passing opportunity it provides. However, its hard to complain about running both like we did last year. If you're running three races, there's no reason why you can't run multiple configurations and make everyone happy.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:13 PM
carreracoupe997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Randy, will you be racing in the Club Race at Road Atlanta this March?
Old 02-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
And Bob, I wasn't really impressed with the added passing opportunity on the Pro course... It seemed to reward more hp and bigger brakes...
Hint: The braking zone is much more uphill than it seems, so you don't need as much braking there as you might first think.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Child
Hint: The braking zone is much more uphill than it seems, so you don't need as much braking there as you might first think.
+1. One of my 2 favorite parts of MO.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

However, its hard to complain about running both like we did last year. If you're running three races, there's no reason why you can't run multiple configurations and make everyone happy.
I would be completely fine with that... A little variety is good. Last year's intention was great (one sprint on the Pro course, the other sprint and enduro on the Club course)... but as you know it didn't happen that way.

John, you're on and I'll do the same for you... but hopefully we'll be in the same group!
Old 02-09-2011, 03:42 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 645 Likes on 326 Posts

I agree with Jim: you have two configurations, run them both like last year. that was fun, changed it up a bit.

Frank, the reality is, it's up to the Steward. Send a note to Bryan, he'll know if it's been done, or if it's even something that PCA would ever consider. Not sure I would be a fan of it though. If there are cars going 7/10 getting in the way of a few cars racing, that could be disasterous. Plus, 60 min is when a lot of cars come in for pitstops. if cars are slowing down for a cool down, then coming into the pits, it might get confusing for everyone.

Also, what about the 5 min manditory pit stop? do the 60 min drivers have to take one? how would Timing and Scoring keep track of that? And how would they know if you were coming in to end, or pit... T&S already has their hands full with pit stops....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 02-09-2011, 04:18 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To answer the original question - do not under any circumstances make it a double checker race. Based on the driving at Sebring, half of the drivers' heads would explode due to information overload. And I prefer a 90 minute enduro to a 60 minute one.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:08 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

I crewed for a NASA enduro where the threw an early checker for those that didn't want to run full distance. It was pretty confusing for our driver who pushed hard the whole race trying to catch a car that had pulled off at the first checker.

For PCA I'd be afraid that doing a 90/60 split would dilute the classes, and make it less likely that you have someone to race with if you're going the full distance.

I prefer a 90 minute enduro, but I understand and won't complain if you have to make it 60 to attract those who are unable to refuel.

Regarding course configuration, I strongly prefer the pro course due to the additional passing opportunity it provides. However, its hard to complain about running both like we did last year. If you're running three races, there's no reason why you can't run multiple configurations and make everyone happy.
Jim I can tell you right now we are looking at options, but I can tell you i do not think PCA would approve an enduro less than 90. Having done a 90 myself, a 60 is not really an enduro in light of our 45 min sprints. So the issue is either a split flag or a 90.
Originally Posted by naroescape
I agree with Jim: you have two configurations, run them both like last year. that was fun, changed it up a bit.

Frank, the reality is, it's up to the Steward. Send a note to Bryan, he'll know if it's been done, or if it's even something that PCA would ever consider. Not sure I would be a fan of it though. If there are cars going 7/10 getting in the way of a few cars racing, that could be disasterous. Plus, 60 min is when a lot of cars come in for pitstops. if cars are slowing down for a cool down, then coming into the pits, it might get confusing for everyone.

Also, what about the 5 min manditory pit stop? do the 60 min drivers have to take one? how would Timing and Scoring keep track of that? And how would they know if you were coming in to end, or pit... T&S already has their hands full with pit stops....
This may be just an exercise, as it might not be approved even if we recommended it, but nothing ventured nothing gained. If we did the split there would be no mandatory stop for the 60 guys. I for one think we can handle the slowing traffic in an enduro or i at least hope we could, as the pace is supposed to be a bit more controlled. But the point is well taken.

On the track configuration. I think there is a good chance to see a repeat of last year, while everyone has a favorite, no one gets shut out. I can tell you we will not have the mix up of last year, one day club one day Pro.

Keep and eye out, we will be posting the schedule before the event.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Those that dont like to refuel run sprints. The others run 90 minute Enduro. How would you get classes competing with some cars in class running 60 vs 90 min? Cant see it happening. PBOC here in FL does do a 60 minute checker during the 90 min Enduro for the Sports Racers (entire classes) that then exit the track for the final 30 minutes.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:08 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Le Petit Enduro?

Quick Reply: Club Race Enduro Question