Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video of first qualifying race at NASA's Nationals....

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 01:52 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Video of first qualifying race at NASA's Nationals....

Won the pole but couldn't hold it against the faster Corvette. What we lost in power we made up for in handling and braking. It took 5 frustrating laps to finally get around the defensive Corvette but he finally left me an opening into T5. I could have forced the issue sooner, but this was the first of 2 qual races and I really just needed to podium. I kept hearing "Patience is a virtue" in my headset until "HE" too finally got tired of waiting....

So I ran my fastest lap of the week the following lap after passing the Corvette. I broke the previous ST2 lap record (by a Corvette of course) by 1.3 seconds.....

http://vimeo.com/15552228

This is my first video with my new Smarty Cam and my first upload to Vimeo. Fast forward to about 3:45 for the start; the race is over after the 6th lap....
Old 10-05-2010, 09:59 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 243 Posts

I was frustrated just watching! I've never seen such a defensive line at the start of a race, I don't think there were more than a handful of corners where he was actually on line.

The rest of the field wasn't able to keep pace while this was going on?
Old 10-05-2010, 12:16 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Rob I wasn't sure what the hell he was trying to do. He was so slow into the corners then he'd blast away to the next turn. I tried to hold back several times to get a run but I'd still catch him before the turn's exit.

The rest of the field was right behind me but not close enough to attempt a pass. Once I was by him I was gone and won by 14 seconds over that Corvette who finished second.

For the start of the second qualifying race start I blocked him on the inside but got passed by a Mazda GT who came from the 3rd row back yet passed me when the flag dropped. Hmmmm.....

I didn't wait as long this time to get by him. After the first lap it's pretty much all the same. I really need to learn how to edit....

http://vimeo.com/15556038
Old 10-05-2010, 12:41 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice pass................
Old 10-05-2010, 01:42 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Rob I wasn't sure what the hell he was trying to do. He was so slow into the corners then he'd blast away to the next turn. I tried to hold back several times to get a run but I'd still catch him before the turn's exit.

The rest of the field was right behind me but not close enough to attempt a pass. Once I was by him I was gone and won by 14 seconds over that Corvette who finished second.

For the start of the second qualifying race start I blocked him on the inside but got passed by a Mazda GT who came from the 3rd row back yet passed me when the flag dropped. Hmmmm.....

I didn't wait as long this time to get by him. After the first lap it's pretty much all the same. I really need to learn how to edit....

That's the problem with the "adjusted" power to weight in ST. The heavier cars get an hp to weight advantage - but the problem is they already had an HP/drag advantage. Add it all up and the 3200 lb, 400 rwhp vettes really leave you on the straight.

I think it probably equals out in outright qualifying lap time (and in that respect the classing is good), but it makes the races difficult in lighter, low hp car.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:17 PM
mater
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In 2009 I had a similar Qualify race but the two sharks in front of me were in gts5 I was in gts4.It is frustrating with less HP. In the national race I was able to get around him and came in second to a faster car in my class. Nice job!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX6r2CT2pB4
Old 10-05-2010, 04:50 PM
SpeedGT3
Racer

Congrats on the win and setting new records.

Man...looks like your car is GUTTED!!!

Not even a dash!!!

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior

Old 10-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Nicely done! Well timed over/under pass to take advantage of the extreme defensive line the 'vette was running.

You were really peddling to gain some distance from there to the straightaway! Nothing more frustrating than executing a hard-earned pass on a high HP car, onlyl to have him blow by down the next straight, and have to do it all over again.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:05 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

nicely dont jr, but you know that ;-)
Old 10-05-2010, 09:13 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

You proved that "Patience is a virtue". I was waiting for that guy to lose it with the smash the accelerator and then the over brake for the turns.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:48 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Senior you tired him out. You can only drive out your mirrors so long. I get really tired sometimes. That place looks like fun except for the lack of runoff room.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:04 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by claykos
That's the problem with the "adjusted" power to weight in ST. The heavier cars get an hp to weight advantage - but the problem is they already had an HP/drag advantage. Add it all up and the 3200 lb, 400 rwhp vettes really leave you on the straight.

I think it probably equals out in outright qualifying lap time (and in that respect the classing is good), but it makes the races difficult in lighter, low hp car.
Clay the winds Friday and Sunday were about 35mph almost straight at you down the long straight. The hot winds really affected my low HP car much more than the high HP Vettes that just plowed thru it. The winds also contributed to my car running hotter (along with the altitude) and eventually my motor just said enough. Now had it just lasted another 20 minutes.....
Old 10-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
I was frustrated just watching! I've never seen such a defensive line at the start of a race, I don't think there were more than a handful of corners where he was actually on line.
+1 That was unbelievable.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:52 AM
MelanomaMan
Instructor

Thumbs up

Thanks for posting up this video jr. Kudos to you for your patience out there. Great newbie video for 'what not to do' for lines at MMP, lol!
Old 10-07-2010, 11:40 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

nice pass John!!!

congrats on the race

Quick Reply: Video of first qualifying race at NASA's Nationals....