Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunderhill turn 8 speeds

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:30 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Just looked at the data from my best lap on 1/29/2011 and the minimum speed for T8 was 113. There's more speed to be had. Under those conditions (damp to drying) I wasn't touching curbs/paint anywhere on the track and it was my first time running the car.

Car is a 996 Cup, Yoko scrubs, AiM data logger.

-mike
Old 02-10-2011, 01:58 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

on slicks, cup car, at cup car weights, that seems to be believable. still in the 1.5g range?

Ill have to see what my buddy anderson (Darrell) in the mustang or GTM was doing when running 1:51 to 1:53s. I would think it would be in that range.

Thanks for the post.

by the way, whats your best time at T-hill in the cup?

mk

Originally Posted by fleadh
Just looked at the data from my best lap on 1/29/2011 and the minimum speed for T8 was 113. There's more speed to be had. Under those conditions (damp to drying) I wasn't touching curbs/paint anywhere on the track and it was my first time running the car.

Car is a 996 Cup, Yoko scrubs, AiM data logger.

-mike
Old 02-10-2011, 02:09 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mark kibort
on slicks, cup car, at cup car weights, that seems to be believable. still in the 1.5g range?
Hmm, I didn't look at the g-meter.. I can check tonight when I get home.

Ill have to see what my buddy anderson (Darrell) in the mustang or GTM was doing when running 1:51 to 1:53s. I would think it would be in that range.

by the way, whats your best time at T-hill in the cup?
That was the first/only time I've taken the cup out so far. Best time was a 1:54.12 (over the cyclone). I did the last 2 sessions of the day (once it started to dry out) and that lap was the first hot lap of the second session (only clear lap of the day).

I'm going back out on 2/19 and if the weather is a little better and I run the proper tire pressures, hoping to run a bit quicker. I set the tire pressures at 29 cold before I went out, which was *way* too high. Live and learn...

-mike
Old 02-10-2011, 02:16 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I think I saw you during that session. I didnt get any clear laps, but based on some of some video I had, I was on pace for a best lap for me, one time.

Do you remember seeing my car before I broke my transmission??

Have fun next time there. cool track, huh??

Mark

Hmm, I didn't look at the g-meter.. I can check tonight when I get home.

That was the first/only time I've taken the cup out so far. Best time was a 1:54.12 (over the cyclone). I did the last 2 sessions of the day (once it started to dry out) and that lap was the first hot lap of the second session (only clear lap of the day).

I'm going back out on 2/19 and if the weather is a little better and I run the proper tire pressures, hoping to run a bit quicker. I set the tire pressures at 29 cold before I went out, which was *way* too high. Live and learn...

-mike
Old 02-10-2011, 02:25 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

I think I saw you during that session. I didnt get any clear laps, but based on some of some video I had, I was on pace for a best lap for me, one time.

Do you remember seeing my car before I broke my transmission??

Have fun next time there. cool track, huh??

Mark
Ya, I think I actually pointed you buy in my first lap or 2 in the car. I remember thinking 'is that a race car, or a street car?' I never had the time to go over and check it out though.

Thunderhill is really fun. Wide variety of corners and elevation changes.

-mike
Old 02-10-2011, 03:03 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Thats right, now i remember. that was a fun day, right up until my trans. broke. oh well, 10 years of hard core racing and it broke. I got my money's worth!
problem was, getting home. AAA plus. actually, a friend there allowed me to use his trailer as i drove the car up there from the bay area.
Have fun next time. let us know how it goes!

MK

Ya, I think I actually pointed you buy in my first lap or 2 in the car. I remember thinking 'is that a race car, or a street car?' I never had the time to go over and check it out though.

Thunderhill is really fun. Wide variety of corners and elevation changes.

-mike
Old 02-11-2011, 02:09 AM
finger lock
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark,

I found data for one of Niles' 1:55 laps - Turn 8 apex 108 MPH at 1.6g. Hoosier R6 255/35/18F, 295/30/18R. Pretty sporty!

See you in April...

Guy
Old 02-11-2011, 03:24 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Hi Guy!

How are you doing?

There we go. a known quantity, 108mph. it makes sense, that with all his power now, that he is runnning that fast. i know, before hand, when we were more evenly matched power /weight wise, the only thing he got me doing was anything turning or braking. (straightline was pretty even) now , having all 3 factors, plus he is really driving well too, i have no chance to pick up my time that much. I think I found a way to get him at laguna where those advantages wont be too much, but it will mean some tuning to get another 25hp out of my motor that should be making 50hp more anyway.

you probably heard about my transmission. So, ill try and and get it in by next month so I can make the April opener!

Hope things are going well. I think this is your year!

Mark

wow, 108mph! 1.6gs

Originally Posted by finger lock
Mark,

I found data for one of Niles' 1:55 laps - Turn 8 apex 108 MPH at 1.6g. Hoosier R6 255/35/18F, 295/30/18R. Pretty sporty!

See you in April...

Guy
Old 02-12-2011, 02:39 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

First, I have to ask if T8 is even a turn. For two of mine, anyway. The following are just from memory:

SM is flat (as mentioned), and I'm thinking 95-96 @ apex. Typical lap for me is ~2:10, full track.

Radical is also flat, and ~1.65g. Speed I've always measured at the end of the original exit berm. The original one. Best I've seen is 116, usually around 114. (Oddity here is that I put one of my AIM Pistas on the car before I took it apart, but didn't hook up a wheel speed sensor.) Typical for iffy tires and passenger is ~1:52-4, best ever is 1:50 flat.

Yellow car (faux 993 RS), I definitely slow. Slightly off what the SM does at apex, usually have a passenger when that car is out so I'm not doing anything stupid. Don't recall lateral g's. Typical w/ passenger is ~2:04, w/o I can flirt with 2:01 flat running RA1s.

