Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Andy Lally, Pro w/ TRG drives my car NJMP, T'bolt............

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:49 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion the only 'line' that exists is the qualifying line(car dependent), everything else is slower.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:15 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DM993tt
As a staff instructor @ NJMP I couldn't believe how early he was on so many apex's. Not being a pro racer, as andy is - my only thought is that is the trained way to defend the line. All the racers take the octopus tight to the inside when there are faster ways through that turn, but they give up the inside line for others to creep up on you there.
Dave, I don't think his line was early or slower if so, Donohue showed our club an even slower line. If you start racing and spending time with pro coaches you will discover they won't leave wiggle room on the doorstep during the learning curve. You commit to the apex and hold on at midcorner hoping to escape on the power without spinning. Early is more like not late apexing, but teaching that at a DE has implications.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
Dave, I don't think his line was early or slower if so, Donohue showed our club an even slower line. If you start racing and spending time with pro coaches you will discover they won't leave wiggle room on the doorstep during the learning curve. You commit to the apex and hold on at midcorner hoping to escape on the power without spinning. Early is more like not late apexing, but teaching that at a DE has implications.
^^ THIS ^^

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 07-22-2010, 11:16 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

VR another "oh!! moment" for me was chasing a fast racer years ago and having him just keep get away while he was missing apexing by a small margin. When I talked to Cervelli about this he told me if your consistently hitting every apex then your not trying hard enough nor driving at the limit of corner entry. Of course if your an F1 driver then this statement can be thrown out the window.

Larry and I looked at my race video from the past weekend and I realized the added grip he gave me in setup of the car/tires was wasted on exit by not pushing more. I had gained an advantage,but more than one 30min session to actually start pushing the car (reads amatuer).
Old 07-22-2010, 11:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

VR another "oh!! moment" for me was chasing a fast racer years ago and having him just keep get away while he was missing apexing by a small margin. When I talked to Cervelli about this he told me if your consistently hitting every apex then your not trying hard enough nor driving at the limit of corner entry. Of course if your an F1 driver then this statement can be thrown out the window.

Larry and I looked at my race video from the past weekend and I realized the added grip he gave me in setup of the car/tires was wasted on exit by not pushing more. I had gained an advantage,but more than one 30min session to actually start pushing the car (reads amatuer).
Spot on. I think they key take-away is making sure you hit the apexes that matter, such as ones with lots of camber or a groove, or ones where you have to be late, and not worrying so much about forcing the car to hit rest. Let the car go where it knows and wants to go. Don't force it...

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 07-22-2010, 11:22 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

cj,

sharp video...also watched the ones on vimeo with you. Your doing great.

Did Pocono two weeks back for first event of the year. Just not enough time this year.

Hope to get to JSR and Delaware.

Congrats on the new C2S.

best,
mike
Old 07-22-2010, 11:24 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

DE and Racing are two different animals......... aren't they?.........

Bob I will be looking for you and Larry at the Glen with RTR for some more pointers......I hope you don't mind........
Old 07-22-2010, 11:26 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 42 Posts

Putting it simply: The thing you always hear is slow in fast out beats fast in slow out.

Me, I'll take FAST IN, FAST OUT over either...
Old 07-22-2010, 11:40 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I've got fast in, fast spin down pat.

-td
Old 07-23-2010, 12:30 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
DE and Racing are two different animals......... aren't they?.........

Bob I will be looking for you and Larry at the Glen with RTR for some more pointers......I hope you don't mind........
Maybe Larry will take a ride with me!
Old 07-23-2010, 05:00 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Nice Vid! Such a shame the windnoise kills the instruction. He seems like a instinctive / feel driver and pretty darn quick. Bet you weren't riding the gators as much as he was either. I also love the fact that you can see the braking cadence mentioned, in the video, by your body moving back and forth. Good indication.
Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted by claykos
Putting it simply: The thing you always hear is slow in fast out beats fast in slow out.
I've always struggled to be totally convinced of that, even though it sounds more likely. Don't think it's absolute either and of course depends on how slow and fast we're talking.

Originally Posted by himself
I've got fast in, fast spin down pat.

-td
Lol, I think there's a T-shirt in that.

Last edited by 333pg333; 07-23-2010 at 05:16 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:53 AM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Let the car go where it knows and wants to go. Don't force it...
Werd...I have been schooled...
Old 07-23-2010, 12:10 PM
jamuz
Intermediate

ignore the cones! when u guys are talking about "let the car go where it knows and wants to go" are u talking about characteristics based on set up or areas on the track that have more grip? i assume a racer trailbraking more than a student in de can also turn in a bit earlier and still get the car to turn in correctly without sacrificing entry, midcorner or exit speed. am i thinking the right way?
Old 07-23-2010, 02:30 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Jamuz, the best way to get better about corner entry is starting concentrating on looking into the corner and pay attention to when you stop braking rather than when you start braking. Your braking cadence will vary per turn which is very important along with more trailing as you get comfortable with the increased speed. OCD drivers find the sport of car racing perfect for their affliction in an attempt to repeat each and every lap/turn in the same manner. When your really pushing their will be some variation on the actual line as the car struggles for grip. If you miss the apex forcing it there will only get your car more out of shape and transfer too much weight in the wrong direction. What VR is saying is coax the car around, but remember it is a heavy hunk of metal and is not interested in being told what to do. This is a common practice while racing in the rain. Let the car go, but pull it back from the extreme edge. The analogy is similar to skiing in that you must learn to turn precisely before you are good enough to dance in the trees. The consequences are the same too............................... Don't hit sh*t it hurts.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:41 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

About Andy, and this variation in line thing, back when I used to play with karts, I took Andy out a few times and I gotta say that he'd find gaps and openings to pass where they just plain didn't exist to most of us. I couldn't believe how he'd tear through traffic, although admittedly he was a national champ and we were all national chumps.

Quick Reply: Andy Lally, Pro w/ TRG drives my car NJMP, T'bolt............