Sponsored by:

NCR NHMS rules for r-comps in green group

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
H....There is a chance that I will not be able to attend. ...
What?? You have to be there as you're on the tech team. I'm sure the patients can waiting till Wednesday.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:14 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian A.
What?? You have to be there as you're on the tech team. I'm sure the patients can waiting till Wednesday.
I was just about to email you! I'll keep you posted.
I'm trying like a you know what to be there.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:39 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the NHMS management that does not allow us to run the oval corners.
Why would management not allow it? They allow Nascar and Indy car to run it? I know they used to mix and match 1 infield end with 1 oval end in the past. I loved flying down into "nascar" T1 and coming up towards the wall on exit of T2.

Any reason why they won't let you run it?
Old 07-21-2010, 05:49 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
My wife Irene will be there either way. If you see a tall Chinese woman driving an Orange 997 TT, that's her.

See Ya!
Wait a moment here - first Irene drives the Mini, then the Spec Boxster, now the TT? Why not the Cayenne?
Ah, now I remember - there's a story about the Boxster.
Have fun and good driving if you can get away; I won't be at NHMS but will be hanging out with the racers at Mosport. You should join us next year, as there is an advanced only DE that is held during the race (well, more accurately, between races).
Old 07-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Wait a moment here - first Irene drives the Mini, then the Spec Boxster, now the TT? Why not the Cayenne?
Ah, now I remember - there's a story about the Boxster.
Have fun and good driving if you can get away; I won't be at NHMS but will be hanging out with the racers at Mosport. You should join us next year, as there is an advanced only DE that is held during the race (well, more accurately, between races).
Hey Rick,
Irene's not yet comfortable with loading/unloading/driving the trailer hence if she goes without me, she'll drive the TT instead. Besides, this way she'll have experienced FWD, RWD and AWD on the track!
I guess I should try the racing thing next year.
When does the 2011 PCA race schedule come out?
Old 07-21-2010, 07:11 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by racer
Why would management not allow it? They allow Nascar and Indy car to run it? I know they used to mix and match 1 infield end with 1 oval end in the past. I loved flying down into "nascar" T1 and coming up towards the wall on exit of T2.

over regulation

we run it in the scca too! WFO
Old 07-21-2010, 07:15 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been told it is because lack of a cage being used by all participants.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:50 PM
racer
Drifting

I've been told it is because lack of a cage being used by all participants.
"plausible deniability" is what I get from that.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 943 Likes on 572 Posts

You haven't run it for at least 10 years.

I'm not sure I would put the typical DE driver, car, and preperation in the same catorgory as Indy and NASCAR.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:50 AM
racer
Drifting

Thats true, I haven't run it since about 2000. But it was a blast! My instructor at the time said he was suprised how quick that corner could be since he didn't feel he was as fast in his own car as when he rode with me (and this was in a 120hp 914). It also sounds like there could be "background" issues of folks having trouble with the configuration (whether it be student or instructors) and hitting the wall too often. Anyway.. I'll drop it.

It just seems ironic to me that a group would require non Rs for a novice so they can learn better, and then take away a great corner that you have to learn how to drive. Something tells me its more about club politics than track management and thats a shame.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 943 Likes on 572 Posts

Something tells me its more about club politics than track management and thats a shame.
Completely wrong. It's the folks at the track that won't let us run the oval. We have tried to get it multiple times and are told we can not run it.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

I know Matt, I was with the NER when I last drove a p-car through the oval, a long time ago.

But there is nothing more thrilling then wheeling chikita or for me the FF wide open through the turn. It seperates the field pretty quickly and it's very obvious when someone lifts going in.

Aug 21-22 RAL I'm signed up, are you shooting that race?

Rob
Old 07-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

I think it was last season that there was infield work going on and we ran NASCAR T1 except there was a gentle chicane of cones put in. It was fun.

I do think that the complex of the regular T1-T2 is much more challenging than a higher speed banked turn. Now that T1 is an even greater decreasing radius, it makes it that much more of a challenge to do 'right.'

Still, I think it would be fun to occasionally run the North or South oval just for the variety.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

I agree Dave the new infield turns are pretty good, but it makes an already slow track even slower.

With the ford, we go mostly flat through Nascar 1&2. The car is set-up for that turn. I can gain at least 5 car lengths on most of the other cars in my class, if I'm able to keep WFO through it.

THe so. chicane is definatly more technical and a thrill in it's own right. I have the track record for it with the old config., but we rarely run it anymore.

I've run the 968 but not the 911 in the so.oval, so I can't speak for the P-car crowd. But I think you haven't experienced the "pucker Factor" of entering that corner as fast if not faster than NASCAR does and hold it through track out, WOW every race i'm stunned at how the car holds. Then you carry sooo much speed into turn 3, better have good brakes.
Sorry for the ramble.

Have fun up there, some day I'll have to go back for a DE.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:14 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, never heard of such a thing on the West Coast. And I was present pretty much the first day the first R compound tire showed up in the US (1983 Yokohama test session for the unveiling of the A001R). While we can debate the merits, I find it hard to exclude based on the equipment presented. Having prerequisites as far as prior experience, etc.? Sure. Why not just tell a beginner he can't show up with anything more than a 205 tire and 15:1 wt/hp ratio? After all, it's purely about learning.

Funny to hear you guys talking about what can/can't be run with track configuration, and the level of competition. Consider in a couple of weeks IRL will be here at Sears Point, and they don't run the full course. And before the "it's too dangerous for them in their present configuration" pops up, consider that 30 years ago ground effects Can Am cars were lapping faster than anything but the most modern ALMS car. (ALMS ran here until 4-5 years ago.)

Quick Reply: NCR NHMS rules for r-comps in green group