Can look this all up later on, if requested.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:10 AM
finger lock
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark,

For comparison, I found data for a Sealed Spec Miata. This is from an experienced, podium finishing SSM driver. Apex T8 96 MPH, 1.3 g. Toyo RA1 205/50/15 F&R. Flat from T6 through entry of T9.

I did hear about your transmission; fortunately you have time to sort out the fix. I figure you could get it running with some JB weld, an erector set and some bailing wire. If it makes you feel any better, I had a "freshly rebuilt" transmission blow-up at Thill this fall. I got all of three laps out of it, expensive laps even by racing standards. Lucky for me there was a spare tranny in Niles' trailer, however the trailer was in Benicia.

Pretty much like everyone else, I'm trying to get my car back together after a little off season massaging. I look forward to burning high octane fossil fuels and helping trees grow big and strong!

Guy

Last edited by finger lock; 02-12-2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: add information
Old 02-14-2011, 04:46 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

jb weld! I actually had a dream right after the weekend that included JBweld and that broken short shaft! It worked for another 10 years!

yep, drving D. Andersons RX7 for a race, i was hitting that turn 8 at 5800rpm, flat out. . I think it was about 90mph if i was to guess. 105 is the best ive seen, and that was on the edge and barely being able to pull it out. I think Connie was behind me . I heard her laughing!

Originally Posted by finger lock
Mark,

For comparison, I found data for a Sealed Spec Miata. This is from an experienced, podium finishing SSM driver. Apex T8 96 MPH, 1.3 g. Toyo RA1 205/50/15 F&R. Flat from T6 through entry of T9.

I did hear about your transmission; fortunately you have time to sort out the fix. I figure you could get it running with some JB weld, an erector set and some bailing wire. If it makes you feel any better, I had a "freshly rebuilt" transmission blow-up at Thill this fall. I got all of three laps out of it, expensive laps even by racing standards. Lucky for me there was a spare tranny in Niles' trailer, however the trailer was in Benicia.

Pretty much like everyone else, I'm trying to get my car back together after a little off season massaging. I look forward to burning high octane fossil fuels and helping trees grow big and strong!

Guy
Old 02-14-2011, 07:07 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
First, I have to ask if T8 is even a turn. For two of mine, anyway. The following are just from memory:

SM is flat (as mentioned), and I'm thinking 95-96 @ apex. Typical lap for me is ~2:10, full track.

Radical is also flat, and ~1.65g. Speed I've always measured at the end of the original exit berm. The original one. Best I've seen is 116, usually around 114. (Oddity here is that I put one of my AIM Pistas on the car before I took it apart, but didn't hook up a wheel speed sensor.) Typical for iffy tires and passenger is ~1:52-4, best ever is 1:50 flat.

Yellow car (faux 993 RS), I definitely slow. Slightly off what the SM does at apex, usually have a passenger when that car is out so I'm not doing anything stupid. Don't recall lateral g's. Typical w/ passenger is ~2:04, w/o I can flirt with 2:01 flat running RA1s.

Can look this all up later on, if requested.
MK
This is Ken's yellow 993 3.8 that was in the back of our shop.....it looked like its RA1's had fairly deep tread too.... I wonder what the data for this 993 is? I would guess 1.4g is possible.... Ken do you have data for the 993?

Of course my Estate doesn't have data....but the best I ever took T8 is just a slight lift at turn in...rolling back to flat by apex....I look down at the speedo just past apex and the best I have ever seen was almost 105mph...but that was sketchy too....best lap over the top is 2:09's.....2:06 on bypass

Generally I can take corners at near SM speed...especially the higher speed ones.....with the R comps on...it takes a very skilled SM driver to get away from the Estate....
Old 02-15-2011, 01:56 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

having driven the estate, we took turn 8 flat out. I would guess, at the most, 97mph.
your spedo is off, as you mentioned you are going 120 down the main straight, and its probably more like 115. the holbert car was 120 the stroker 928 will get exactly 130 at the breaking zone. (140mph) with a tail wind.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:40 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

having driven the estate, we took turn 8 flat out. I would guess, at the most, 97mph.
your spedo is off, as you mentioned you are going 120 down the main straight, and its probably more like 115. the holbert car was 120 the stroker 928 will get exactly 130 at the breaking zone. (140mph) with a tail wind.
but that was on the 225/50-16 street tires...while they work pretty well...they still are 200 treadwear street tires....when I 1st installed the R comps I dropped 8 seconds per LAP!!!!

Only data will know for sure.....we can install Seans Traqmate one day....all the hookups are still there from Lemons...
Old 02-15-2011, 02:55 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
MK
This is Ken's yellow 993 3.8 that was in the back of our shop.....it looked like its RA1's had fairly deep tread too.... I wonder what the data for this 993 is? I would guess 1.4g is possible.... Ken do you have data for the 993?
I just put the spare AIM Pista on the car in advance of our 3 days up there last November. Plus the tires were full tread. I scrubbed them in to the tune of 50 miles on the BMW school weekend (all I cared to drive the car in the gaggle of that group, but I got the students rides). Best was a leisurely 2:04, bypass, with my student's never-been-on-the-track near-elderly wife. On the Monday after, we had our private rental day, and pulled a 2:01 flat without even trying. Of course, when I got back to the shop and was talking with our office woman I hit "erase" instead of "download and erase" for the whole of Monday. Grrrr. So I've got data of that best 2:04 for now. The only other time I've driven the car was the day we were all there, and I managed a stellar 2:11 in the wet. Again with a first-time-at-the-track student I didn't want to scare too much.

Quick Reply: Thunderhill turn 8 speeds