Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Andy Lally, Pro w/ TRG drives my car NJMP, T'bolt............

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 10:37 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Andy Lally, Pro w/ TRG drives my car NJMP, T'bolt............

Did the TRG 'Advanced Immersion' Event today at NJMP, T'bolt. Great event! Lots of track time, great instruction, data analysis, and good peeps. Recommended.

So, Andy Lally is still about (fresh off the Grand Am race this weekend) so I ask him to take me out in my car... First, a really good guy. Easy to talk to. Good instruction. Second, Talented - its not often that your Instructor is speaking Italian (w/ the hands ) and correcting power-on oversteer ! Actually, smart guy he is, Andy was giving hand signals to the vid cam so I can watch and learn in the future...

The vid does not do the ride justice. I am somewhat happy to find even Andy looks "slower" with this camera . We were cooking. His inputs were fantastic. Under my guidance the car can feel light despite the slow speeds. Under Andy's hand, despite the speeds, the car just felt planted, glued to the road, heavy, etc., even when he was playing around with oversteer, etc.

He had an interesting description for cornering: 'In like a ballerina and out like a cowboy.' Inputs into the corner from turn in apex should be slow smooth delicate but once at apex pedal down and ride the car like its the rodeo - saw the wheel, do whatever you need to do to keep the pedal down.

Note the line. And for those with similarly powered cars note the gearing. Basically he drives the bottom of T9/Jersey Devil/Octopus by throttle only - turning the car via a dance on the gas pedal.

Got back in with a new respect for the capabilities of these cars and with the knowledge she wont just fly off the track (unless of course ones inputs are overly coarse). Learned a whole lot today! I just wish I had the data system installed for this event - a reason to do it again I guess...

Shout out and big Thx to Scott Leder for the heads up and the great instruction

Enjoy: http://vimeo.com/13500088
Old 07-20-2010, 11:00 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

How much actual in-car instruction did you receive? Classroom? Data review? I was hoping to do today's program but needed to get back to work after spending 4 days racing with PCA at Thunderbolt last week.

Sounds like it was a great experience.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:10 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Very cool to have a pro. drive your car...... great instructional video......

Did he leave the PSM on or shut it off?
Old 07-20-2010, 11:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
Did the TRG 'Advanced Immersion' Event today at NJMP, T'bolt. Great event! Lots of track time, great instruction, data analysis, and good peeps. Recommended.

So, Andy Lally is still about (fresh off the Grand Am race this weekend) so I ask him to take me out in my car... First, a really good guy. Easy to talk to. Good instruction. Second, Talented - its not often that your Instructor is speaking Italian (w/ the hands ) and correcting power-on oversteer ! Actually, smart guy he is, Andy was giving hand signals to the vid cam so I can watch and learn in the future...

The vid does not do the ride justice. I am somewhat happy to find even Andy looks "slower" with this camera . We were cooking. His inputs were fantastic. Under my guidance the car can feel light despite the slow speeds. Under Andy's hand, despite the speeds, the car just felt planted, glued to the road, heavy, etc., even when he was playing around with oversteer, etc.

He had an interesting description for cornering: 'In like a ballerina and out like a cowboy.' Inputs into the corner from turn in apex should be slow smooth delicate but once at apex pedal down and ride the car like its the rodeo - saw the wheel, do whatever you need to do to keep the pedal down.

Note the line. And for those with similarly powered cars note the gearing. Basically he drives the bottom of T9/Jersey Devil/Octopus by throttle only - turning the car via a dance on the gas pedal.

Got back in with a new respect for the capabilities of these cars and with the knowledge she wont just fly off the track (unless of course ones inputs are overly coarse). Learned a whole lot today! I just wish I had the data system installed for this event - a reason to do it again I guess...

