Sponsored by:

Thunderhill turn 8 speeds

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 08:16 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
I just put the spare AIM Pista on the car in advance of our 3 days up there last November. Plus the tires were full tread. I scrubbed them in to the tune of 50 miles on the BMW school weekend (all I cared to drive the car in the gaggle of that group, but I got the students rides). Best was a leisurely 2:04, bypass, with my student's never-been-on-the-track near-elderly wife. On the Monday after, we had our private rental day, and pulled a 2:01 flat without even trying. Of course, when I got back to the shop and was talking with our office woman I hit "erase" instead of "download and erase" for the whole of Monday. Grrrr. So I've got data of that best 2:04 for now. The only other time I've driven the car was the day we were all there, and I managed a stellar 2:11 in the wet. Again with a first-time-at-the-track student I didn't want to scare too much.
I think the data for the 2:04 would be interesting...since its a full tread RA1 near street car......
Old 02-16-2011, 02:49 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
I think the data for the 2:04 would be interesting...since its a full tread RA1 near street car......
From what I remember in discussing it locally, I think I was choked down to ~75MPH at the apex of T1 (either parked behind a guy I couldn't pass, or took it easy since I had a 60 y.o. woman who had never been on the track before as a passenger), and no way no how would I be charging through 8.

But actually I think most all of the corners where I was on it reasonably hard the corner speeds would compare close to the SM. Funny how it all kind of shakes out the same, across the platforms, when you have the same tire.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:31 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Funny how it all kind of shakes out the same, across the platforms, when you have the same tire.
Dunno about that.. my old chevette (c6 z06 w/ coilovers) did mid 1:50's on RA1's.

On a car (mostly) free of aero downforce, it's all about hp/weight and tires.

I wish I had AiM data for the chevette, would love to see how it compared to my Cup car. Granted, I was pushing the chevette about as hard as I could and was only driving the Cup at maybe 8-9/10ths in crappy conditions but I'd have loved to compare data at a couple points around TH. Mostly T1, T2, T8, T9 and T14-15.

-mike
Old 02-16-2011, 01:58 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
Dunno about that.. my old chevette (c6 z06 w/ coilovers) did mid 1:50's on RA1's.

On a car (mostly) free of aero downforce, it's all about hp/weight and tires.

I wish I had AiM data for the chevette, would love to see how it compared to my Cup car. Granted, I was pushing the chevette about as hard as I could and was only driving the Cup at maybe 8-9/10ths in crappy conditions but I'd have loved to compare data at a couple points around TH. Mostly T1, T2, T8, T9 and T14-15.

-mike
Uh, yeah. So where do you think you were getting the ~5 seconds over my 10:1 wt/hp ratio 993? I'd say 3.5-4 of the seconds were on acceleration.

What's "mid 1:50s"? 1:50.5? Or ~1:55? It IS kinda sad that to think that I've been passed by maybe one Z06 of any generation over the years when I'm out there running my 2:02ish "enduro" DE pace. I know the cars have massive potential; I just don't like a car that's that large.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:10 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

and my 9.5ish:1 holbert car was running near the same as yours Ken, but a little older technology, and a little heavier.

There were no z06s, even older WCGT types that were running mid 1:50s. recently ran there against comp coupe vipers with WCGT type/speed drivers that were in the 1:56 range on their best laps. How does a z06 street car run around at this speed? mid 1:55s at Thunderhill, is like 1:35s at Laguna. by the way.

Uh, yeah. So where do you think you were getting the ~5 seconds over my 10:1 wt/hp ratio 993? I'd say 3.5-4 of the seconds were on acceleration.

What's "mid 1:50s"? 1:50.5? Or ~1:55? It IS kinda sad that to think that I've been passed by maybe one Z06 of any generation over the years when I'm out there running my 2:02ish "enduro" DE pace. I know the cars have massive potential; I just don't like a car that's that large.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:12 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

full tread RA1s still are R compound and grip great, just make a lot of noise and would be off the pace by a second maybe, due to tread squirm. also, in a race they would just overheat, because it would be like running a rain tire.
not so bad for a few hot laps.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:14 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

much of this is you just getting faster. put back on the street tires and i bet you would still pick up 4 seconds.

but that was on the 225/50-16 street tires...while they work pretty well...they still are 200 treadwear street tires....when I 1st installed the R comps I dropped 8 seconds per LAP!!!!

Only data will know for sure.....we can install Seans Traqmate one day....all the hookups are still there from Lemons...
Old 02-16-2011, 03:20 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Oh sorry, I meant ~1:55's, with the bypass. The car dynoed at 494 at the wheels, and if my memory is correct from when it was corner weighted, it was about 3190lbs w/ 165lb ballast in the driver seat and a 1/4 tank of gas.

The RA1's were shaved by the way, and it was the second track day on them (I had ran the car for the first time at Thunderhill about 2 months before that).

