Sponsored by:

VIR Rumble at the Oak Tree complete

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 11:17 AM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FilthyF14
Despite the obvious issues with mind-numbing, energy-sapping, off-the-chart heat index weather at VIR this weekend, I'd like to hear some comments - both good and bad - about the event. Registration was down about 20%, and sponsorship down about 50% from last year. Trying to determine if there is a trend to explain why.

PCA Zone 2 is planning on holding this VIR event again next year but is concerned that it won't be viable without greater participation.

Thanks in advance!
Rumble at the Oak Tree - Club Race Registrar.
Thank you for putting on a great event and the switch in the Sunday format due to the heat was a great move. I had two friends who would have been there if not for car issues, never mind the heat. The weather is too unpredicatable to try and schedule the event around it. If you race in the East, it is going to be really hot somewhere, sometime, that's just one of the challenges of the sport.

On another note, can anyone post or send me video from the Sunday black sprint restart from the back half of the field? I had a great restart and then almost lost it between 1 and 2 and would love to see the replay of the save from behind.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:20 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
Thank you for putting on a great event and the switch in the Sunday format due to the heat was a great move. I had two friends who would have been there if not for car issues, never mind the heat. The weather is too unpredicatable to try and schedule the event around it. If you race in the East, it is going to be really hot somewhere, sometime, that's just one of the challenges of the sport.

On another note, can anyone post or send me video from the Sunday black sprint restart from the back half of the field? I had a great restart and then almost lost it between 1 and 2 and would love to see the replay of the save from behind.
Frank, great to see you back on the track
Old 06-28-2010, 11:22 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with Chris on this one. WAYYYY too hot...and I'm from South Florida! The Aim dash in my car showed in car temp of 126 degrees during Sunday's enduro. Yes, I have a cool suit and am in good shape but hell, you can slow roast meat at 126 degrees.... The bottom of my feet and my a$$ were on fire. The car ran really hot too which sapped power. Love the track, love the facility but the date needs to be later in fall or I won't be back next year nor the guys I came with this weekend.

Last edited by PedroNole; 06-28-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:50 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I passed primarily because of the heat. Did the race last year and thought that was too hot.

... but a contributing factor was the VIR paddock. That area has morphed into the worst of any track I drive. By far. What started out as small stones a few years ago has been ground into a very fine, deep, near dust-like surface. Can't stand it.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:57 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave, the small stones were a perfect size to become embedded in hot tires. The first few laps of every session were a shrapnel shower as the stones released. VIR went to the smaller screenings to reduce thsi problem. Asphalt would be better, but hotter of course.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:02 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
Hey Frank, nice to see you at the track too, and thanks for helping with my tires.

I had my rookie race last weekend. What a blast! From my point of view as a rookie, the race was very well organized and it was nice to meet and race with everyone. It was also great we had David Murray there, who gave me two good tips.

I don't have a coolsuit but it wasn't a problem for me on Saturday. Unfortunately I have to skip Sunday not because of the heat, but a sprained right ankle .

Don't think the heat is the issue. I was at Summit Point last weekend for the Lemons race. It was also in the mid-90s. The event was full and so seemed Hyperfest (must be the Daisy Dukes contest?)

I will definitely do the VIR race again next year, whether in June or not.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:04 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by good hands
Thanks Scott, hope to be chasing you down at a club race soon. Amazing how all the hours and dollars of preparation are so worth the minutes of on track excitement and fun. Heat? What heat?
Old 06-28-2010, 12:07 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 986
Hey Frank, nice to see you at the track too, and thanks for helping with my tires.

I had my rookie race last weekend. What a blast! From my point of view as a rookie, the race was very well organized and it was nice to meet and race with everyone.

I don't have a coolsuit but it wasn't a problem for me on Saturday. Unfortunately I have to skip Sunday not because of the heat, but a sprained right ankle .

Don't think the heat is the issue. I was at Summit Point last weekend for the Lemons race. It was also in the mid-90s. The event was full and so seemed Hyperfest (must be the Daisy Dukes contest?)

I will definitely do the VIR race again next year, whether in June or not.
Toby, you are welcome and you did an awesome job, very impressive rookie race.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:11 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Fun event, despite the heat. If it weren't for the cool suit and an air conditioned room at the track, I would have been toast. Two of the guys in my crew had symptoms of heat exhaustion (headaches, fatigue, cramping) and didn't run on Sunday.

Anyway, it was a fun event for me... especially since I hadn't been to VIR since my second track event ever. The thursday night test-and-tune was greatly appreciated, as was the lecture by David Murray about his line around VIR, as it allowed me to get up to speed by the second sprint on Saturday.

Performed well in the first Sprint, but got bested by my two in-class competitors (Jimmy Martin and Andy Hansen). Did much better in sprint #2, turning a personal best 2:12.6, taking the G class win (not sure if Jimmy had a mechanical problem as I passed him late in the race) and placing 4th overall in the black group.

Kudos to the organizers (especially to my fellow RTR guys Mike Andrews, Brian Minkin, and Tom Zaffarano) and all the volunteers for standing out in the stifling heat so I could drive around in circles all weekend.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Kuhl328
AutoX

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
First sprint race was good. Kasey Kuhlman gave me a great run and finished close behind me. As he said afterwards - if there were no 13 rule, the outcome may have been different!
Chris: THAT was a fun race! Good job by you. Damn it was hot.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:47 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 96 Posts

Kasey if you have video to that race could you send it to me or send a link.

Also would you be interested in staring MOTEC data for the weekend. If not that is fine, but I think each of us had sections of the track that we lost ground.

Clearly I coudl brake later at the end of the backstraight. Lesson learned.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:55 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have been there had my car been ready. I love VIR and think Zone 2 puts on a great event. Set a race date next year and I'll be there.
I rode my bike 60 miles this weekend so I can't complain about heat.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:03 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Miserably hot, even with a cool suit. I decided not to run on Sunday.

I think the heat helped confirm for me that I must get my endurance up prior to future events. I performed miserably in the second sprint race, spinning twice, flat spotting tires, etc.

First sprint race was good. Kasey Kuhlman gave me a great run and finished close behind me. As he said afterwards - if there were no 13 rule, the outcome may have been different!

I wont do this event at this time of the year again.
Chris Brown is this you? if so, it was nice to meet you and your family. i have to admit that you did look exhausted after that 2nd sprint race
Old 06-28-2010, 01:12 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 96 Posts

Yes, this is me! Nice to meet you too, and we need to get you into one of these cup cars soon! For saftey if for no other reason.

I need better cardio in my routine. Somehow 6'0" and 225 in college was just right but at 40 years old it doesn't feel the same!

I'll be pulling for you later this year. I'm not a Panthers fan anyway!
Old 06-28-2010, 01:13 PM
jenk12m
Banned

i was there running the DE and had a great time despite the heat. also, since #s were down for the racers. the DE guys got a ton of track time for three days and I left around lunch time on sunday.

now as far as attendance being down, its tough to pinpoint one reason. its hit or miss on any weekend and i believe these are record temp high's for this time of year. attendance was great the year before and nobody really complained about the dates. im sure the economy is still affecting people so its tough to say

Quick Reply: VIR Rumble at the Oak Tree complete