Sponsored by:

RacePak IQ3 Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 09:59 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RacePak IQ3 Thoughts?

I am considering the RacePak IQ3 dash system.

1. How well does it integrate with video.
a. if so, what video works best & is the simplest to merge.
2. Ease of operation.
3. Complexity of setting shift lights.
4. Extra Sensors:
a. How complex is the installation.

What other issues or concerns are with this system...
Is the Aim dash that much better?
Old 09-14-2010, 10:11 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not done 1 yet but
2 - pretty easy once you have read the manual and done it once or twice
3 - very easy, can either do it with buttons or straight from laptop (later is easiest)
4- not wired any extra sensors yet but will do this winter and should be very easy
4a - I am terrible with anything electrical and did it in 60 minutes

overall I like the system and the functionality. Do you have friends with it as it is always good to know somone with whome you can share data
Old 09-14-2010, 10:23 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

It seems everyone around here uses either Traqmate or AIM.... even Van switched over to Traqmate.
Myself, I like the Dash system instead of a small screen off somewhere... The GPS is attractive.

Do they suggest any video system?
Old 09-14-2010, 10:25 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have the G2X, which is not that different from an operational perspective. For #1, it is a manual process to synch data to video once imported into the Datalink software, after the synch it works well for analysis purposes. If you want to publish your videos with data overlay, then you will need additional software, like Trakvision.

As for sharing data, IMHO, it is pretty useless unless you are in spec racing. There are too many variables in vehicles that data comparison usually leads to incorrect conclusions. However, comparing your own laps, sessions, with varying conditions, is tremendously beneficial. One key sensor that is missing, which no other data logger has in the same price range, is yaw. There are several situations that I just cannot figure out an explanation or take corrective notes without the yaw data, but it is livable

Couple of friends of mine recently bought SmartyCam, which does a great job with video integration right out of the box; however, the analysis software is a seperate item that brings the price to nearly double of RacePak, which I think, Datalink, is a very powerful analysis software although not the most user friendly. So, depending on your needs, you may want to check SmartyCam out.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:29 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Thanks I will also add SmartyCam to the review
Old 09-14-2010, 10:33 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

I have an older version, G2X, which is similar and uses the same analysis software. I found it as easy to install and easier than comparable products to use right away. The video merge is manual - you'll have to look to Trackvision in order to be able to merge your data and video. Racepak has and continues to work (as far as I can tell) with Trackvision to make it as easy as possible but I feel that it really comes down to the uses being able to identify a data event and match it to a video frame in order to synch the two. YMMV.

I have used the Racepak sensors as well as 3rd party sensors to extend my data gathering and found both paths to be well supported and easy to implement. IMHO - this is a real strength of the product.

The AIM dash is really nice and I'm a fan of their analysis software but there is a significant price difference between the two. Racepak has some of the best customer support I've experienced in any area and I can't say enough nice things about them. However, I'd suggest you spend some time with the analysis software from both companies to see if the additional features of the AIM are worth the price to you. I think the software is available for free on respective web sites and a polite request here on Rennlist should get you some data files a trial of your own.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:35 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Something just occurred to me - with trackvision handling the data/video merge, you can have some really neat dash layouts. There are some neat layouts posted on their forums and the files are easy to modify once you get the hang of it. The forums at trackvision.net are pretty active and worth a look.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:43 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Kristap... Thanks for the great advise.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:44 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

IQ3 is a nice system. If you want an equal priced system from AIM look at the EVO4 with Mycrhon dash. Same price, with GPS.

As with all the systems that are powerful it takes a little time to learn the idiosyncratic tendencies but if you spend the time you can get fairly proficient. As kristap mentioned the software is free from both companies as well as most of the others.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:24 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

The Aim system seems a bit more then I would ever use. That is probably why I am looking at other options.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:25 PM
Matt Graham
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've now owned and raced cars in which I've installed an IQ3 and an AIM EVO4 using the Formula Car Wheel as a display.

I have to say that I really like the IQ3 as a package. The dash, connectors, wiring, etc were all pretty easy, and required minimal use of soldering/crimp connectors, etc to get it working. The RacePak software I found to be OK if not a little clunky, but it did everything I wanted, even if it did require me to read the instructions a few times to find it. One down side of the IQ3 is that because it's a single unit (dash/display and logger in one package), you are limited in terms of placement. For example, you must mount it perfectly perpendicular to the direction of travel of the vehicle, or else the accelerometers won't work. I also had trouble with electrical interference with some of my sensors, and had to re-route the sensor wires a couple of times. Setting up stuff like shift lights, how data was displayed, etc was quite good, very easy, and offered many different options, and several pages of display.

The EVO4 was equally easy to install and setup, and had the added bonus of being separate logger and dash/display, which allowed for more options in terms of mounting of both. The AIM software appears a little better than the RacePak, but only marginally, and the features appear equal (although I'm not that deep into it yet). I personally think the MyChron display is several steps behind the IQ3 in terms of info and flexibility, and the Formula Car Wheel that I use is only slightly (if at all) better. I find myself frustrated with the lack of channels I can display/data pages available, and find myself constantly fiddling with which channels are displayed on the wheel in the config (on my laptop) based on what I'm working on/playing with on a particular day.

That all being said, between the IQ3 and the AIM, I had a car with a MoTeC ADL2 and a steering wheel display. MoTeC in terms of the software, logger features and display features is still the daddy! Sadly, they are also ridiculously expensive, and the most difficult to wire/install.

You really can't go wrong with either of the choices mentioned and I'd have another IQ3 in a heartbeat.

-Matt
Old 09-14-2010, 11:30 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Matt,
When placing the IQ3 in my 996... would placing it on the steering column present issues with the accelerometers? It was not my intention to attach it to the steering wheel.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:12 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have found that the steering column is the perfect place to mount it. They have a setup that will allow you to compensate for any tilt. My only real issue with the IQ3 is how far the connectors project out of the back. Right angle plugs would be far superior.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:36 AM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Ditto to what most have responded regarding the IQ3 except the mounting was a bit more time consuming than I expected. I had to fabricate a mount to install on the steering column of my 968.

The data downloads get easier with experience and the support available from Racepak is excellent. They're good with e-mails and phone calls, loads of help is available.

I do have a custom made mounting bracket for a 911 that came from the units original owner, let me know if you're interested.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:53 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kristap
Something just occurred to me - with trackvision handling the data/video merge, you can have some really neat dash layouts. There are some neat layouts posted on their forums and the files are easy to modify once you get the hang of it. The forums at trackvision.net are pretty active and worth a look.
Spot on. I am using an IQ3 as my full dash system. Racepack sells plug and play sensors and they also can recommend off the shelf stuff as well as have pulldown and select from a menu preset settings for many sensors. It is not hard to program in the existing sensors and or add others, from Racepack or not. Less wire too. One buss and you can dasiy chain many inputs in line. The Aptec HD video cams work well and are cheap. Having an in car charger is helpful. Go with 60 fps if you can the image is more stable.

IQ3-Aptec-Trackvision rocks. APkaos can give a good accounting of the data systems and video data merge.

Quick Reply: RacePak IQ3 Thoughts?