Shout out and big Thx to Scott Leder for the heads up and the great instruction

Enjoy: http://vimeo.com/13500088
You learned 2 very valuable lessons from this:

"ignore all those cones"

and

"In like a ballerina and out like a cowboy." 'Inputs into the corner from turn in apex should be slow smooth delicate but once at apex pedal down and ride the car like its the rodeo - saw the wheel, do whatever you need to do to keep the pedal down.' Carry lots of speed in, settle the car at turn in to apex, making small changes in attitude as needed, then carry lots of speed out.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 07-21-2010, 12:01 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Gotta love 1 handed opposite lock.

-td
Old 07-21-2010, 12:15 AM
L8Apex
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 ^

Nice video. I enjoyed it! Reminds me when I had Auberlen take me out in my car years ago. It was a ride I will never forget and neither will my brakes. Lots o fun and educational.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:26 AM
jenk12m
Banned

i like the one hand correction
Old 07-21-2010, 12:13 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Fun to watch. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:17 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Did you get to drive Andy and get some tips on your driving?

I wish I could hear what he was saying over the windnoise.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:19 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Sorry for the late replies....

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
How much actual in-car instruction did you receive? Classroom? Data review? I was hoping to do today's program but needed to get back to work after spending 4 days racing with PCA at Thunderbolt last week.

Sounds like it was a great experience.
I hear you re work

Two groups: Race cars and street cars. Sessions were on the half hour. Every session you could have in-car instruction - your choice, I did. Track open at 9 am. Closed at 5 pm. 1 hour lunch (provided). No 'classroom' per se. You de-briefed with your instructors following the run, or could seek them out for questions, etc, as needed. Data review provided by Scott Leder and Bill (Cant recall - sorry) primarily. TRG cars were avail for rental - all had data systems, etc. Others had their own systems, etc. Good group of people too. There were guys from Mass to San Fran there.

Hope this helps some.

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Very cool to have a pro. drive your car...... great instructional video......

Did he leave the PSM on or shut it off?
Off. Thats what I am doing in the first part of the vid - pushing all the buttons . While the 996GT3 guys were laughing ... The car has the sport PASM (or SPASM ) w/ LSD and the defeat PSM switches. I am quite sure Andy was doing this: .

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
You learned 2 very valuable lessons from this:

"ignore all those cones"

and

"In like a ballerina and out like a cowboy." 'Inputs into the corner from turn in apex should be slow smooth delicate but once at apex pedal down and ride the car like its the rodeo - saw the wheel, do whatever you need to do to keep the pedal down.' Carry lots of speed in, settle the car at turn in to apex, making small changes in attitude as needed, then carry lots of speed out.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Yes, Sir. The cone thing was great, i laughed out loud when he said it.

The other thing I learned is difficult to verbalize. His braking modulation was unbelievable. Its easier to describe how Cass Whitehead did it: Brake to ABS intervention and back off just enough for threshold. Andy's braking was even more forceful but even more nuanced. Sorry but it is hard (for me) to describe.. Data would have shown what I am speaking of. Next time!
Old 07-21-2010, 01:21 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mdrums
Did you get to drive Andy and get some tips on your driving?

I wish I could hear what he was saying over the windnoise.
I do not hold enough liability insurance to drive Andy.

Spenser and he only drove, no right seat. Other (very good) Pro-Coaches for that.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

2nd gear in T5 is a surprise. I thought it would be 3rd.

That's a great opportunity, and I'm sure he was plenty tired from the racing. Some of the guys interviewed after their stints looked near death.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:50 PM
jenk12m
Banned

He didn't mind using up your tires. Lol
Old 07-21-2010, 03:25 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Andy was one of my first instructor/coaches, back when Bridgehampton was functioning. I did a lot of formula car schooling out there. It was clear that he was a talent then, and that his commitment to becoming a pro driver was total. He went from there to Pro F/2000 and up through the ranks. A great kid, loves driving and loves to have fun. I'm proud of his professionalism when I see him on TV, almost regularly now. I always love to bump into him and now I wish he'd drive my car, too!
Thanks for posting.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:05 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jenk12m
He didn't mind using up your tires. Lol
Thats what I bought them for..

Quick Reply: Andy Lally, Pro w/ TRG drives my car NJMP, T'bolt............