Worried Student At Road Atlanta DE

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 03:08 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Hmmm...

Sounds like it was handled well to me. The vast divide between humility and humiliation is strewn with the refuge of cars like his. Best that he suffer potential humiliation and drive home in his car than ride home in a roll back.

Exactly right. New students always show up like this. Some just simply do not know any better. One of roles of the instructor is knock some sense into them. Gently of course, but with more force if needed. For some guys it takes only a few minutes for them to figure it out. For others much longer.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Quinlan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill N
Great Wikipedia article, thanks to all who posted it. I particularly like the Bertrand Russell quotation:

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision."

Hey...wait...that couldn't apply to any of us, could it?

Bill - do I detect a trace of doubt and indecision in your response?
Old 08-17-2010, 03:27 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Skewer, it's what we do.
True, but at least we only skewer you behind your back.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinlan
Bill - do I detect a trace of doubt and indecision in your response?
Absolutely. Certainly. Most def.

Oops.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
The Dunning-Kruger effect (really, there's a name for it).
I think we should start the Dunning–Kruger Race Team.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:39 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am getting in this late and I am a long time student but you do not need to go to far fellas. These guys reign supreme on the 997 board my friends. Best threads are "Hi guys just bought a 997 Carrera 4 Cab, this things needs more power what is a cheap way to add horsepower!"
Old 08-18-2010, 02:52 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
You don't think that the student would feel insulted if he came and read this thread? He would obviously think, and rightfully so, that PCA national instructors are a bunch of dicks. (and yes I'm a certified PCA DE Corps member)

If you wanna make fun of a student, that's fine we've all done it, but for god's sake do it privately.

p.s. great message to send to potential new enrollers. "Hey come to a track event and we'll skewer you mercilessly behind your back once it's over!!"
That particular student, probably, but I think it serves as a good point for potential newbies as well. Come to the track with an open mind and humility. You're being taught by someone that has been around it longer than you (at least you assume and lets hope is the truth). The instructor needs to do the same though. You have no clue what your student knows or their actual skill level, but that doesn't give you the right be an arrogant *****.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:59 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
I cannot drive flat out. Flat out, that is how I drive - Flat Out.
this has got to be THE most overused phrase of the century. it was funny about 3 weeks ago.

Originally Posted by carreracoupe997
To all that interpreted my post to be an insult or degrading to the student. You are wrong...period. Read my post again. Nothing is said negative and I would never post anything negative about a student. Your inaccurate interpretation of my post as being degrading does not make it true, so please lets move on.

no joke.
of course we were all newbies at one time, but c'mon guys, lighten up.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:38 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reminds me of a story Hurley Haywood told us about a chief PCA DE instructor... as it goes Hurley was invited to go for a ride along with the chief DE instructor at a track event. The guy drove "some POS old 911" (Hurleys words), after the run session Hurley got out of the car and walked away without a word. Dumbfounded, he chases Hurley down and confidently asks "how'd I do?"..."how'd you do?? your'e ___horrible!" answered Hurley.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:15 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by beentherebaby
Every driver has to start at point zero. Most regions have a novice program and for many regions it's mandatory. Some novice are fortunate to actually dive on wet skid pads and use slide cars at tracks like Mid-Ohio and similar before venturing out on a road course.

Until you've actually participated in track driving you really have no understanding of what is involved so I think we should cultivate not humiliate.
+1

Quick Reply: Worried Student At Road Atlanta DE