Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RacePak IQ3 Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 06:37 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Depending on what you want to connect to IQ3, you may also need the Universal Sensor Module, or USM, and may be additional sensors, like brake pressure, etc. Trackvision is a nice addition, but for analysis it is not necessary, but I would highly recommend it.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:15 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The IQ3 can give you usable info with no inputs other than the internal gathered info such as GPS and G force. Outside inputs such as brake pressure, throttle position and to a lesser degree stearing angle are nice to add. Other sensors that are nice but might be more in the motor info end of things like oil pressure, oil temp, coolent temp, trans temp, fuel pressure, fuel level and the like. You can add 4 anlog inputs via a sub $200 USM and you can daisy chain them along with other racepack sensors.

I am looking into tinkering up banks of IR tire temp sensors.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:21 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CWhaley
Is the Aim dash that much better?
YES. We sell them all, and Racepak is the bottom of the pack for support and software usability/configurability.

Get AiM for that price point.

RLC Racing is nice stuff too. Good support, good product.

Chasecam has data and video on one unit now. You might want to check that out if your requirements are heavy video, light data analysis.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

No one has mentioned taking the software for a "test drive" - I suggest you download Traqview (Traqmate), DataLink (Racepak) and Race Studio (AIM) - and play with what it's like to open files, view different data channels, and see if the analysis makes sense.

Ultimately, the time spent "behind the computer" will be greater than the time spent "behind the dash".

From the surface, all of these systems have many similarities (offering vehicle telemetry, lap times, syncing video, etc.), you may find using a specific system "fits" you better. Like pants - they all cover your legs and have pockets, but some fit better than others.

Also, don't get too hung up on video systems. Sure, some camera systems might "integrate" with a data acquisition unit better, but you'll always be able to manually sync video (and the steps are all similar) - you never know when you decide to get a GoPro and mount it on the roof, or have a rear looking camera, etc. A $260 GoPro Hero HD can offer great video and flexibility - and although you'll have to sync the video manually, might be a better (and cheaper) solution.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:17 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Van....
I spent some time last night watching instructional video's on Racepak's site. The system looks very adaptable with numerous options for expansion.
Still not sure about the whole video integration yet. Your thoughts are interesting, that the Data & video are really 2 separate issues. RacePak explains that they can interface with chasecam to permit startup & stopping of the device ( I like that feature) to assist in the merging process.

Still not sure what they were talking about... They stated that buttons are needed to set the S/F line point...
Does that mean a separate button needs to be added to the IQ3 unit that you would push to sync the systems?
Or is it on the dash display already...
The thought of downloading the software for "TEST" runs is a great idea.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:54 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

- There are two programming buttons required. They are not on the IQ3 because of a design decision that they would often need to be remote for easy access while strapped in. Racepak has a pair of nice buttons and harness that they sell. Basically, any decent momentary-on pushbutton switches are all you need. Most people mount them on the console aft of the shifter. Easy to reach without really needing to look for them.
Aside from setting S/F, the only reason you might use a button during a run is to change display pages and that's unlikely given everything you need to see on track is on the main display page.
- Setting start/finish is something you do once, usually in the first session at a given track. Its retained until you run at a new track and need to set a new one. If you want ultimate accuracy, you can download SF position coordinates from your PC.
- The software installs with demo data, so its easy to take it for a drive. For most analytics packages, its much easier to have someone around who can show you how to do the clever stuff. Some of it is a bit less than intuitive.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:05 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

S/F needs to be set everytime you changes tracks... What are the PC download of the coordinates like... Acurate or "just So So"... The buttons need to be on the dash or can they go on the column?
Old 09-19-2010, 09:08 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

S/F needs to be set everytime you changes tracks... What are the PC download of the coordinates like... Acurate or "just So So"... The buttons need to be on the dash or can they go on the column?
Really? Doesn't it store each track after you run and just "know" where you are when you return? AIM does, assumed all of them do. I do understand the 1st time you go to a new track you need to set the S/F though..
Old 09-19-2010, 09:13 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

That is what I was asking... Does it retain the SF line data from then on? It would seem that it would.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:21 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Until you enter a new S/F point, it will retain it.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

That is what I was asking... Does it retain the SF line data from then on? It would seem that it would.
AIM does, I would think all GPS based systems would but can't say for a fact..
Old 09-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
Until you enter a new S/F point, it will retain it.
So it only holds the positional data for one track at a time??
Old 09-19-2010, 09:31 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

That was the impression I was getting... Seems strange that it would not "Remember" from track to track.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IIRC with Racepak you must set the start/finish line when you get to the next track. It probably just stores the co-ordinates in a buffer and keeps it until you over write it with the next S/F setting.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:51 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been to 5 tracks this year and it saved all start finish positions!

Quick Reply: RacePak IQ3 Thoughts?