Sponsored by:

Top Gear US Version

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 02:33 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Weston
Too bad he spent the whole time drifting like a dumbass, standing there awkwardly, making really half-assed analogies, and then crying that he didn't have any tires left.
I am pretty sure the producers told him to do this. But the guy can definitely hustle a race car around a track in proper fashion.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 11-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Weston

Too bad he spent the whole time drifting like a dumbass, standing there awkwardly, making really half-assed analogies, and then crying that he didn't have any tires left.
Like TG UK never does that....

I'm not a fan of drifting-can't really see the point-but you don't take high HP cars into high speed slides and hold them for long, if you don't know what you're doing. Like VR says, the producers probably promote this for entertainment value.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Very nice stuff indeed. Jame May in near-space in a U2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6cZL...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PmYItnlY5M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHOX3deFhbw
Old 11-27-2010, 12:27 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree with most of what's been said.

Some of the funnier ones, I'll paraphrase:

"...why use an airfield, we have allot of short tracks..."- You don't think they have a ton of tracks in England? They use a private airfield because it protects the Stig. If they use a regular track that anyone could go, that would open the door for the Stig's times to be beaten by anyone. This way that can't happen. It also is part of the "coolness/image" of the show.

"...TF drifts too much..." Clarkson has been known to blow the tyres off of some of the cars he's testing!

Guys it's the first episode...give it a chance. Some of you are reacting way too quickly. Will it be as good or better than the TGUK probably not but then again what is? This does sure as hell beat most of the Speed (err I mean NASCAR TV) programming.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:57 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We need to be critical... That is how they will get better!
Old 11-27-2010, 01:06 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

great video of the U2 Spy plane... My son said, "Can I do that"
Old 11-27-2010, 08:33 PM
Greg Phillips
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
I agree with most of what's been said.

Some of the funnier ones, I'll paraphrase:

"...why use an airfield, we have allot of short tracks..."- You don't think they have a ton of tracks in England? They use a private airfield because it protects the Stig. If they use a regular track that anyone could go, that would open the door for the Stig's times to be beaten by anyone. This way that can't happen. It also is part of the "coolness/image" of the show.

"...TF drifts too much..." Clarkson has been known to blow the tyres off of some of the cars he's testing!

Guys it's the first episode...give it a chance. Some of you are reacting way too quickly. Will it be as good or better than the TGUK probably not but then again what is? This does sure as hell beat most of the Speed (err I mean NASCAR TV) programming.
+1

It will take time to develop chemistry and their own style (if they do).

Greg
Old 11-27-2010, 09:47 PM
Tom Pritchett
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All shows need to gel a bit before they become good. I certainly hop that it comes together and becomes a show that we all can enjoy. However with such an icon as Buz Aldrin, how can you really mess that inerview up like they did? Also, any background on these two other fellas? Car enthusiast or someone that just use cars for sterile transportaton?
Old 11-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Weston
Racer

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Like TG UK never does that....

I'm not a fan of drifting-can't really see the point-but you don't take high HP cars into high speed slides and hold them for long, if you don't know what you're doing. Like VR says, the producers probably promote this for entertainment value.
The difference is that the UK version has just the right amount of ridiculousness, and it's funny and entertaining, where the US version is an overdone dimwitted attempt to copy them. The UK version does a bit of drifting here and there, but then the US version does massive tire smoke in every corner and makes the clip more about that than anything else. They should just call the show "Driving Sideways with Tanner Foust" and dump the other two clowns.

I do hope it will get better, but thus far it's hard to see much of a future when the challenges are lame and the presenters have no chemistry and no personality, so their bad analogies come across as them being retarded, rather than funny.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:27 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Oddly enough this was pretty good. No UK version by any stretch but more watchable then that **** they passed last week...

Link:

http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-...-2_2092026.htm
Old 11-29-2010, 02:44 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

the best part was when the dog pissed all over the floor....
Old 11-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by ubercooper
Oddly enough this was pretty good. No UK version by any stretch but more watchable then that **** they passed last week...

Link:

http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-...-2_2092026.htm
Speed Network was an absolute wasteland over the long weekend. Hours and hours of "Dangerous Drives." The right thing to do is to watch TG/US religiously, and buy what their sponsors are selling. If not, we are stuck with John Davis in MotorWeek.

PS: My kids and I have running game where we try to guess what color windbreaker John Davis will be wearing at the opening of each MotorWeek program. He must have 15 identical zip-front windbreakers in a range of colors. That said, one time he wore leather.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:22 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Speed Network was an absolute wasteland over the long weekend. Hours and hours of "Dangerous Drives."
+1 it was that or Pinks. Would have been real nice if they could have re-aired the 24-hrs of LeMans or the F1 season instead of this crap. SPEED got none of my view time over this period.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:24 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CWhaley
the best part was when the dog pissed all over the floor....
Didn't it **** right on the Top Gear logo?
Old 11-29-2010, 05:09 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

yes it did... that is why it was so perfect!

Quick Reply: Top Gear US Version