Sponsored by:

Was Alonso Treated Unfairly at Mclaren?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 04:51 AM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Cabin fever? Off season too long? WTF did you think you were going to get when you posted this?
The last battle scene from Platoon?

I know it seems like everyone here has his own bias, but what this thread was meant to do is get to the root of where everyone's opinion comes from. If anything, it seems like there are three major arguments.

1. Was Alonso the #1 driver at the beginning?

1a. To what extent should Lewis have given way?

2. Is the way Alonso handled the situation a big deal to you?

3. To what extentn should we blame Alonso for using Ferrari data?

From what I have read, there was only an "implied" Number 1 policy at Mclaren, if it existed at all. Mclaren did not really favor either driver in the beginning, and continued to supply them with the same parts, etc. during the race weekends (unlike in they did in the 09). The two shared data all the way up until about half way through the season, when Alonso began keeping his own data to himself. Lewis would only beat him once more after that.

Does anyone else disagree or have any other facts?
Old 01-19-2011, 08:25 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

To be seen on Alonso's car when unveiled at the end of this month...

Old 01-19-2011, 09:51 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,898 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by enduro911

I know it seems like everyone here has his own bias, but what this thread was meant to do is get to the root of where everyone's opinion comes from. If anything, it seems like there are three major arguments.

From what I have read, there was only an "implied" Number 1 policy at Mclaren, if it existed at all. Mclaren did not really favor either driver in the beginning, and continued to supply them with the same parts, etc. during the race weekends (unlike in they did in the 09). The two shared data all the way up until about half way through the season, when Alonso began keeping his own data to himself. Lewis would only beat him once more after that.

Of course there was an implied #1. You had ALonso coming off back to back championships now driving for McLaren vs. a rookie. Who do you think is the #1 driver????

Second, Alonso probably felt no threat, initially with a rookie teammate and he did share data with the other side of the garage. Once Hamilton turned that data into race wins, the flow of info was shut off from Alonso's side. In turn, Hamilton did not do as well, BUT.... he still had a chance to win the WDC until he made multiple driving errors and touching of the buttons on his steering wheel (basically shutting down his car for a moment -- remember Brazil).

In the end, even with Alonso not sharing data, Hamilton placed higher than ALonso in the WDC by virtue of a tie breaker.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:49 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

In the end, even with Alonso not sharing data, Hamilton placed higher than ALonso in the WDC by virtue of a tie breaker.
Even though Alonso was racing against McLaren as a team (as per Ron Dennis), he was still able to tie his team mate. It was Alonso against the McLaren might and they could still onyl slow him down so much.
Impressive.
Alonso went back to a mediocre Renault and while Lewis stayed at McLaren. So what does Lewis have to show for having a competitive car yr in yr out?
Old 01-19-2011, 11:56 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Even though Alonso was racing against McLaren as a team (as per Ron Dennis), he was still able to tie his team mate. It was Alonso against the McLaren might and they could still onyl slow him down so much.
Impressive.
Alonso went back to a mediocre Renault and while Lewis stayed at McLaren. So what does Lewis have to show for having a competitive car yr in yr out?
1 more WDC than Alonso. I've won the same amount of WDC as Alonso since he left the dominant Renault with custom Michelin tires
Old 01-19-2011, 12:38 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

1 more WDC than Alonso. I've won the same amount of WDC as Alonso since he left the dominant Renault with custom Michelin tires
LOL, now that was funny...
Old 01-19-2011, 01:06 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disclaimer: I am NOT a Michael Schumacher fan (though I do acknowledge he was a great driver)

Alonso is now with the perfect team (Ferrari) for him to stoke his ego. Ferrari loves to decide who their #1 driver is before the season begins. Historically McLaren, Williams and in the 2010 season Red Bull have only ever implemented team orders after one of the two drivers was mathematically eliminated from the WDC.

At the 2002 Austrian GP when Michael Schumacher was gifted the win courtesy of Rubens Barrichello, Schumacher was embarrassed on the podium and actually insisted that Rubens stand on the winners spot while Michael took the #2 spot on the podium. Schumacher also gave Barrichello the winners trophy. During the interviews Schumacher insisted that Barrichello occupy the winners seat and was allowed to field the first questions. At the 2010 German GP after Alonso was gifted the win thanks to Ferrari's infamous "you are the #1 driver before the season even started" team orders, Alonso was all too happy to stand on the winner's podium stand, all too happy to pump his fist in the air proclaiming himself #1, all too happy to take the winner's trophy. During the interview Alonso sat in the winners seat and talked about how fast he was and that he deserved this win. There is no doubt Fernado Alonso is a good driver, but the dude lacks class. Like Michael Schumacher or hate Michael Schumacher (Schumacher like Aryton Senna was ruthless on the track doing anything and everything in his quest to be champ) but at least Schumacher was able to publicly display when he knew he was not the worthy winner in a given race.

"So ... Fernado is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message."
Old 01-19-2011, 01:31 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enduro911

Yep i can see a 2 times WDC, who is also the current World champion, who could choose any team he wants, joins Mclaren, a team who hasn't won a race in 16 months and was promised nothing and no 1 status ...

