Bruno Senna
0%
Lucas di Grassi
0%
Timo Glock
0%
Sakon Yamamoto
0%
Takuma Sato (Master of all that is carbon fiber)
4.26%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (the final round)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010 | 07:54 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

One to go: The championship situation
10 November 2010

And then there were four. Mathematically, at least. Jenson Button can no longer defend his Formula 1 title, meaning the crown is about to change hands for the fourth year in a row. This weekend will also mark the first time that the Drivers’ Championship has been decided in the Abu Dhabi desert...

A reminder of the new-for-2010 points system:
Win 25
Second 18
Third 15
Fourth 12
Fifth 10
Sixth 8
Seventh 6
Eighth 4
Ninth 2
Tenth 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fernando Alonso (championship leader, 246 points)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alonso has the easiest job, as finishing first or second would automatically guarantee a third title for the Ferrari driver. BUT Alonso will not be Champion under the following circumstances:

- Webber wins and he finishes 3rd or lower
- Webber finishes 2nd and he finishes 6th or lower
- Webber finishes 3rd and he finishes 7th or lower
- Webber finishes 4th and he finishes 9th or lower
- Webber finishes 5th and he finishes 10th or lower
- Vettel wins and he finishes 5th or lower
- Vettel finishes 2nd and he finishes 9th or lower
- Hamilton wins and he fails to score

Mark Webber (2nd overall, 238 points – 8 behind Alonso)
Whatever happens, Webber must finish at least 5th in order to become World Champion for the first time. BUT Webber will not be Champion under the following circumstances:

- He finishes 6th or lower
- He finishes 5th with Alonso 9th or higher or Vettel 2nd or higher
- He finishes 4th with Alonso 8th or higher or Vettel wins
- He finishes 3rd with Alonso 6th or higher or Vettel wins
- He finishes 2nd with Alonso 5th or higher or Vettel wins
- He wins with Alonso 2nd

Sebastian Vettel (3rd overall, 231 points – 15 behind Alonso)
Whatever happens, Vettel must finish at least 2nd in order to become World Champion for the first time. BUT Vettel will not be Champion under the following circumstances:

- He finishes 3rd or lower
- He finishes 2nd with Alonso 8th or higher or Webber 4th or higher
- He wins with Alonso 4th or higher

Lewis Hamilton (4th overall, 222 points – 24 behind Alonso)
Quite simply, Hamilton must win in order to become World Champion BUT Hamilton will not be Champion under the following circumstances:

- Alonso finishes 10th or higher
- Webber finishes 5th or higher
- Vettel finishes 2nd or higher
Old 11-10-2010 | 08:09 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

IIRC this track was conducive to good passing opportunities unlike other Tilke tracks. Grip should be VERY low starting on Friday with all the sand and until it's properly rubbered in. The Bulls should be vulnerable on those long straights. There seems to be a lot of run off room based on the video posted by 26 of Hamilton's pole position lap last year.
Old 11-10-2010 | 10:15 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Yes Pete , the track is wide............... what a nut..

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
I find this highly entertaining. Love the passion, love the favorites, love the heros and the villians.

Let's be thankful there is something to cheer for and against this last weekend of the season. Got a feeling it will be boring after Monday or Tuesday around here...
Boring ... you must be new around here .....................
Old 11-10-2010 | 10:22 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Pete
The Bulls should be vulnerable on those long straights.
With their new F duct working well at Brazil, they didn't appear to be too slow on that long uphill straight. I think that they will be fine at Abu Dhabi.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-10-2010 | 10:47 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Vettel
Alonso
Hamilton
So, I'd guess we have 3X WDC in a Ferrari!
This is a street circuit kind a like singapore GP. In that race, Alonso won and Vettel was close second...
Old 11-10-2010 | 11:18 PM
PPo
Drifting

I must admit, altough I am a Ferrari fan and I would like Alonso to win, I would be happy if Hamilton did not win the WDC. ( FYI - Do not consider me part of the AlonsoSS otherwise known as A.S.S. )

I would really like to see a long, drawn out, multi-post analysis and argument about weather or not Hamilton is even deserving of his current position in McLaren and the current WDC. But if this happens, can it wait until the off season?
Old 11-11-2010 | 12:04 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

NO worries Pee Pee Ole ........
Old 11-11-2010 | 08:23 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Why are you guys arguing about Fry? He is very talented. It seems obvious that he improved the car. This has no impact on Alonso's skill. Alonso is a top driver and he did not suddenly get better in the latter part of the season. The car got better - I suspect many of the top drivers could swap places and the guy in the faster car would pull away from the rest.
Blasphemy Bob! This suggests that drivers in fact can't bend the laws of physics with their minds and change the spacetime continuum and that winning races/championships actually comes down to which team has the best car and makes the fewest mistakes.

I'm feeling dizzy and need to go sit down.
Old 11-11-2010 | 08:48 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Exactly
Old 11-11-2010 | 08:58 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Exactly
Yeah, but your admin buddy has to constantly discredit Alonso's role in where they currently stand. We will do anything to give other's credit (or to discredit Alonso), so he can feel better (I mean less bitter).
That is my issue with all this FRY crap that he constantly keeps throwing. He will say anything but say something positive about Alonso. Like Alonso has nothing to do with where Ferrari stands. Then as always, he has to turn around and twist people's words.
He needs a better hobby.
Regards.
Old 11-11-2010 | 09:02 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

You're all lucky that Chuck Norris doesn't drive in F1. He would win every race in a 10 year old Minardi with a broken motor.
Old 11-11-2010 | 09:03 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Yeah, but your admin buddy has to constantly discredit Alonso's role in where they currently stand. We will do anything to give other's credit (or to discredit Alonso), so he can feel better (I mean less bitter).
That is my issue with all this FRY crap that he constantly keeps throwing. He will say anything but say something positive about Alonso. Like Alonso has nothing to do with where Ferrari stands. Then as always, he has to turn around and twist people's words.
He needs a better hobby.
Regards.

Old 11-11-2010 | 09:08 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
With their new F duct working well at Brazil, they didn't appear to be too slow on that long uphill straight. I think that they will be fine at Abu Dhabi.
I have to disagree. This circuit, with it's long straights will suit McLaren and Ferrari and I could see Hamilton or Alonso winning, with the other coming in 2nd. There are some tight turns but not many long sweeping turns, where RB excells. Also, the long straight past the start/finish line will be a perfect place for Ferrari or McLaren to pick RBR's up (in case they outqualify the competition).
This is what we always wanted. This could again go down to the last lap, last race to determine who will be the 2010 WDC.
Old 11-11-2010 | 09:09 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

So, you proved once again that you have a lot of spare time on your hands to go search for silly attachments.
Congrats!!
Old 11-11-2010 | 09:12 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
So, you proved once again that you have a lot of spare time on your hands to go search for silly attachments.
Congrats!!
LOL...if by "a lot of spare time" you mean the 0.0068 seconds it took on Google Images, you're right. And it looks like it was time well spent!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Quick Reply: 2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (the final round)