Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

^ Yup
Old 06-20-2017, 11:26 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I know there is time I can find -- there always is. Didn't want to turn this into a 'where can I find time?' thread. Just gave a specific example which I couldn't explain by anything other than HP differential. Granted, it could also be due to my motor being complete crap. A track dyno (same day, temp, conditions) would provide some clarity as to what's what.
What look like subtle differences in steering angle, timing of rotation, rhythm are worth significant chunks of time. Never say never but it's usually not hp.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:45 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

The problem is the prize money makes cheating so tempting.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:49 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,401 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
What look like subtle differences in steering angle, timing of rotation, rhythm are worth significant chunks of time. Never say never but it's usually not hp.
As I said...
Old 06-20-2017, 11:51 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 74 Posts

The skinny pedal doesn't do much in an SPB. For example, Todd Lamb looked at my data and found 3 places I was slow and a minor tweak to my set up. That delta in mph carried around a decent portion of the track so once I was told how much faster I could or should go I found a second and that second was good enough to keep me in the podium fight which I otherwise would not have been in. Years prior I fought for 5 or 6th place. This year with some pointers I was fighting for 2nd or 3rd. That's what one second does in our class. I still need to execute the Toe more effectively per Todd's advice but that will have to wait until next year.

Bottom line is this in an SPB - it's all about corner speeds. Get off the brakes get into the and out of the corner as fast as possible. What may appear to be a huge delta in hp based on a drag race down the straight is more than likely the difference in how fast one car got thru the corner vs the other car.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:02 PM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
Does anyone run up front with a "junkyard" motor?
Yep we do. 80k miles.
Driver Coaching / Trackside Support / Race Prep / Car Builds

SPB/SPC/GTB1 donors ready to go for your next build. We do cages in house as well.

PDK repair experts
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

Old 06-20-2017, 12:37 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
The Esses are a lot more complex than people think. It's easy to blame HP, whereas very subtle differences in how and where one adjusts steering angle all through the Eases can have a marked difference in lap times and MPH into the bus stop. There is at least one client of mine who has posted in this thread who saw that first hand when we worked together a little bit just from video and data at the Glen last year...
Originally Posted by jdistefa
That may be one car-length worth before the bus-stop, assuming equal exit speeds out of T1 and 100% WOT to the bus-stop, and that's being generous. Not 4-5 car-lengths gain against a car that has entered the Esses faster to begin with. I've done passes in the Esses under 100% WOT without losing more than a car-length on the car ahead. Angles and positions couldn't get more compromised than that.

The discussion is not whether skills, data, or setup matter. They do, but the very simple question remains: Why no dyno?
Old 06-20-2017, 12:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
That may be one car-length worth before the bus-stop, assuming equal exit speeds out of T1 and 100% WOT to the bus-stop, and that's being generous. Not 4-5 car-lengths gain against a car that has entered the Esses faster to begin with. ?
If you say so...
Old 06-20-2017, 01:02 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK so which is it?
If SPB is not won with hp, if you can win using a junkyard motor, if it's all about the cornering speed and studying the data, then remind me why PCA needs a dyno?
Old 06-20-2017, 01:05 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Interesting anecdote about junkyard motors: when the late Paul Rosche was the engine genius at BMW Motorsport, and building 1100 plus HP four cylinder turbo F1 motors...he found the strongest and longest lasting ones were built on very high mileage 320i motors from junkyards.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:14 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Survey results are fascinating. Seventy percent (70%) renders think others cheat but they do not. Statistically this not possible! So somebody is lying!
Old 06-20-2017, 01:20 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
OK so which is it?
If SPB is not won with hp, if you can win using a junkyard motor, if it's all about the cornering speed and studying the data, then remind me why PCA needs a dyno?
Because every body in E cheats

Last year SPB was the subject of much scrutineering via electronically means. No one that I know of was found to be cheating. Early this year it was rumored that two cars that had their ECU's flashed at the track. One of those went on to win anyway. Late last year one SPB was found to have a 2.7 in it instead of the 2.5 motor. Out of a field of over 100 cars that's not bad.

There will always be accusations by new to the class people no matter what class we are talking about.

A dyno isn't the worst idea to keep everybody honest. Why do we have scrutes?
Old 06-20-2017, 02:24 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Interesting anecdote about junkyard motors: when the late Paul Rosche was the engine genius at BMW Motorsport, and building 1100 plus HP four cylinder turbo F1 motors...he found the strongest and longest lasting ones were built on very high mileage 320i motors from junkyards.
That's strange. Who would ever imagine that a works F1 engine program, with a relatively unlimited budget, would be searching junk yard for engine blocks...
Old 06-20-2017, 02:51 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

just a couple of thoughts and some recommendations for the new guys after having read this entire thread.

Your racing mentality and approach to preparation, improving your own performance and being successful (as you define success) is critical.

Whether there is cheating or not, I think the best mental approach to take is to assume that no one cheats. If you assume others cheat it will become a mental crutch and barrier to your own development as a racer.

"I can never beat that guy, he's a damned cheater" will almost certainly result in you never beating "that guy".

There is a certain SPB guy that is well known and a very very good driver. I've heard others call him a cheater. No way is he a cheater. What he is, is a guy that practices more than anyone I know, studies data religiously, tinkers with setup, etc. All the things necessary to be a great racer. Can I beat him? Nope - not yet - he's just a better driver that puts more into his preparation and practice than I am able to. Will I beat him? I hope to, and am certainly working toward that.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:05 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

^^^^ Well said.

Quick Reply: Do people cheat in PCA Club Racing?