Ahhhh.... Children ..

My 993C2:

Such cacophony, Schumacher only pulled Rubin up on the top podium after the boo's from his countrymen. Prior to that he was jumping on his car, the podium and pumping his fist. The move on the podium was against protocol and should have cost him the race points...

I do understand these are things you wont see on wikipedia..
Old 01-19-2011, 01:42 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mklaskin
Yes, I am saying that Ron Dennis was not kicked out of F-1.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/7833402.stm

You have seen him attending the races, right?

Conjecture from the British press does not count.
Gotta love this guy ........................
Old 01-19-2011, 01:47 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
I do understand these are things you wont see on wikipedia..
News flash I am watching a whole slew of historical races right now to catch up on when "a) I did not watch the race due to doing other things in life" and "b) simply because I forgot things". So I am well aware of how Schumacher reacted to his wins versus how Alonso (or anyone else) reacts and am not going on what wikipedia says.

But I forgot you are the greatest authority of race car driving in all the world and nobody should ever question your authority and superior knowledge on anything and everything in this world. Your ego is almost as big as Alonso's ego. Almost.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:03 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Gotta love this guy ........................
There is a difference and it troubles me that you cannot see it. We have absolutely no proof of Ron being "kicked out" of F-1.

Please provide factual evidence of him being banned/kicked out. Otherwise you're asking the forum to hold your opinion at a premium while you discount ours....
Old 01-19-2011, 02:44 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by My993C2
Disclaimer: I am NOT a Michael Schumacher fan (though I do acknowledge he was a great driver)

Alonso is now with the perfect team (Ferrari) for him to stoke his ego. Ferrari loves to decide who their #1 driver is before the season begins. Historically McLaren, Williams and in the 2010 season Red Bull have only ever implemented team orders after one of the two drivers was mathematically eliminated from the WDC.

At the 2002 Austrian GP when Michael Schumacher was gifted the win courtesy of Rubens Barrichello, Schumacher was embarrassed on the podium and actually insisted that Rubens stand on the winners spot while Michael took the #2 spot on the podium. Schumacher also gave Barrichello the winners trophy. During the interviews Schumacher insisted that Barrichello occupy the winners seat and was allowed to field the first questions. At the 2010 German GP after Alonso was gifted the win thanks to Ferrari's infamous "you are the #1 driver before the season even started" team orders, Alonso was all too happy to stand on the winner's podium stand, all too happy to pump his fist in the air proclaiming himself #1, all too happy to take the winner's trophy. During the interview Alonso sat in the winners seat and talked about how fast he was and that he deserved this win. There is no doubt Fernado Alonso is a good driver, but the dude lacks class. Like Michael Schumacher or hate Michael Schumacher (Schumacher like Aryton Senna was ruthless on the track doing anything and everything in his quest to be champ) but at least Schumacher was able to publicly display when he knew he was not the worthy winner in a given race.

"So ... Fernado is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message."
Great. Points. Even days after the 2010 German GP after time to reflect on the events, Alonso was still insisting he was the rightful winner of the race. Ego or narcasist
Old 01-19-2011, 10:22 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by My993C2
News flash I am watching a whole slew of historical races right now to catch up on when "a) I did not watch the race due to doing other things in life" and "b) simply because I forgot things". So I am well aware of how Schumacher reacted to his wins versus how Alonso (or anyone else) reacts and am not going on what wikipedia says.

But I forgot you are the greatest authority of race car driving in all the world and nobody should ever question your authority and superior knowledge on anything and everything in this world. Your ego is almost as big as Alonso's ego. Almost.
Oui .. Hit a nerve ?

Jaycee, Relax! I threw you a bone, you're now in the know, no need to get testy i was just being helpful , say hello to Manny for me.

There is a difference and it troubles me that you cannot see it. We have absolutely no proof of Ron being "kicked out" of F-1.

Please provide factual evidence of him being banned/kicked out. Otherwise you're askig the forum to hold your opinion at a premium while you discount ours....
Contray to such, i hold everyone's opinion here at a premium.. ahhh. ehhh, i do enjoy the" Spoils"...

Now to the point :

Look RD you are not being fired, just hand in your resignation at days end, Get it !
RD was forced to relinquish his hold on Mclaren if not , the team would have faced a ban and kicked out of the WC.

Now explain again about British rags, good for you , bad for me ?.......
Old 01-19-2011, 10:31 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Please provide factual evidence of him being banned/kicked out. Otherwise you're asking the forum to hold your opinion at a premium while you discount ours....
Dude, It's Wayne, he has no proof. Ron Dennis did not lick Freddika's feet so he is the Anti-christ of F1.

IIRC I saw Ron at the British Grand Prix on Speed and a couple of others.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:35 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FGL28
Dude, It's Wayne, he has no proof. Ron Dennis did not lick Freddika's feet so he is the Anti-christ of F1.

IIRC I saw Ron at the British Grand Prix on Speed and a couple of others.
Still playing with the Blind and the furious...............

Quick Reply: Was Alonso Treated Unfairly at Mclaren?