Sponsored by:

VIR Rumble at the Oak Tree complete

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:50 AM
FilthyF14
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
Default VIR Rumble at the Oak Tree complete

Despite the obvious issues with mind-numbing, energy-sapping, off-the-chart heat index weather at VIR this weekend, I'd like to hear some comments - both good and bad - about the event. Registration was down about 20%, and sponsorship down about 50% from last year. Trying to determine if there is a trend to explain why.

PCA Zone 2 is planning on holding this VIR event again next year but is concerned that it won't be viable without greater participation.

Thanks in advance!
Rumble at the Oak Tree - Club Race Registrar.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:24 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

There are a bunch of us who would attend the event if it were in the mid September time frame.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:35 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
There are a bunch of us who would attend the event if it were in the mid September time frame.
I agree. Something between Road America and CMP would be perfect.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:44 AM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fred,
Is that because the current date conflicts with another event, because it conflicts with a lot of people'ls family vacation time or is it just a function of the weather this time of year? Personally I had
a great weekend. Yes it was VERY hot but there are ways to deal with that. I think this is a great event at a great facility and I don't understand why more people don't attend.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:54 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Our racing schedule is front loaded. Having this race early in the fall would extend the racing season nicely. I hear VIR is stinky hot in June too. How was the racing last weekend? Any hardware to bring home?

Originally Posted by TIM COSTA
Fred,
Is that because the current date conflicts with another event, because it conflicts with a lot of people'ls family vacation time or is it just a function of the weather this time of year? Personally I had
a great weekend. Yes it was VERY hot but there are ways to deal with that. I think this is a great event at a great facility and I don't understand why more people don't attend.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:54 AM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had planned on attending the event. But, business got in the way. For me the current dates are fine. as stated by tim costa.... there are ways to combat the heat. VIR is a fantastic track and should stay on the schedule.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:56 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm with Fred on timing and would go further to say there needs to be more national oversight on the timing of all the races. Other examples for me would be the Glen and Mid Ohio - NJ and Road America. Just bad timing if you want to do both. I just end up doing the local races to me and skipping the ones further away because of poor timing.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:00 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts

Miserably hot, even with a cool suit. I decided not to run on Sunday.

I think the heat helped confirm for me that I must get my endurance up prior to future events. I performed miserably in the second sprint race, spinning twice, flat spotting tires, etc.

First sprint race was good. Kasey Kuhlman gave me a great run and finished close behind me. As he said afterwards - if there were no 13 rule, the outcome may have been different!

I wont do this event at this time of the year again.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:18 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

I didnt Race... but drove at the DE... it was HOTTTTT but usually not that hot this time of year..

great event !
Old 06-28-2010, 09:58 AM
fryd
Burning Brakes

I can speak for myself and a few other Canadian Cup types...we had 10 Cup cars at the Calabogie Cup race this weekend. All Canadians from Toronto/Montreal/Quebec. New track, great facilities and not that far of a drive. They will do this race again next year, although I'm not sure which weekend.

Most of us did VIR last year but found the heat to be too much. As Chris says, even with a coolsuit. And I consider myself to be reasonably fit. Loved the track though. 17hr drive didn't love.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:17 AM
vbcracer
Rennlist Member

I love this track and the Zone 2 folks who put it on but it's scheduled in the wrong time of the year. I know the Zone 2 folks would like a different date but track availability is a problem. I think next year I will not register until I can see a weather report for that weekend.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:51 AM
TIM COSTA
Pro

How was the racing last weekend? Any hardware to bring home?

Broke something in the trans during the second practice on Friday. Drove about 2 1/2 hours to Charlottesville where Kenny and Adam, HUGE thanks to the Werkstatt guys, met me and we switched out the bad trans for a spare that I had. Got back to the track around 11pm. Had to start at the back for qualifying but still got a decent enough time to start next to Andy Jenks. Won the first sprint, missed the grid for the second sprint started 39th? finished 17th with nobody between me and Andy at the checkered flag. He ended up beating me by 5 seconds.

I also blew off the enduro because of the heat but honestly the temperatures we saw are really not the norm. As I said last year.... its June in North America where is it NOT hot?
Old 06-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
I'm with Fred on timing and would go further to say there needs to be more national oversight on the timing of all the races. Other examples for me would be the Glen and Mid Ohio - NJ and Road America. Just bad timing if you want to do both. I just end up doing the local races to me and skipping the ones further away because of poor timing.
+1000

VIR in late Sept or early Oct would be nice. And the two weeks separating Mid Ohio and the Glen is a real shame. Most people can't do 2 races in 2 weeks but would otherwise love to race both M-O and the Glen.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:13 AM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree regarding scheduling. For Northeast people (NY CT NJ Mass), the schedule is not only front loaded, but also too tight. LRP, Mid-Ohio, and the Glen in very short time frame - then nothing...
Old 06-28-2010, 11:17 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

+1

My track schedule has a hole in it for September.
No NASA races and No PCA races
I can make it to.

The VIR race is the weekend after Hyperfest with NASA and back to back weeks is a tough sell with the wife.

Quick Reply: VIR Rumble at the Oak Tree complete