Sponsored by:

Summit Point Club Race - Who's in...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 11:20 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Not sure where you are coming from Charlie, I find this a great value for the $$, 3 sprints AND an enduro? Doesn't get any better that that! I would like to see how we will qualify, will it be best time in all practices for Sprint #1 and then best time in each sprint (for the next one)?
It cheapens the races, I feel. Many regions don't even recognize the third race, as they give awards based on one or both of the first two. So what really matters?

Further, it often does away with real qualifying, a la NJMP.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:52 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by bsztanko
What would you rather have? Fewer and longer races?
I personally like the short heats and love the starts. The fun race is the best part of the weekend.
I would rather go to 1 hour sprints and 2 to 3 hour enduros.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:09 AM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FredC
+1000
Old 09-25-2010, 12:21 AM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not convince the "Final" schedule is workable.

Normally we have a maximum of 18-20 cars per mile. Typically the Glen Race (3.4 miles) has run groups of about 60 cars or 18 cars/mile.

Summit Point is 2.0 miles long, so 36 cars should be good.

Last year at Summit, we had just 2 run groups of 36 cars each. When Sunday rolled arround, they realized that there weren't enough cars so they combined the 2 planned Enduro groups into 1 and ran an extra Sprint and a single Enduro with 36 cars.

This year, there are 93 Sprint drivers so 3 groups of about 31 each works.

But there are 60 Enduro drivers. Unless we have 1/3 of the cars crap out, that will be a lot of cars. Plus it will be ALL the classes from older stock to GTA1 cars.

Last year there were just 36 Enduro cars. Last year the winner completed 66 laps. The last running car did 55. He was being lapped every 5th lap.

I'm not sure how that's going to workout with 60 cars instead of 36.

I'd feel better with 2 Enduro groups and then if we have a lot of attrition, to switch over to an extra Sprint and just 1 Enduro (like last year).
Old 09-25-2010, 12:57 AM
bsztanko
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
Can't be done in pca format, not enough time in the day. Fueling becomes a huge cluster f%=& too. Not to mention the fact that half of us are in no physical shape to safely drive that long.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:47 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by CWhaley
+1000
Says the person with power steering Not you Fred. You're a just a freak
Old 09-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Is it too late to get your money back on the enduro?
Old 09-25-2010, 02:15 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in!
Need just two more to make 100 drivers registered. C'mon you holdouts. Get off the fence :-)
Sign someone up as an Enduro co-driver.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:50 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
Is it too late to get your money back on the enduro?
Thankfully I didn't sign up for the enduro.

I was also thinking that with all the sprint races, people will start bailing on signing up for the enduro. That's not good economics for the regions.

I really liked the "old days" schedules of practice on Friday - relatively relaxed and easy. Then qualifying on Saturday morning, which was intense because it was your one chance to get it right (lots of strategy, etc). Then one sprint where you were ***** out because you knew that one race was it. Then nice long enduros on Sunday in the Porsche spirit.

This multiple sprints with the "fastest lap from third practice" mixes practice with ***** out qualifying which isn't great for newbies or newbies at the track, you don't know who is doing what in the group, etc. Overall, everything becomes a bit less meaningful.

I agree with Fred, though. Long sprint, longer enduros would be cool.

I want my money back on this because I was hoping to head home Saturday night! All chaos has broken out in my household around the logistics of my needing to be there on Sunday. Why do I need to be there, you ask? Rennpoints only scores the last sprint - this third one! Doh! Rennpoints is the reason I'm going to this race in the first place. (Yes, yes, my true colors on my bitterness over the third sprint comes out...)
Old 09-25-2010, 09:43 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I feel a bit sorry for the Summit Point organizers........

As soon as that the track surfaces are fixed up and not longer a topic of discussion, people find something else to complain about.......

I wish you all a safe race(s).......
Old 09-25-2010, 09:50 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

still not too late to sign up!

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I feel a bit sorry for the Summit Point organizers........

As soon as that the track surfaces are fixed up and not longer a topic of discussion, people find something else to complain about.......

I wish you all a safe race(s).......
Old 09-25-2010, 09:58 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DanR
still not too late to sign up!
I wish I could Dan......

Unfortunately I will be in Tampa......

Keep us posted and drive FLAT OUT.........
Old 09-26-2010, 09:35 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Thankfully I didn't sign up for the enduro.

I want my money back on this because I was hoping to head home Saturday night! All chaos has broken out in my household around the logistics of my needing to be there on Sunday. Why do I need to be there, you ask? Rennpoints only scores the last sprint - this third one! Doh! Rennpoints is the reason I'm going to this race in the first place. (Yes, yes, my true colors on my bitterness over the third sprint comes out...)
Charlie, stay in. I am counting on your presence on the track!
Old 09-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I have to say I'm a little annoyed with this. I just asked the registrar to cancel my enduro entry and get a refund. If I had known at time of sign up there would be three sprints and single enduro run group I would not have signed up for the enduro. Making a change to the format after you've paid and beyond the point where a refund would be possible is simply uncool. I realize that the organizers need to see how the entries will look before making a final decision, but the refund policies need to state this and reflect potential changes to the event structure.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:47 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give it a couple of months and the snow is down and no sign of racing for 4 months and we will be begging for the issue of having to do an hour enduro.

Originally Posted by Sean F
I have to say I'm a little annoyed with this. I just asked the registrar to cancel my enduro entry and get a refund. If I had known at time of sign up there would be three sprints and single enduro run group I would not have signed up for the enduro. Making a change to the format after you've paid and beyond the point where a refund would be possible is simply uncool. I realize that the organizers need to see how the entries will look before making a final decision, but the refund policies need to state this and reflect potential changes to the event structure.

Quick Reply: Summit Point Club Race - Who's in...?