Sponsored by:

Summit Point Club Race - Who's in...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 12:17 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Total clusterfuch. There's too much time difference between cars of the same class. Far better to grid by quali time. Look at what happens when a class is isolated in a split start. Its only a few laps before they are 'mixed in' to the field. The faster cars from the split are the last to be assimilated, but the tail of the split is the first thing that the front end of the main pack have to deal with.
Yes, grid by time is the ONLY way to do it..
Old 09-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Total clusterfuch. There's too much time difference between cars of the same class. Far better to grid by quali time. Look at what happens when a class is isolated in a split start. Its only a few laps before they are 'mixed in' to the field. The faster cars from the split are the last to be assimilated, but the tail of the split is the first thing that the front end of the main pack have to deal with.
Originally Posted by Gary R.
Yes, grid by time is the ONLY way to do it..
I couldn't agree less.

Racing with Nasa where they grid by class is great for a couple of reasons:

1) In my experience in PCA there are large fields which means there can be 3, 5, 10 cars all running very similar times in a variety of classes. So as an example you are .3 seconds slower than your next E competitor. In a PCA grid you may have 4 or 5 cars not in your class between you and the guy you need to pass for position. That sucks. You spend much of a sprint working thru traffic just to get the opportunity to fight for position. In a Nasa situation you are fighting for position when the green drops because you are already wheel to wheel within your class.

2) Again, this is just my experience, but as you catch the slower classes either due to a split start or just speed differential they are usually very accommodating and aware and everyone has to deal with traffic at some point. At least you have a few laps running in your class all by itself before catching traffic whereas in PCA you are in traffic at the drop of the green.

Having been in several and watched several split starts they work very well.

Just my preference. I'd rather race in my class from the word go than spend 25 minutes getting thru D,F and G cars in order to race another E car for 5 minutes.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
I'd rather race in my class from the word go than spend 25 minutes getting thru D,F and G cars in order to race another E car for 5 minutes.
You pass D cars?
Old 09-14-2010, 12:58 PM
dougdep
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't agree less.

Just my preference. I'd rather race in my class from the word go than spend 25 minutes getting thru D,F and G cars in order to race another E car for 5 minutes.

if you as an E class car could fight through all these D, F, and G cars to get to the faster E's, wouldn't you have just qualified ahead of them anyway?

grid by time, not class
Old 09-14-2010, 12:58 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

I couldn't agree less.

Racing with Nasa where they grid by class is great for a couple of reasons:

1) In my experience in PCA there are large fields which means there can be 3, 5, 10 cars all running very similar times in a variety of classes. So as an example you are .3 seconds slower than your next E competitor. In a PCA grid you may have 4 or 5 cars not in your class between you and the guy you need to pass for position. That sucks. You spend much of a sprint working thru traffic just to get the opportunity to fight for position. In a Nasa situation you are fighting for position when the green drops because you are already wheel to wheel within your class.

2) Again, this is just my experience, but as you catch the slower classes either due to a split start or just speed differential they are usually very accommodating and aware and everyone has to deal with traffic at some point. At least you have a few laps running in your class all by itself before catching traffic whereas in PCA you are in traffic at the drop of the green.

Having been in several and watched several split starts they work very well.

Great way to grid if you like "boring". Fun to race people from all classes. Demands much more of the driver. Grid by times...
Old 09-14-2010, 12:59 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

it's gonna be a split start anyway:

NASA at Watkins Glen
PCA at Summit Point
Old 09-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
You pass D cars?
One time I did

Originally Posted by dougdep
if you as an E class car could fight through all these D, F, and G cars to get to the faster E's, wouldn't you have just qualified ahead of them anyway?

grid by time, not class
Not necessarily. You ever have a perfect qualifying session? More than likely there are other cars on track preventing you from getting the perfect flyer.

Also, qualifying isn't racing. Maybe I get the D car in front of me in the brake zone for T1. Maybe he's fast and it takes a few laps. Maybe he makes a mistake. Maybe I'm faster in some places and he's faster in some places.

Such a simple statement doesn't hold true. Heck, I was running with H cars at WG that qualified better than me but I caught them in the race about 75% of the way thru.

Originally Posted by FredC
Great way to grid if you like "boring". Fun to race people from all classes. Demands much more of the driver. Grid by times...
One difference is in Nasa there are prizes but I still want to race in my class regardless.

Besides, what do you know? Aren't you Canadian?
Old 09-14-2010, 01:10 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By times you can get stuck behind someone (you had a poor "FAST LAP" for several reason.. traffic..etc) or a group... by the time you get around them the next class driver you are chasing is GONE! I spent 3 laps at the Clash before I could get around 2 F class drivers (they were in a dog fight bumper to bumper). Sure I could have made several risky moves early on... but, I waited until they both made a mistake an tucked under them into the inner loop. Then turn the heat back up myself... Still, by then the next class guy was gone! Those 3 laps were costing me 2 seconds a lap.

Last edited by CWhaley; 09-14-2010 at 01:17 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 09-14-2010, 01:14 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree with Streak ( did I really just say that ? )
It's more fun to go head to head with someone that is in your class thus the racing really means something.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:17 PM
dougdep
Rennlist Member

ok, so if i qualify faster than just about all of the G and H cars i should have to start the race behind them and spend 1/2 the race working through them to seperate myself from some of the other F class cars and then have no chance of trying to keep up with Baron, Pete, Charles, carlos, etc??? (sorry to those that i have left out)
Old 09-14-2010, 01:18 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Class racing is only good if there is a strong turnout and everyone is close. Otherwise it's a DE after two laps. I like running for overalls, and if they're not all Porsches, that's even better.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:29 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

I raced three full seasons with NASA, in a split start world where classes were gridded together. Its on the basis of that experience that I say its a clusterfuch. Might be OK for the first two or three laps, but when the front of the split start pack hit the back of the 'other' pack there were more incidents and just plain bogus driving than you will ever see in a field which is gridded by quali time.

Yes, there are cases where someone has a bad quali, or no quali time. That's one or two guys carving through the field, and probably earning a Hard Charger award if successful. That, my friend, is nothing compared to what happens when the hot front of the pack hits the slow back of the pack while both are still bunched up.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:29 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by CWhaley
By times you can get stuck behind someone (you had a poor "FAST LAP" for several reason.. traffic..etc) or a group... by the time you get around them the next class driver you are chasing is GONE! I spent 3 laps at the Clash before I could get around 2 F class drivers (they were in a dog fight bumper to bumper). Sure I could have made several risky moves early on... but, I waited until they both made a mistake an tucked under them into the inner loop. Then turn the heat back up myself... Still, by then the next class guy was gone! Those 3 laps were costing me 2 seconds a lap.
up to you to manage your qualifying properly. It is as important as the rest.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:35 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Not always under your control...
Old 09-14-2010, 01:39 PM
dougdep
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CWhaley
Not always under your control...
such is life!

Quick Reply: Summit Point Club Race - Who's in...?