Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How are you guys tying down your scooter in trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010 | 11:04 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Default How are you guys tying down your scooter in trailer?

I've got a nice 50cc Zuma scooter, but am thinking of getting rid of it for a bicycle I can just throw in the back of the truck, instead of taking the time to tie it all down when loading/unloading. I have a 24' featherlite, and I've tried tying it two ways. First, I had a ramp I'd drive it up in the truck bed and attach it with 4 straps. That and storing the ramp was a pain. Next, I just strapped it to a shoring beam going across the trailer in the very back. That worked ok, but needed chocks to keep the wheels from sliding out from underneath on the dovetail.

Anybody go from scooter to a bike? Hate to get rid of it, but a bike seems a lot simpler.

David
Old 12-15-2010 | 11:51 PM
consolidated
Drifting

I tie down a small motard, perpendicular to the car, to E-track on the walls, two in front, one from the rear grab rail pushing the suspension down.

When I raced bikes we used integrated tie down chocks, lots of models out there, but I used Condor who makes a scooter version I believe. They are easy to remove with quick release hardware to get it out of the way when not in use. The chocks could hold the bikes in place almost w/o a tie down.

4 small D-rings on the floor work fine too.

To carry a bike, I use seasucker bike mounts, 200# suction cup fork mounts to the walls of the trailer. But only because I had then around, an easier and cheaper solution would be a $20 fork mount bolted between two frame ribs on a tube section or angle. Then screw a small velcro strap to the wall to tie down the rear wheel. If you keep it all high it stays out of the way and the floor is clear for other stuff. ...or back of the truck if security isn't an issue.

Condor link: http://store.condor-lift.com/categor...y=All-Products

Last edited by consolidated; 12-16-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-16-2010 | 01:55 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

I place my bike against the trailer's back door with 6ft ramps folded up (or down actually when closed). I have E-track on both sides and I run a ratcheting strap across from the furthest rear point holding the bike firmly against the closed rear door and ramps. I use a quilted moving pad ($15. Home Depot) around the bike and it travels just fine....
Old 12-16-2010 | 03:05 AM
pmason
Burning Brakes

I'm also looking to find a new way to strap mine Zuma down. Today I have it up front of the car right in the middle facing forward with 4 straps, have d-rings in floor. But takes up a lot of room and would like to move it to one side or the other. Been thinking of getting one of those wheel chocks to help secure it.
Old 12-16-2010 | 10:10 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

I have a 24' Featherlight and a 50cc Zuma. I went to a motorcycle shop and purchased a cradle for the front tire. It is a 2 piece device where pins are installed in the floor, then the cradle simply slides onto the pins and held in place by the pressure of the scooter tire pressing forward when tied down. This allows you to remove it if you don't need it so you aren't kicking it. I bought a handle bar tie down which slides over each handlebar grip and has a loop for a tiedown. I attach the tiedown from the loop to a ring on etrack on the floor. I installed a 3" section of etrack on either side of the cradle. The scooter is sideways in front between the car and the cabinets. Works great, and if I dont' want to use it, I can still get in and out of the trailer side door and get the car out without messing with the scooter.
Old 12-17-2010 | 01:53 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

I went to the condor site, and their mount looks really good. I looked into mounting it in between the front cabinets and car, but I think my 40 x 20" roll cab that straps to the wall opposite the door doesn't leave enough width. I'll double check that. Are you just putting it in the trailer before you put the car in?

JR-How do you get around the car to tie the scooter down, and how do you keep the scooter from falling over when you close the rear door?
Old 12-17-2010 | 02:16 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Originally Posted by David Edwards
I went to the condor site, and their mount looks really good. I looked into mounting it in between the front cabinets and car, but I think my 40 x 20" roll cab that straps to the wall opposite the door doesn't leave enough width. I'll double check that. Are you just putting it in the trailer before you put the car in?
Usually, but it's light enough to lift thru the side door in a pinch, but my trailer has a very wide double side door.

Quick Reply: How are you guys tying down your scooter in trailer?