Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Global Tuner Grand Prix 2010 (GTGP) - VIDEOS

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 02:12 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Well, I guess the term "race car" is subjective, no doubt.
I get what you are saying and agree 100%, but..... do you remember what the difference between the '04 cup car was (real race car) vs the GT3 street?
I seemed to remember porsche talking about it being a stock street car with a cage and some bolt ons.
Certainly, the current gt3 cup cars are just insane! sequential shifters, and all sorts of other go fast bits.

Best of luck with the off season development!

Mark

Originally Posted by gmgracing
Just because a car has its interior removed, a few stickers and some good bolt on's does not make it a RACE Car, like a cup car.

Race cars have:

Porous build engines, that are highly developed, and maybe unique to a series or a type of circuit

Racing engine control units that are fine tuned and have their calibration optimized for maximum power

They have a chassis and suspension, that have had a kinematic study done on them, then redesigned and optimized for each circuit

Parts that maybe specific to one type of circuit or series

That car of brads had a totally stock engine
only a muffler delete, it still has most of the ac parts in tack, including the pump on the engine.
I call that a street car........

Feel free to use info and quote It was fast because we had a RACE Driver in a good street car, so does that make it a Hybrid?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:22 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 443 Likes on 264 Posts

Mark

Lets be honest here..

There is no way a road car is a race car.. Can a road car be turned into one sure.. But in this particular case lets look at the subject at hand.
Brads car is NOT a full blown race .. Just like your 928 isnt one either.

Despite your interpretation of what you Brads car is its a road car with a cage.

The car is smog compliant in every way and the drivetrain is stock.

While a Porsche may have made some reference to a 996 GT3 being similar to a 996 GT3 Cup I am sure it is only in reference .. Now dont get me wrong is a 996 GT3 closer to 996 GT3 Cup versus a 997 GT3 road car to a 997 GT3 Cup car.. Absolutely there is no doubt that the 996 GT3 shares more of the same parts than the 997 GT3 when the two are compared to each other.

Although the architecture is the same the similarities end there.With the cup not running any vario cam , emissions components and electronics and the road having to utilize many additional systems that make it a road worthy car.

I hope to see the 928 brigade at next years event...

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 11-04-2010, 08:29 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the most compelling or motivating factors about modifying a street GT3 is that there's so many variable to work with. 996 cups are for the most part kept stock to run in the GTC classes. There's the occasional WCS or GA cup, but most of the ones I've seen are GTC compliant. With the street GT3 you can go beyond the cup build fairly easily and create one hell of a race car. I've seen several street GT3's dyno at 380-385 rwhp with just open exhaust, GIAC street flash, and the slightly larger 997 TB. I've never seen a OEM 6-cup beyond 365, most around 355. Add the cup R & P, Guard diff plates, decent shocks & springs, a cup wing, and lose a few hundred lbs. and you'll have a cup beater. I may put the street motor & trans in my lightweight 99' 996 for next year if the markets keep performing.....
Old 11-05-2010, 12:42 AM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

Let's make this simple, Brad's car is a street car converted to a track car. It was built from a cherry example of a beautiful GT3 street car and not a beat down ex Cup car.
Brad wants to race it in POC GT3 and World Challenge GTS, two places a 996 Cup can't compete, as of right now.
And as we saw at Laguna, a properly built GT3 can run with a GT3 Cup car on certain levels.......

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 11-05-2010, 01:50 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by James-GMG
Let's make this simple, Brad's car is a street car converted to a track car. It was built from a cherry example of a beautiful GT3 street car and not a beat down ex Cup car.
Brad wants to race it in POC GT3 and World Challenge GTS, two places a 996 Cup can't compete, as of right now.
And as we saw at Laguna, a properly built GT3 can run with a GT3 Cup car on certain levels.......
I don't think anyone was disputing that James....
Old 11-05-2010, 03:46 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

James, Fab,

I get it. I guess somethings are getting lost in the translation here on the list . I know what you guys do to the street cars, and agree, Brad's car is a street GT3 with some nice bells and whistles on it, as well as some pretty nice set up help. Sure, its not like my old dog, with set up of the best Ive found, but an old chassis with old bolt ons.

I guess my only point is that when the mention of car was that it was a street car, i had to take a double take to make sure it was Brad's car. after all, I wouldnt call mine a "street" car. most race cars in the club ranks are gutted street cars. not so much in the WC ranks anymore. I still call them race cars. thats just me.

However, I do remeber reading about the early cup cars that were factory race cars. then, the GT3 street came out and it boasted to be just like the race car, but made more tame for the street, only sacraficing a few hp. sure, no vanos on the race car, but that just added complexity, and drivability on the street. GT3, GT3RS, all just sacraficed street nice-ities. I guess it all depends on who you talk to. If you talk to porsche, they just say the cup car is just a street car with a few bolt on mods. if you talk to the street GT3 folks, they say its a race car that has been detuned to the street. Like a Cat, they always seem to be on the wrong side of the glass.

Have no doubts. Brads car is a street GT3 that has been gutted and modified for the track. I dont think it would pass smog with those pipes, but i get your point.

I just get a kick out of you guys being experts on the porsche now, coming from being masters of the BMWs, and now , doing a lot of both.

Again, great time at the event. Let's start recruiting now for next year's event!

Mark

Originally Posted by gmgracing
Mark

Lets be honest here..

There is no way a road car is a race car.. Can a road car be turned into one sure.. But in this particular case lets look at the subject at hand.
Brads car is NOT a full blown race .. Just like your 928 isnt one either.

Despite your interpretation of what you Brads car is its a road car with a cage.

The car is smog compliant in every way and the drivetrain is stock.

While a Porsche may have made some reference to a 996 GT3 being similar to a 996 GT3 Cup I am sure it is only in reference .. Now dont get me wrong is a 996 GT3 closer to 996 GT3 Cup versus a 997 GT3 road car to a 997 GT3 Cup car.. Absolutely there is no doubt that the 996 GT3 shares more of the same parts than the 997 GT3 when the two are compared to each other.

Although the architecture is the same the similarities end there.With the cup not running any vario cam , emissions components and electronics and the road having to utilize many additional systems that make it a road worthy car.

I hope to see the 928 brigade at next years event...
Originally Posted by James-GMG
Old 11-05-2010, 03:48 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I didnt get a lot of time to take a look at the set up. what type of shock set up were you guys running?

Quick Reply: Global Tuner Grand Prix 2010 (GTGP) - VIDEOS