jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it can be hot anytime from may until september so you just never know
Old 06-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I had a good time, it was definately hot but not so much i would not go. Cool suit definately made a difference for me once i finally got a shirt on saturday.

I wish sunday would have been a sprint race early on (i had to be on a plane that nigth that ended up delayed by 6+ hours and made for a horrible night). but i probably woulda missed it anyways as my steering rack pooped out on me.

I think the event was run well, i wish my baby could have enjoyed it more but at 11 weeks and that heat the wife just had to be bored all day.

Toby congrats on the weekend, and to you as well Frank. Ill put some vids up of you two when i get back from my business trip.

I had a couple good runs and some iffy ones but ended up wtih two 3rds on saturday so i cant complain tooo much.
First black sprint race was a little mayhem though...
Old 06-29-2010, 07:50 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I did not even consider VIR this year because it was so hot last year. My understanding is that it was really hot in '08, too. I probably will not do the VIR race again if it is in the summer.

See if you could switch with NNJR for their early November date (currently a DE). That would be IDEAL!!!

I understand that regions are responsible for the races and obtaining the track dates, but some coordination on dates would be great. I did Road America several years in a row until NJMP race dates started around the same time. As Sean said, it is so much easier to do the local race - but I still really want to go to Road America! It is tough to do both when they are on consecutive weekends. The Mid Ohio/Glen race dates are a similar problem. I would race at Mid Ohio EVERY YEAR if it weren't always two weeks before the Glen (arguably one of the two largest east coast races in the year).
Old 06-30-2010, 12:13 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 702 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman

See if you could switch with NNJR for their early November date (currently a DE). That would be IDEAL!!!
The NNJR VIR date is direct conflict with Carolinas Region Club Race at CMP.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 06-30-2010, 01:00 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by naroescape
The NNJR VIR date is direct conflict with Carolinas Region Club Race at CMP.
Zone 2 didn't seem to care to run this by the Alabama region a couple years ago did they...
Old 06-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

Central and Southern VA weather is all over the place in the summer. Today at my house it is nice. Mid 80s, low humidity. It was brutal at VIR this weekend, and I was not even racing. I would have been but I need to save to upgrade my oil cooler if I want to race in the summer heat. 250 deg oil temps are not ideal for an air cooled motor.

Regardless of the date next year, I will be doing the VIR race. Can't miss that much fun.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:23 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FilthyF14
Despite the obvious issues with mind-numbing, energy-sapping, off-the-chart heat index weather at VIR this weekend, I'd like to hear some comments - both good and bad - about the event. Registration was down about 20%, and sponsorship down about 50% from last year. Trying to determine if there is a trend to explain why.

PCA Zone 2 is planning on holding this VIR event again next year but is concerned that it won't be viable without greater participation.

Thanks in advance!
Rumble at the Oak Tree - Club Race Registrar.
Can you tell me the outfit that was there taking pictures?
Old 07-02-2010, 11:23 PM
FilthyF14
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

Photo folks at VIR. Photo Gifts Galore - their website is http://www.fandsenterprises.com/vircar.htm
Old 07-03-2010, 12:30 PM
esscape26
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you put a 944 Cup race in, that would draw back some of the cars in the lower classes.

None of the slower cars did the enduro and that may carry on until next year. Some of these drivers told me they are losing interest due to lack of cars in their classes, so they say if it is hot and I am going to get run over by Cup cars, why do it?

You do have to have the lower street classes (even while they age) to keep registration numbers up. So some of this is PCA national's responsibility: to combine the lower classes with the older cars into less classes, with some leveling system (weight), so that people have someone to race against.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:05 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Esscape, how's your car? How are you? That was a bad accident....
Old 07-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Kerrigan Smith
Advanced

Phil,

Thanks to you and all of the volunteers who made this event possible. Our customers had a blast and they will be back next year. The DE event was a great deal with tons of track time for the participants. It was extremely nice of you guys to pass out as much water as you did for the weekend. I loved the addition of David Murry being there offering coaching assistance to those who wanted it.

As for the weather it is always a gamble and if it had been this weekend you would of had temps in the low 80's. I know it is a big event and you guys put a lot into it, so again thanks.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:32 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VIR is one of my favorite tracks...but I won't go to race in the summer. I think it would be a great late September/early October event.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:33 AM
esscape26
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That was not me, but my fiance Tom. He is fine. I ran over there right away and he was already out.
The car's frame is actually salvageable, but I wanted a new car anyway (not that I wished that to happen).

PM

Quick Reply: VIR Rumble at the Oak Tree complete