Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what are PCA DE rules about 4 point harnesses?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:14 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
I tried my new CS sporter seat with cg-lock last week. it holds hips perfectly in place from what I can tell, very similar to feel I had in my friend`s car with 5 point harness, upper body of course is not fixed as well but seat does more or less adequate job to limit upper body movement so for now I will simply keep using cg-lock for a while.

from cs sportster seat construction I can say no way in hell you can do submarining after lower belt is tightened - there is no space left there to slip under belt and I think 4 point would work fine. but it looks it is too much pain to go over those multiple discussions about regulations and overall feel of this new seat with cg-lock on standard 3point harness is very good, it really fixes lower part of the body perfectly still in the bucket and that was a major issue with old seats.
You might want to read up a bit more on belts and body shape change during a high G event. What you have is good to have over sliding around and improves the driving condition but not the safety by any real measure. Even in a well snugged up 6 point a person can come well out of the seat. With the stock 3 point things like pretensioners used to take up slack and materal give just prior to your getting slammed into the belts during a hit you will still flop around in anything but a clean straight ahead hit. Does the belt lock defeat the lap belt tensoner system? Some pull from the top, some pull from both ends. IIRC the belt locks don't but locking out the lower tensioner would likely reduce the safety in an impact.

Quick Reply: what are PCA DE rules about 4 point harnesses?