Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RacePak IQ3 Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 02:10 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't had the chance to read the entire stream of messages on this topic, but please take a moment to check out AIM before making your decision. I've been extremely happy with the AIM EVO4 + MyChron3 setup. I had Mark Wilkins drive my car around a local track and was able to compare several inputs to see where he was making up time.

The next track day, I was able to close the gap by building a checklist from the data. I'm still a novice at the DA world, but it worked very well and was pretty easy to understand. The hardest part is getting everything setup the first time, but AIM has great dealers and support for that.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by DanR
I have been to 5 tracks this year and it saved all start finish positions!
Finally!
Old 09-20-2010, 11:31 AM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

+1
Old 09-20-2010, 01:39 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DanR
I have been to 5 tracks this year and it saved all start finish positions!
Was this the IQ3? I do not remember my G2X being able to do that, but it could have been operator error.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:45 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Larry,

Do you find the G2X suited to good DA? I liked the dash look of the IQ3, but the G2X is good as well.

Between the 2 versions of Racepak... What would be your preference (if you had it to do again)?

I really think my purchase will be one of these 2 options.

Chris
Old 09-20-2010, 02:00 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Hey Chris,
Here's the simple answer:
- The G2X is ideal for dual-use street/track cars. The G2X unit can be mounted on the floor, and the display can be mounted anywhere the driver can see it, and at any angle.
- The IQ3 is better suited to a dedicated track car where it can be mounted in the driver's eyeline, typically on the steering column behind the wheel. It needs to be mounted perpendicular to the car's centerline [for X & Y accelerometers] and close to vertical [for z axis accelerometer].

The data from the two is identical, with the exception that the IQ3 includes a Gear channel standard but the G2X does not. Gear for G2X is generated in DatalinkII using a simple math channel.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

It was my understanding that when it came out, the IQ3 had the same data logging capabilities as the G2X, but of course with the enhanced display.

I like the G2X because of it's smaller size and very large readout. The display is easy to see and most people use the readout (as I did) on the track for lap times and shift indication.

I have installed them in both air-cooled & 996 cars, and by bending a simple bracket, you can mount it to the steering column, neatly tucked behind the steering wheel. It is so small that it only partially interferes with the 2 main gauges and so is really not a hinderance on the street. It is less money, and you are not paying for features that are duplicated by your own dash. It is a little more time consuming to have to mount 2 units though.

Of course, I would not hesitate to use the IQ3 for a dash replacement.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:48 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
It was my understanding that when it came out, the IQ3 had the same data logging capabilities as the G2X, but of course with the enhanced display.

I like the G2X because of it's smaller size and very large readout. The display is easy to see and most people use the readout (as I did) on the track for lap times and shift indication.

I have installed them in both air-cooled & 996 cars, and by bending a simple bracket, you can mount it to the steering column, neatly tucked behind the steering wheel. It is so small that it only partially interferes with the 2 main gauges and so is really not a hinderance on the street. It is less money, and you are not paying for features that are duplicated by your own dash. It is a little more time consuming to have to mount 2 units though.

Of course, I would not hesitate to use the IQ3 for a dash replacement.
I agree. I also think the IQ-3 has a leg up with the programable alarms. One big light to let you know something is amiss. The screen will flip to the problem value. They make back up lights with a small beeper built in. They ater handy to use as alarm lights. Light and sound to cut through the red mist.

Last edited by kurt M; 07-26-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Nice looking dash, Kurt.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:21 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Was this the IQ3? I do not remember my G2X being able to do that, but it could have been operator error.
Hi Larry,

Yes I have an IQ3 and the times I have returned to the track it already had the start / finish from the last time I was there. Not sure if it is on the SD card or in some sort of buffer memory but it was in there
Old 09-20-2010, 04:27 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Just for clarification I checked the source on this S/F question.
Both G2X and IQ3 store ONE start/finish coordinate pair. So, that's one track. If you race several times in a row at the same track, the S/F will be stored. If you go to another track, you need to set S/F again, or download the S/F from DatalinkII on your PC.

Setting S/F is pretty simple - just press a button when you are crossing the S/F stripe and it's done.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:17 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

That Dash is Fantastic!
Old 09-20-2010, 06:45 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Originally Posted by CWhaley
That Dash is Fantastic!
You should see the rest of the car. Ground-up fabrication by Kurt in his home shop. At the point where the donor tub was oven baked and unwanted sheetmetal had been cut away, it weighed around 310#. Two of us could move it around easily. It kinda felt like a cookie sheet, but its dead strong now and only 2000# wet. Some beautiful fabrication on this project.

Last edited by APKhaos; 09-20-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:42 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

now if my driver could only drive it.
I was not sure I wold get used to an all in one dash and kept all my anolog gauges in case I felt it needed a "real" tach but it only took about 2 runs to get used to.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:51 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Chris, here's how the G2X dash looks installed in a GT3. It really is a very workable setup, even for a street driven car.

Sorry for the blurry picture but it was with my iPhone using a drop light for illumination.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: RacePak IQ3 Thoughts?