Sponsored by:

Top Gear US Version

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993PET
It would be interesting to hear Clarkson's take on the show, since he's not known for his political correctness!

JF
I have a feeling that the UK show will have a field day with the US show. They so love the US that they going to be giddy about a lame US effort to simulate their British genius.

Of course, if there is a corporate overlord, they may muzzle Clarkson.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:46 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Really weak. I lasted 10 minutes. Is lame too harsh a discription? "Flop Gear" would be more appropriate as a title. Tanner needs to ditch his two co-host. There so bad that even Tracy would be an improvement.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:55 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
The only thing that concerns me about this show in the US is that it is advertiser-driven, whereas the BBC version is not. Meaning: the BBC version can slam a true POS and call it a POS, without suffering any advertiser retribution. The US version cannot, and thus I suspect its critiques will be watered down to avoid offending automotive advertisers.

On the other hand, Foust can REALLY drive. I have witnessed this firsthand. The guy is a true top tier shoe.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
+1 Do you think the US version could get away with slamming something "Green" like the Prius or Leaf?

Overall, I thought it was flat and would rather have watched a re-run of IRT or Pass Time.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:03 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 149 Posts

It was not even close to the original, but not as bad as I expected. Sort of like "New Coke" in the 80s. Totally copying the Stig was a flop.

I will give them a few episodes to get going before I stop watching. If they try to hard to mirror the original, I don't think the show will last. If they put their own style and flavor to it, it could be good.

I want to see them do a comparison between a hybrid and a TDI VW or Audi A3.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:05 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gritted my teeth and watched the whole thing

...and I couldnt agree more, the writing is utter garbage and the jokes lack the sophistication and classiness of the original. There is 0 passion and emotion when these guys drive the cars except for the dude with glasses who is actually kind of funny in a weird metrosexual kind of way.

yeah sure Tanner Foust is an clearly an excellent driver however his recent media whoring has made me sick. Dude has been in 2 car shows in the last 2 years and none have stuck yet. Also I have $20 that says Paul Tracy is the stig

at the end of the day, yes I will watch the show because it has fast cars and sweet sideways action.. but it is almost painful to watch them slowly rape the great name that it took the BBC so long to make. That being said, at least it is shot well.

.02 /end rant
Old 11-22-2010, 05:18 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ubercooper
. Also I have $20 that says Paul Tracy is the stig

.02 /end rant
Nah, this Stig did not look heavy enough. Paul's been putting on some weight.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:29 PM
sig_a
Pro

Cobra gun ship chasing the Viper put me to sleep.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:00 AM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

terrible, just terrible
Old 11-23-2010, 06:52 PM
jittsl
Racer

Horrible. Cannot believe that with 300 million people living here that no one could figure out how to steal a concept and make it work for a different audience. Instead I get a direct copy with the only difference being that they replaced driving skills with a 1 mile drag race. Really what crap.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:33 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

US Top Gear is better than no show at all (unless you want to keep watching NASCAR this and NASCAR that).

The Stig is not one person, it is a concept of the show, like the 50/50 in Who wants to be a Milliaonaire, or the banker in Deal or No Deal.

The US version hardly has the budget of the UK version. Watch 10+ years old original episodes and you will see the difference.

I'll keep watching it because it has the cars I like, and it is produced right here in US.

I'm tired of every worthy car program has to come from overseas, unless I can grow to love NASCAR which I tried and can't do.

You can't have Leno, Carolla and Dempsey with that kind of budget (and Patrick Long as the Stig).
Old 11-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Apex Rex
Racer

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
You can't have Leno, Carolla and Dempsey with that kind of budget (and Patrick Long as the Stig).
Although if Dempsey was a host on the show, they wouldn't have problems getting a wide range of viewers to watch!
Old 11-23-2010, 07:45 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Demographics would be 90% women, 5 % men, 5 % don't ask, don't tell...
Old 11-23-2010, 07:52 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
... I'll keep watching it because it has the cars I like, and it is produced right here in US.
You realize they won't be showing sportscars in every episode, as the series would run out of cars very quickly. The UK version can do a segment on the POS Reliant Robin and make it entertaining. I'm not so sure this group could do that. I'll give them another chance, but the start doesn't provide much hope.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:25 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA
You realize they won't be showing sportscars in every episode, as the series would run out of cars very quickly. The UK version can do a segment on the POS Reliant Robin and make it entertaining. I'm not so sure this group could do that. I'll give them another chance, but the start doesn't provide much hope.
They can't run out of cars. There are more new cars every year than the 14 episodes per year the UK version airs.

I don't want to see just sport cars, I want to see sedans, SUV, economy cars, pick-up trucks, even trailers being tested.

There is plenty of material that can be produced here for just 14 episodes per year.

Watch an old Top Gear show and it won't be as fun as these days. It took years to Clarkson to get on his own, and he can't drive yet.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 181 Posts

Well the first TG spin off, in Australia got better, but still lacks the chemistry of the UK hosts.

Adam Carolla would have been a better "Clarkson", Tanner Foust is the only saving grace. Lose the other two clowns, reload and try again in Season two. How about casting R. Lee Ermey (Drill Sergeant) in the "Captain Slow" role, he seems capable in a Jeep and Tank. Hoo-Ra!

Still as others have said, will watch to support USA car show content and hope it improves.

+2 cast Pat Long as the Stig!

Quick Reply: Top Gear US Version