Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video of first qualifying race at NASA's Nationals....

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:12 PM
HJK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice, thanks for vid, amazed he kept at it so long. Well done though, good to see patience pay of.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:54 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

what is the adjusted HP in ST? is it like GT3 in porsche owners club?

Hey, i was 370rwhp and 3000lbs and John didnt lose much ground to me.

However, that HP/drag ratio comes in to play at track like salt lake, but the thinner air takes a little bite out of that effect.

Originally Posted by claykos
That's the problem with the "adjusted" power to weight in ST. The heavier cars get an hp to weight advantage - but the problem is they already had an HP/drag advantage. Add it all up and the 3200 lb, 400 rwhp vettes really leave you on the straight.

I think it probably equals out in outright qualifying lap time (and in that respect the classing is good), but it makes the races difficult in lighter, low hp car.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:10 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

First, thanks for posting. GREAT VIDEO!!! especially from your car!

Here is some interesting info

I do a lot of road dyno testing. (speed segment testing) if you use your tach, your 60-100mph times were in the 7.5 second range! (thats like my 1:44 car at laguna when I started racing it 10 years ago )
My car, that you saw at laguna runs around 4.8 from 60 to 100mph. you, im sure, are pretty close to that at sea level. the segments are usually 2 seconds and then near 3 seconds. you were 3.7 seconds and then near 4 seconds. altitude baby!!!!

as far as the wind goes, actually, the hotter air is better for your situation (vs colder air which would have been worse) but the aero drag is still putting you at a disadvantage. How much, its tough to say. you were drafting a couple of times and it didnt seem to help much. I would bet that vet just had a better hp to weight ratio as the most dominant factor.

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Clay the winds Friday and Sunday were about 35mph almost straight at you down the long straight. The hot winds really affected my low HP car much more than the high HP Vettes that just plowed thru it. The winds also contributed to my car running hotter (along with the altitude) and eventually my motor just said enough. Now had it just lasted another 20 minutes.....

Quick Reply: Video of first qualifying race at NASA's Nationals....