Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NJMP PCA RACE "Attack of the Barbie Car"

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 08:40 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Time to start bitching about how long it takes PCA to post mylaps data...
Old 09-02-2010, 09:46 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by kush07
Thanks. Hope to join you guys one day. Looks intense.
The SPB's look like a lot of fun don't they.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:34 PM
kush07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
The SPB's look like a lot of fun don't they.
It all looks fun. How long has SPB been around? Seems to have attracted a big following.

I'm really enjoying learning for now and have a ways to go (maybe not so far after reading some other threads). Time commitment is an issue with 3 little ones around. Biggest limiting factor is what was said in another thread where the driving should be instinctual so you can concentrate on racecraft. As much as i feel im progressing, im definitely not there yet. Another racer (qwickrick) told me it clicked for him when he went from 20 days to 40 days in a season. It's that's consistency, muscle memory, and track knowledge that I'd want before feeling comfortable joining the ranks.

In the meantime, I race vicariously on this board. I've actually picked up some really good nuggets from this site.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:38 AM
bsztanko
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kush07
It all looks fun. How long has SPB been around? Seems to have attracted a big following.

I'm really enjoying learning for now and have a ways to go (maybe not so far after reading some other threads). Time commitment is an issue with 3 little ones around. Biggest limiting factor is what was said in another thread where the driving should be instinctual so you can concentrate on racecraft. As much as i feel im progressing, im definitely not there yet. Another racer (qwickrick) told me it clicked for him when he went from 20 days to 40 days in a season. It's that's consistency, muscle memory, and track knowledge that I'd want before feeling comfortable joining the ranks.

In the meantime, I race vicariously on this board. I've actually picked up some really good nuggets from this site.
20 to 40 days a season is only necessary if you are ....., fill in the blank, i don't want to hurt any feelings.
I have driven four events this year and did pretty well, this is my first year of racing. In the past nine years or so since I have been driving on track, I average 4 to 6 DE's per year. You do not have to commit a huge anount of time to have fun and be competative.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:16 PM
kush07
Racer

Originally Posted by bsztanko
20 to 40 days a season is only necessary if you are ....., fill in the blank, i don't want to hurt any feelings.
I have driven four events this year and did pretty well, this is my first year of racing. In the past nine years or so since I have been driving on track, I average 4 to 6 DE's per year. You do not have to commit a huge anount of time to have fun and be competative.
I hear ya. I think going from 20 days to 40 days he was telling me that's when he really brought his driving to a new level. As others have said, there's no magic number for when one is ready to race.

Bottom line for me is I need seat time. I'm getting better and definitely understand a good amount of what I should be doing. Executing consistently is a different story. I also lack the level of the "seat of the pants" feel that I would want before I ever entered a competitive environment. All in good time.

Sorry for hijacking this thread btw.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:31 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bsztanko
I agree, but based on your results this season, you may be the exception to the rule. I mean lots of D and E drivers have been chasing Dwayne Moses for years and been unable to give him the run for the money you did at NJMP. Are you planning to join us at Summit Point?
Old 09-03-2010, 12:40 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Default yellow Sprint 1 video

Finally was able to "sort of" edit the video of the Sprint 1 race. Included both front and rear view cams (not overlaid but in sequence as is painfully slow to make such an elaborate edit).
Tightest H class race I've raced so far. Great fun!

http://vimeo.com/14630292

See you guys at Summit.

Last edited by cgomez; 09-03-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:16 PM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by cgomez
Finally was able to "sort of" edit the video of the Sprint 1 race. Included both front and rear view cams (not overlaid but in sequence as is painfully slow to make such an elaborate edit).
Tighest H class race I've raced so far. Great fun!

http://vimeo.com/14630292

See you guys at Summit.
nice fist pump wen passing Pete on the straight
Old 09-03-2010, 01:49 PM
bsztanko
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
I agree, but based on your results this season, you may be the exception to the rule. I mean lots of D and E drivers have been chasing Dwayne Moses for years and been unable to give him the run for the money you did at NJMP. Are you planning to join us at Summit Point?
Would love to come to his home track and continue the battle, unfortunately it is not likely I can make it. Next year for sure.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:27 PM
syncspeedinc
Instructor

It kills me to do this but work commitments for the next year has changed my racing plans as of today and it looks like I am going to sell my Spec Boxster if anyone is in the market. It is way, way, way too nice of a car to let sit around and not race for a year.

Highlights,

1998 45K on body ( factory silver with factory black top )
Piper Motorsports cage
2 races on car build
5 front and 5 rear rims
Factory hardtop ( makes it SCCA ITE legal and no need for arm restraints )
NASA ( one win ) and PCA class markings
AWE Tuning custom exhaust
SFI sealed fire-system
lightweight battery
Side window still mount for sealing out weather during trailering
All the right bits on the suspension
Stock motor w/ new OEM waterpump, LN thermastat, 4 inch reduction crank pulley......... all the right updates and service items
2 QT Accusump and remote oil filter
New AOS inside motor and out
on and on and on.... a really, really nice race car
Radio harness

Ton of spares ( exhaust headers, intake, MAF, coils, coolant tank, master cylinder, spare longblock, starter, .... )

Not cheap, this is not a fire sale.

I will post a link to photos later this weekend, email me for more info.

Sadly,

Chris Kellett
Old 09-03-2010, 08:13 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Yellow Sprint 2 Video

Another edited video with front and rear cam views of good racing with Tremper, Baron and Crawford:

http://vimeo.com/14683933
Old 09-04-2010, 09:53 PM
s2steve
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gums
A couple of early practice session shots of the Blue Group grid.

And then that nice Blue 944S2 which was the worker's choice car.
Frank - It was nice to meet you last weekend. Thanks for the post of my car in it's former glory and the heavily edited video of the Sprint race on Sunday. One quick glance of that steaming mess was enough. I definitely plan on being back next spring - need to find a good roller.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:22 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve, I really liked your car and was happy to be in close competition with you. You were putting more pressure on my than I had expected. It was a total bummer when I came around and saw what had happened. Any idea what went wrong? Hope to see you soon, and perhaps I can help with some contacts on that roller....
Old 09-05-2010, 08:28 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Steve, I heard about your misfortune and very sorry to hear about it. You were having a great weekend tearing up your class. Glad nothing happened to you.

Good luck getting that car rebuilt and ready for Lime Rock.....

Quick Reply: NJMP PCA RACE "Attack of the Barbie Car"