Takuma Sato
5.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

2010 Italian Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010 | 11:53 AM
beentherebaby
Racer

I'm putting my money on Alonso to win the Italian GP at Monza...
Old 09-13-2010 | 11:54 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Larry, two wrongs don't make a right, do they? lol
I think Mr Wayne's response is in defense to Mr tlc. I have only been around this racing forum for a yr so I don't have much prior history on what transpired in the past .
Raj
Old 09-13-2010 | 12:17 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Hey Raj, talk about someone being stuck on the past. ^^^

I won't hold it against yah, oldie !!!!!!!..............

Now that the Finns have a secret weapon , a very consistent secret weapon , what is one to do ...

Originally Posted by Finnishsecretweapon
Lewis Hamilton:
aj986s, Boston Blazer, Carlo_Carrera, chris walrod, Craig T., enduro911, fast_freddy, FGL28, fjpdds, Flying Finn, FP914, George from MD, Greg Phillips, ilko, Jim Child, John H, JoshuaB, Keelaboosa, Lothar, mdrums, MikeQuig, Ray S, Riff, RSA333, stuttgart46, verhag, wanna911...

Old 09-13-2010 | 12:57 PM
Keelaboosa
Track Day

Very impressive race by Alonso. After the debacle at Spa, his focus to perform at Monza must have been fierce. Aside from his idiotic attempt at squeezing Button at the start, his drive was poetry. Never any gamble, just head-down, determined, flawless driving. He kept the pressure on Button all race, and kudos to Button for his own spectacular drive. Close racing means first and second are decided by the smallest turn of events, and keeping on Button's tail allowed the pit crew to jump his position.

Well done Alonso!

And Hamilton, wtf dude?!?
Old 09-13-2010 | 02:15 PM
enduro911
Pro

I think everything that needs to be said about this race needs to be said.
- Alonso was overly belligerent at the start which cost him. He drove a great race in a very fast car to take the win, thanks in part to his pit crew.
- Button did what he could, but I think he honestly chose the worse of the two setups. If Hamilton doesn't take himself out, the straight line speed of the Mc and his car control on heavy fuel may have led to his getting past the Ferraris (go back to 07).
- Hamilton still isn't out of it, but I do think that unless major progress is made within the Death Star or Sebastian "Princip" Vettel wrecks his teammate, Webber has a pretty good shot at taking his first World Championship.

On that note, has anyone else noticed that this year's championship has seen the front runnesr make more errors than in previous years? Maybe I'm just imagining it, but we don't have that one steady and faster contender.
Old 09-13-2010 | 02:24 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Enduro, I think the errors have a lot to do with 3 teams in the hunt and 5 drivers within striking distance. The pressure is not just to beat one guy, you have to beat 4 guys and have to keep track of all their progress. This will go down in history as one of the most fiercely fought out championshiops. We are all in for a treat and this could be another one of those last race, last turn championship.
I can't wait for the next race. It will be interesting to see if RB still has it's advantage on slower/tighter tracks or the new/stronger flr design will compromise some of their future success.
Stay tuned...
Old 09-13-2010 | 02:27 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

What about Massa's 3rd in that very fast car .............

Button's setup had the added advantage of turbulence to the pursuing car. Only Hamilton and Vettel like driving in that kind of turbulence. Hamilton because of his car control and Vettel because he can't feel a thing ...

Old 09-13-2010 | 02:32 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
...It will be interesting to see if RB still has it's advantage on slower/tighter tracks or the new/stronger flr design will compromise some of their future success.
Stay tuned...
I think RBR will still be the class of the field from here on out.
Christian Horner stated on the pre-race that Monza was going to be their worse track with regards to their current chassis for this year; so yesterday was all about damage control.

I am still curious to see what McLaren is doing with their odd exhaust note with regards to their downforce/diffuser.

I see Ferrari as a solid #3 from this point forward, behind McLaren and Red Bull. The question for Ferrari is do they continue to develop this year's car in the hopes that Alonso can win the WDC (with no new engines remaining) or concede both WDC and WCC and focus on next season's car.
Old 09-13-2010 | 02:34 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
I see Ferrari as a solid #3 from this point forward, behind McLaren and Red Bull. The question for Ferrari is do they continue to develop this year's car in the hopes that Alonso can win the WDC (with no new engines remaining) or concede both WDC and WCC and focus on next season's car.
Alonso wins in Singapore and then goes on to win the WDC , Ferrari concedes nuting........

Old 09-13-2010 | 02:58 PM
enduro911
Pro

Raj, I agree that increased pressure due to competition can lead to mistakes, but I'm also wondering if the number of mistakes haven't left the door open for more competition...chicken and the egg thing if you will.

Wayne, I think you're rolling your eyes at my reference to Alonso's car being strong. It was very strong, as was the Mclaren. They literally ran away from the rest of the field. Massa's drive was good, but Alonso's was definitely better. Massa didn't qualify as well and he made a mistake by going wide at one point, therefore sealing his chance of really challenging either, if Ferrari would let him.

As far as Ferrari is concerned, I am truly surprised that after that midseason lull that they've been able to pull it all together again. The thing is, though, with the engine situation and the number of tracks that I think can really suit the Ferrari at least as well as the Red Bull, it goes back to what I was saying much earlier in the year - work on making next year's car the one to beat. I'll admit, when I made that comment, it was probably premature, but I really do think now is the time to act.
Old 09-13-2010 | 03:01 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Sounds like wishful thinking on your part.
RBR and Ferrari were both untouchable by McLaren in Hungary. McLaren had it's 2 race aero/straightline advantage at Spa and Monza. Now it's down to higher downforce circuits so I expect the pecking order to be RBR, Ferrari and then McLaren unless they prove that they have taken a step forward.
Raj
Old 09-13-2010 | 03:35 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Enduro ,

There is no way for Ferrari to back away now , they are right there. Alonso is better than both Vettel and Webbo at Singapore , if Ferrari wins in Singapore they are on there way ..

Old 09-13-2010 | 04:28 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Alonso wins in Singapore and then goes on to win the WDC , Ferrari concedes nuting........

If Alonso is to win in Singapore, what lap is Massa expected to crash, thus allowing Alonso to pit?

No need to change the proven recipe for success at this point, right?
Old 09-13-2010 | 04:32 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

What is the over/under between now and the end of the season that Alonso suffers what Mr. Hobbs and/or Mr. Matchett would describe as a "Kablammo!"

Alonso and Ferrari are not in a position to dial back the revs on their used engines ... Unless as Finn pointed out, Ferrari suddenly petitions the FIA for another "reliability" update.
Old 09-13-2010 | 04:41 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
If Alonso is to win in Singapore, what lap is Massa expected to crash, thus allowing Alonso to pit?

No need to change the proven recipe for success at this point, right?
I heard on lap 27 .......... the race is a wrap .........

Quick Reply: 2010 Italian Grand Prix