Sponsored by:

Thunderhill turn 8 speeds

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 06:44 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/gtofan63#p/u/5/rjPWfdSDmpc

Guys here is a C5 Z06, with coilovers and Hoosier A6's that are very large...I think his engine is around 450whp and it still has some interior...I would guess its 3300+ with driver...he runs a 1:53.5 at Thunderhill on the bypass..... Granted Bill is a skilled driver, but is new to racing and just started running wheel to wheel with NASA.....
Old 02-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 886 Posts

Thanks, guys, I have only done it w/o the bypass and with cyclone, that's why I asked.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 111 Posts

A few anecdotes on bypass, cyclone and turn 8.

I remember back in the day when Price Cobb and the KMR fells were out here one November and they did a test at Thill. I spoke to Price for quite a while and he really liked the track- thought it was one of the best newer tracks in the country at that time. He thought the bypass was dangerous... way dangerous and preferred the cyclone.

I remember when Tommy Archer was out testing the prototype Competition Coupe during a Viper Days event... I was instructing and driving that day. Tommy thought the whole track was really dangerous... we really didn't discuss why.

I remember back in 08' when my friend Brandon Kraus got launched in the bypass in his Honda... contact with another car, but I cannot remember what actually launched him. He went several stories in the air. Second event in a row for me where a friend was choppered out to hospital. He was just fine, thank goodness, glass in his eyes... that was about it. His dad, a very experienced racer and the Goodyear man in our area, saw the whole thing and it was very uncomfortable for a few minutes until we got word BK was okay. I do not like to see helicopters at track events.

During one Porsche Racing Club event in the last year or so, my friend Mas was following Peter Smith. Both cars were light 911s on slicks with over 350 bhp and they were lapping in the 1:50 range. One one particular lap as they were haulin' ***, Peter hit the apex in turn 8 and kicked up some debris, and a rock hit Mas' car right on the windshield cowling... actually right on the kill switch key. Killed Mas' car. This was the second time that Mas encountered debris that hit his key and killed the car. The first one was at speed at Fontana a few years back when a car in front kicked up a safety worker's slippery flag that had been dropped out of the fence opening on the previous lap. Both episodes were caught on video... it is pretty funny.

Now Mas' kill switch is inside the cockpit.

I have driven the bypass a few times... I find it okay, but I vastly prefer the cyclone. The PRC never races the bypass. As for turn 8, given the speed and the terrain, I never want to go off there. There'd be too much damage. Not a place to monkey around.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:28 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

I like the bypass, because you dont come to a stop on the hill, and get weightless as you go over it. its about 3 seconds faster than without it.
SCCA will not do the bypass, so I havent done it in a long while 10 years or so!

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
So....do you guys prefer using the bypass or not?

Old 02-16-2011, 09:41 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I think without the bypass, the cyclone is the only other way.

MIke, here is what happens when you hit turn 8 a little ( or lets be honest, WAY ) too fast.

Ive been going here since the track was formed, and the cyclone is the best way. (although , as I said, the bypass is cool too) but for racing, the cyclone gives you a place to catch up if you are in a hot battle.

Thanks, guys, I have only done it w/o the bypass and with cyclone, that's why I asked.

Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2011, 09:46 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Mark, FYI, it is probably bad form to post that photo of the wrecked 911.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:56 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Probably right. That was a very sad day!

I'll remove it
Mark, FYI, it is probably bad form to post that photo of the wrecked 911.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Probably right. that was a very sad day!

Ill remove it
Thanks very much. 'preciate that!

Old 02-16-2011, 09:57 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 111 Posts

Not sure who's car that is... I have seen plenty of wrecks at Thill. Not really into seeing pics of wrecks on here.

I do not think the cyclone is a place to catch up... sure there is an accordion, but that is true of all slow corners on all race tracks. It isn't particularly difficult, so not a place where folks make mistakes that allow subsequent passing in my experience. So in my opinion it offers no special opportunity to catch up.

Yeah, I too have been going there pretty much since the place opened... it has been quite a while now, and many improvements have taken place. i am sure Mark and other locals will agree that we are lucky to have the place... only wish there were a few more choices for dining in that area.

In any case, turn 8 is a place where there is plenty of speed in many cars, so folks are admonished to not be stupid. Some of the worse things I have seen in turn 8 in general are DE folks that neglect a proper apex in 7, or are too timid and let cars pass them underneath in 7, and nearly drive off the track at 8 entry. No excuse for an improper apex in 7.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:10 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you guys run it backwards? Many years ago in OTC we ran one day forwards and the second day backwards. Some wild and dangerous stuff.

Outside of T8, backwards, is (or was) a pretty deep ravine. We walked the track and saw that - pretty sure we didn't want to go off there. The other big danger was track out from T1. If you carried too much speed you were pointed right at the end of the pit wall.

The 'funny' story was my first quick lap over Cyclone. I thought the turn in was as soon as I saw the apex cone. I was in a Radical and it turned out the turn in needed to be about 5 feet sooner. Oops. I went over the backside of the Cyclone and must have ended up at least 50 yards off course.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:47 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Like this sunday!???

got to love the rear cam!

Mk
Originally Posted by SundayDriver
The 'funny' story was my first quick lap over Cyclone. I thought the turn in was as soon as I saw the apex cone. I was in a Radical and it turned out the turn in needed to be about 5 feet sooner. Oops. I went over the backside of the Cyclone and must have ended up at least 50 yards off course.
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2011, 09:49 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Like this sunday!???

got to love the rear cam!

Mk
Yup, sort of - just pretty much drove off the outside and down the huge hill. Oh yeah, it was somewhat muddy so the car was a mess - even my visor was muddy.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:11 PM
sidney004
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
http://www.youtube.com/user/gtofan63#p/u/5/rjPWfdSDmpc

Guys here is a C5 Z06, with coilovers and Hoosier A6's that are very large...I think his engine is around 450whp and it still has some interior...I would guess its 3300+ with driver...he runs a 1:53.5 at Thunderhill on the bypass..... Granted Bill is a skilled driver, but is new to racing and just started running wheel to wheel with NASA.....
He runs a stock LS6 that meets the 8.7 lbs/hp rule in TTS/ST2, 380ish whp

Last edited by sidney004; 02-17-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:04 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

This 1:53.xx vet is "stock" (1:57ish with the cyclone?)
It would have to be at 3400lbs as it came off the track at 380rwhp to meet TTS/ST2 spec, right?

stock on DOTs, thats it? put it this way, T1 cars Scotty B White, Cyndy LUX barely broke 2min with the best of the best of everything in their T1 vipers.

Is this just one of the best drivers to ever hit the track, or is there something more to the car.

Originally Posted by sidney004
He runs a stock LS6 that meets the 8.7 lbs/hp rule in TTS/ST2, 380ish whp
Old 02-17-2011, 05:13 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 88 Posts

I'll chuck another data point into the mix for a street car.

Car: '03 996 C2 aero, 3,200 lbs with driver & zero gas. MPSC DOT tires. Factory X74 suspension, mild camber. 100% stock driveline, body, etc.
Laptime: 2:02.5 (with T5 cyclone, aka "over the top")
T8 minimum speed: 97.5mph on a good lap... 95mph on a normal lap
T8 peak entry speed: 112mph
T8 exit berm speed: ~104mph (leading to a peak of 113mph before T9)
T8 peak lateral load: 1.45g (very briefly - average T8 mid-corner load nearer to 1.25g)

All data via Traqmate running at 20hz.

Last edited by quickxotica; 02-17-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Thunderhill turn 8 speeds