Sponsored by:

NCR NHMS rules for r-comps in green group

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:33 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
no, i can`t. so you`re positive PA2s will melt down even at slow green group pace?
No, not positive as it is car and driver and run-group dependent. But if its hot and you push the car, you will take some life from them. No way around that. Don't use a wrench to hammer (unless you cannot use or forgot the hammer )
Old 07-21-2010, 08:16 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

When I got involved in this hobby every club prohibited R-comps until you were in the intermediate level (so 3 up). That would be all BMW chapters running in the Northeast (I drove with them all). When I came over to PCA I was surprised that somebody could show up for their 1st ever DE sporting a fully modified race car with Hoosiers or slicks on it.

I learned "their way" and it was a great experience. Bone stock M3 with Pilot Sports, which I changed for PS2s, and then Cups once I was in their equivalent of "White" (3rd up). By then I had enough seat time, experience, wisdom, skill, etc. to handle the stickier tires with much less audible and tactile feedback.

Pretty insightful for them to even go into the "OEM fitted" subject to cover some of the newer cars, like the GT3 that comes with N-spec "almost-Cups".
Old 07-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought NHMS was an autocross course...
Old 07-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just held a seminar for our region last weekend on this exact subject.

The best car to begin with is a bone stock car (with proper track brake pads) with as little hp as possible. That will allow the new driver to really feel the car lean, and the tires squeal, and help them to start to learn where the limits of the car really are. And with low hp, they can learn how to take lines that allow them to conserve momentum. A stock Porsche is really very good about letting the driver know when they are getting on the limit of the tires, and is actually quite forgiving.

ANYTHING that you do to "improve" the car, like R tires and springs and shocks etc, will make the car more capable, but make the limit harder to find and make the car less forgiving. It is all incremental, of course, but when you raise the limit it takes more talent to find it, and stay on it.

I see people improving their cars way ahead of their skill level, and actually driving farther from their cars limits than when they were stock. And really what DE should be all about IMHO is learning to drive one's car at it's limit rather than trying to just make faster lap times.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:43 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I see people improving their cars way ahead of their skill level, and actually driving farther from their cars limits than when they were stock. And really what DE should be all about IMHO is learning to drive one's car at it's limit rather than trying to just make faster lap times.
Truth
Old 07-21-2010, 09:48 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

just to calm down discussion - all that was too much noise about nothing really,i got response back from de chair and situation is resolved very nicely so i will run on my normal tires. rule is just a common sense precaution to protect novices who never had any experience from starting their first track run on slicks.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:35 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

...rule is just a common sense precaution to protect novices who never had any experience from starting their first track run on slicks.
Exactly.
I would strongly recommend every newbie run on streets first. It is part of best practice really. However on a case by case basis R-comps are fine. Seems very much like the region is using commong sense.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:22 AM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard a rumor, not sure if it was NER or NCR, that they stopped using the oval corners (and use the road course ends) @ NHIS because they thought the oval was "unsafe"? Can anyone verify this?

As to the OP, sounds like things were resolved nicely. Good for you!
Old 07-21-2010, 03:16 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

It's the NHMS management that does not allow us to run the oval corners.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

just to calm down discussion - all that was too much noise about nothing really,i got response back from de chair and situation is resolved very nicely........
I knew Steve would be ok with it. Be sure to say hello when you come through the tech line, I'll be the guy holding the clipboard.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:51 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

just to calm down discussion - all that was too much noise about nothing really,i got response back from de chair and situation is resolved very nicely so i will run on my normal tires. rule is just a common sense precaution to protect novices who never had any experience from starting their first track run on slicks.
My congrats to you on your very calm and cool-headed handling of this question.
We get some rather excited responses to the simplest questions here at RennList.
Have fun at NHMS; if you have autox experience and are as cool headed as you sound, you'll have fun.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
...Have fun at NHMS; if you have autox experience and are as cool headed as you sound, you'll have fun.
You can't join us Rick? We're still light on instructors.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:20 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian A.
I knew Steve would be ok with it. Be sure to say hello when you come through the tech line, I'll be the guy holding the clipboard.
will your avatar be standing next to you?

will sure do! my car number was assigned - #338. wll use my auto-x magnetic oval number with 333 and will try to make last 3 into 8.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:24 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
My congrats to you on your very calm and cool-headed handling of this question.
We get some rather excited responses to the simplest questions here at RennList.
Have fun at NHMS; if you have autox experience and are as cool headed as you sound, you'll have fun.
thanks so much, i always try to keep my emotions down, life is just too short to allow yourself to be frustrated over nothing anyway.

would be my pleasure to meet with all you guys at Aug 2nd/3rd!
Old 07-21-2010, 05:05 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

Hi Paul,
I believe that NER and NCR have the no R-compounds in Green and Yellow but I believe other regions have this as a loose rule as well. The simple explanation for it is that R-compounds do not squeal as much as most R-comps and generally speaking R-comps will 'give way' with less 'warning' than street tires. To continue the analogy, Hoosiers will 'give way' with even less margin. Hence the tire progression.

As for the fire ext, NER now states that they are no longer mandatory but "suggested." This was a change in 2010. I am guessing that other regions (such as NCR) will consider dropping the requirement in the future. Long sleeves is a similarly debated topic! Either way, NCR and NER do NOT require an extinguisher for a first event.

I am hoping to meet you at the event. There is a chance that I will not be able to attend. My wife Irene will be there either way. If you see a tall Chinese woman driving an Orange 997 TT, that's her.

See Ya!

Quick Reply: NCR NHMS rules for r-comps in green group