I'm not trying to claim they're the best track cars, but for a street car that you take to the track.. they're really quick. I'm just throwing out my lap times in both as data points for other drivers, they can take them how they like. The car has a bunch of power, a bunch of grip (thanks to the setup from Brandon Kraus), and are easy to drive quickly (at least mine was :P). I never took the car out when it was stock, so I'm not sure how much faster my car was than a normal stock one off the street.

I was afraid that I'd be slower in the Cup car the first time I took it out, thankfully I wasn't. I don't think I could have pulled much, if any more time out of the chevette (unless I put on the hoosiers that were in my garage). But I *know* there's at least a few more seconds to be had in the Cup, even on the same crappy tires.

-mike
Old 02-16-2011, 04:48 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

500rwhp! welll, that helps! sounds about right, as I was racing with a Z06 that ranged from 375 to later 420rwhp and he (and I )were about 1:57-8s with the bypass, 1:59s with out it. (on DOTs as well). thats getting around the track pretty fast for a big car. it will be interesting to see what the cup car will do when you get comfortable with it. look out low 1:50s!

the street vet would be no where near that fast, mainly due to the weight and the much lower power. this Z06 i was racing with (Wardlow racing) was about 3150 with him in the car. very close to your weight, 150lbs heavier than me, but I had a lot less hp. we both had some decent aero , which i dont know if street car had, but when I had none at all, it chopped my time by about a second.

Mark

Originally Posted by fleadh
Oh sorry, I meant ~1:55's, with the bypass. The car dynoed at 494 at the wheels, and if my memory is correct from when it was corner weighted, it was about 3190lbs w/ 165lb ballast in the driver seat and a 1/4 tank of gas.

The RA1's were shaved by the way, and it was the second track day on them (I had ran the car for the first time at Thunderhill about 2 months before that).

I'm not trying to claim they're the best track cars, but for a street car that you take to the track.. they're really quick. I'm just throwing out my lap times in both as data points for other drivers, they can take them how they like. The car has a bunch of power, a bunch of grip (thanks to the setup from Brandon Kraus), and are easy to drive quickly (at least mine was :P). I never took the car out when it was stock, so I'm not sure how much faster my car was than a normal stock one off the street.

I was afraid that I'd be slower in the Cup car the first time I took it out, thankfully I wasn't. I don't think I could have pulled much, if any more time out of the chevette (unless I put on the hoosiers that were in my garage). But I *know* there's at least a few more seconds to be had in the Cup, even on the same crappy tires.

-mike
Old 02-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 859 Posts

So....do you guys prefer using the bypass or not?

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-16-2011, 05:53 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 911 Likes on 445 Posts

VR,

I have over 2000 miles on that track and I prefer it without the bypass. But that is from my motorcycle racing perspective. I like the character the turn adds to the course. You can't make up much time there...but, if you screw it up, you can lose a lot of time.

Scott
Old 02-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
VR,

I have over 2000 miles on that track and I prefer it without the bypass. But that is from my motorcycle racing perspective. I like the character the turn adds to the course. You can't make up much time there...but, if you screw it up, you can lose a lot of time.

Scott
Thanks, Scott. I have never raced motorcycles--is your perspective driving cars in the bypass markedly different?

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-16-2011, 06:10 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Thanks, Scott. I have never raced motorcycles--is your perspective driving cars in the bypass markedly different?
I have basically zero car experience on the track. I drove a friends 996 Turbo around for a few laps, no bypass, at lunch one day. That's it. I wasn't really trying to go all that fast since I didn't want to pay to fix any damage if I screwed up.

Scott
Old 02-16-2011, 06:18 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
So....do you guys prefer using the bypass or not?
Personally, I like running the bypass more than the cyclone. I find it much easier to get around people w/ the bypass (in a non racing environment, ie: they're letting you by) versus without. It also feels like there's more "pucker factor" with the bypass versus the cyclone. The cyclone is cool for a session or 2, then it just feels like a chicane in the way of my fast lap... and if you happen to get stuck in a line of cars it's almost always a stop-and-go. :-)

I think I've ran more laps with the cyclone versus the bypass, so maybe that's why the bypass seems more interesting. In a race I'd rather have the cyclone as it feels like a better opportunity for overtaking versus the bypass.

-mike
Old 02-16-2011, 06:25 PM
winders
Race Car

Again, this is from a motorcycling racing perspective:

I prefer the cyclone because it make the course a little more technical. It's amazing how many racers just coast up the hill and turn it too late. I am accelerating hard to my braking point. I use to pass A LOT of people there in the races.

I like turns...straights are boring.

It will be interesting to see what I think about the two configurations in a car. I'll find out the first weekend in March.

VR, from watching the videos of the better drivers, the race lines are quite similar between the car and the bike. It should be fun to figure this all out.

Scott

Quick Reply: Thunderhill turn 8 speeds