Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's go back to the basics......

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

First off, I don't think you were on the tail of the boxster enough to try that dive-bomb move... you're too far back to try and out brake him.

Second, you leave the wall at around the 200 marker, and head straight down to the apex. That's a pretty early turn-in approach that will cause you to really have to slow down the speed of the vehicle because you'll need a lot more rotation 1/2 through the corner.

Third, you bet against physics. Look at your G forces on the lower left... that's your braking force. You're braking quite hard at the apex (1.5-ish Gs). Under this hard braking, you go over the curbing (upsetting the car) and give it some steering input. Probably, a tire or 2 locked up because you exceeded their traction limits, and then it was all over for you.

If you'd been able to do a smooth brake release and counter-steer more and sooner, you might have been able to correct the car's trajectory to the outside of the track, regain composure, and continue on - however, that trajectory might have put on on a collision course with the boxster.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
One other comment lifting is not bad if you stay on top of it. Cervelli and Patrick Long do it when you need front grip and in corner transition. Early power in your case would have put you very wide with understeer.

Truth. And they're not the only ones who do it.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 06-19-2010, 09:23 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
but were you coasting and not on throttle through there? That certainly will toss you around.
Originally Posted by U4EEAH
Looks like you had executed a perfect pass and maybe did not stay committed to the throttle fearing you had no room to track out because of the boxster.
Originally Posted by PedroNole
Had you took command and not held your line so tight (you were even trying to keep it tighter...) you would have better balanced the car. Then, with full throttle application, you would have been able to better control the car.
Originally Posted by bobt993
Early power in your case would have put you very wide with understeer.
Data overlay shows he's hard on the brakes at the apex.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:37 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In short - bad line. Maybe the Boxster forced you, maybe not.

When you make the classic inside, out-braking pass, you go straight UNTIL you get to the normal line and blend into that. That makes the corner an increasing radius. You made a VERY early turn in, and made it a severe decreasing radius. Hitting the curb also didn't help but I doubt you would have made it even without the curb.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Data overlay shows he's hard on the brakes at the apex.
Which is what I said in post #2, even without the benefit of seeing his data.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 06-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Oops, sorry I didn't quote you, too, Dave.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 568 Posts

Slow hands. The car is starting to develop too much slip angle right before you got to the curb. You didn't start countersteer until the car was getting away from you and then you stuttered with it. The opposite lock didn't happen until you where too far gone.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:55 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

To me that seem like a big time dive bomb. You were 1-2 car lengths back when you tired the move which to me looks like you need to go in way deep. You went in so deep you outbraked yourself and was forced to enter the turn with too much speed for the line you were taking. The reason you went to fast of course was that you need to pull off the pass.

So in my mind even if the car infront was slower than you in that corner you pulled a move from too far back. Luckly to not take out the other car in all this.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

There were at least 2 full car widths between you and the Box when you went by him....why ? Shy ? Didn't want to muss up your hair ? You were both wearing the same dress ?

Classic "fade in on entry" issue. You gave up all sorts of radius, and (as already pointed out), made a bee-line to the apex.

Dude, really.

When passing at corner entry, skin the guy you're passing. You should have been able to reach out and whack his passenger side mirror.

Use as much track as you possibly can. Some will think the "shave it" pass is overly aggressive, but it's really overly defensive. If the bozo turns down on you, it's just a little bump. Give him two car widths to get a running start...and you'll be headed for low earth orbit.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:06 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Good advice professor.......

I guess I am a bit timid to get close, will try more skin passes on my next race.......

I probably was getting too frustrated of being pulled on the straights and then slowed down on the turns, but that is no excuse......

Will do better next time....... I promise........
Old 06-19-2010, 06:15 PM
Werkstatt
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just another example of the Boxster trying to Keep The Man Down

Paolo are you coming to VIR next weekend?
Old 06-19-2010, 06:24 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Werkstatt
Just another example of the Boxster trying to Keep The Man Down

Paolo are you coming to VIR next weekend?
No, I booked time with the famous professional race driver A. Wayne for some car control lessons........

BTW, are your Boxsters as good as Rick's?
Old 06-19-2010, 07:16 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I guess I am a bit timid to get close, will try more skin passes on my next race.......
That's pretty common in 1st year racers. Paolo, the other thing you have to consider is that it is actually SAFER to get closer and do the "skin" pass. The further out to the side you are, the less you are in the driver's vision. If you come up along side and show your nose, the car that's being overtaken is less likely to turn in on you.

Also, considering the late off line move, he could have interpreted that as not necessarily going to over take him, but actually going defensive against the guy behind you. Hopefully that made sense.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:18 AM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Doc,

I think you have your X & Y accelermeters backwards on your video.

At the start of the video, it shows Red on the left side. I assume Red should be braking, but you're accerating there. In T11 and T1 it always shows Green. I think Red = Left turns, Green = Right Turns.

And when you're accelrating the white bar at the bottom is toward the right. Under braking it's toward the left.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:00 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimbo951
Hey Doc,

I think you have your X & Y accelermeters backwards on your video.
I agree - check the orientation of that sensor unit (and make sure it's level).

Quick Reply: Let's go back to the basics......