Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Anyone have an iPad and upload race video to it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts
Default OT: Anyone have an iPad and upload race video to it?

Thinking about getting one, may wait for iPad2 to come out. The big question is will it import and play raw video out of my SmartyCam, which I believe is .avi and isn't played by all software that supports "normal" .avi...

From Apple -
"H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format".

I would be glad to record a minute of video and email it to an iPad user to try if that works also...
Old 12-14-2010, 07:51 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to play it via iTunes in iPad, you have to convert it to mp4 format and dump it in iTunes on your computer, it will then sync with your iPad.

There are a few programs out there now like VLC and xyplayer that will play most formats without converting it first and dumping it in iTunes. You just have to download the app, then in iTunes you can add the video to your iPad via that program and watch the video.

Feel free to email me some raw video and I can see if it works and/or how easy it is:
robmaranda at gmail dot com
Old 12-14-2010, 07:54 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

If you discover that you can't view raw avi files on an iPad you can use Quicktime to "share" an avi file to iTunes which will give you the option of converting to a couple of different sizes such as iPod or AppleTV. You could then take the converted file and view it on your iPad.

I would take your raw video into an Apple store and see if they can make it happen. There is a dongle for SD cards that can be attached to the iPad.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:00 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Sounds like too much BS, I want to plug in my SD card (with the adapter they sell) and play/store the raw video. I see there are already some simple video editors for it. Not interested in converting anything unless it's VERY quick and i've never seen that happen, even on a powerful desktop. Rob, let me pull the camera and see if I can do a 1 minute video of my cat sleeping, Chris that's a good idea also!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:38 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

While the default video player pretty much needs the file converted, you can install the VLC player app, free video player that plays a number of files. I've tested with a AVI and MPG file, worked just fine.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pmason
While the default video player pretty much needs the file converted, you can install the VLC player app, free video player that plays a number of files. I've tested with a AVI and MPG file, worked just fine.
That's what I needed to hear, I know the VLC player works on the SC's raw AVI file as that is what I use at home also.. that is good news!
Old 12-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I used to store race video on my Ipod. I bought a cheap video converter program from Imtoo to get it in the proper format. At the races I would hook it up through the DVD player in the motorhome and play it on the TV to relearn the track. Easy and portable.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Michael Jaynes
2nd Gear

A few things..

The last two iterations of SmartyCam firmware allow for either .avi or .mov file formats. The .mov being an Apple format, the iPad prefers that. I much prefer the .mov format, the scrubbing of video and editing are much easier. Give the .mov format a try, technically the .mov format is still "beta", but we used it all summer.

Earlier this year, I tried exactly what you want to do. Import and view SmartyCam video with an iPad using the SD connector accessory. It worked great! But.. To make it work I had to put the video into a folder titled DCIM on the MicroSD, and then it worked great. The iPad actually used the Photos app to import and play the video, not the Video app. It treated it as though the video came from a digital camera. No big deal really, you still even have editing capabilities. But now, something is broke. Either Apple or we broke something, it doesn't recognize the videos anymore. Maybe the latest iOS, or the latest SmartyCam firmware..?

Our SmartyCam guys are busy wrapping up the SmartyCam data file, sidecar to the video, to be done next month, and then perhaps we can look at what broke. ..and automatically put the video files in a folder titled DCIM. We use iPads too.

As for VLC, it will play either format, but doesn't have an import function. So it doesn't solve the problem of getting the video into the iPad.

Michael Jaynes
AiM Sports, LLC
Old 12-17-2010, 10:27 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Michael Jaynes
A few things..

The last two iterations of SmartyCam firmware allow for either .avi or .mov file formats. The .mov being an Apple format, the iPad prefers that. I much prefer the .mov format, the scrubbing of video and editing are much easier. Give the .mov format a try, technically the .mov format is still "beta", but we used it all summer.

Earlier this year, I tried exactly what you want to do. Import and view SmartyCam video with an iPad using the SD connector accessory. It worked great! But.. To make it work I had to put the video into a folder titled DCIM on the MicroSD, and then it worked great. The iPad actually used the Photos app to import and play the video, not the Video app. It treated it as though the video came from a digital camera. No big deal really, you still even have editing capabilities. But now, something is broke. Either Apple or we broke something, it doesn't recognize the videos anymore. Maybe the latest iOS, or the latest SmartyCam firmware..?

Our SmartyCam guys are busy wrapping up the SmartyCam data file, sidecar to the video, to be done next month, and then perhaps we can look at what broke. ..and automatically put the video files in a folder titled DCIM. We use iPads too.

As for VLC, it will play either format, but doesn't have an import function. So it doesn't solve the problem of getting the video into the iPad.

Michael Jaynes
AiM Sports, LLC
Thanks so much for the info Michael! Please keep us appraised of new developments with the iPad/SmartyCam saga. How did you create a DCIM folder, were you able to do that from the iPad or did you have to use a laptop to manipulate the SD card structure?
Old 12-17-2010, 10:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Old 12-17-2010, 10:39 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Yeah, and George Bush III is intelligent too....
Old 12-17-2010, 10:41 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 04-27-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Gotta say VR, you sure are good at finding this stuff !!!

Old 12-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Gotta say VR, you sure are good at finding this stuff !!!

LMAO..."Relax, hipster...we'll tell you when it's ready"

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 12-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Jaynes
A few things..

Michael Jaynes
AiM Sports, LLC
GREAT to see you on here Michael. Missed you at PRI.

Quick Reply: OT: Anyone have an iPad and upload race video to it?