Sponsored by:

Let's go back to the basics......

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:46 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
No offense taken. It's hard to describe but I knew that Paolo was going to try to pass in that corner (based off of similar moves earlier in the race). My plan was to over/under him and I started my braking at a spot where I felt he would not be able to make the corner. Had he not spun, I'm pretty sure he would have gone very wide in turn 1 and that would have allowed me to pass him going into 2.

So, when you say it "turns out he really couldn't", I consider that as part of proof that what I was doing worked.

That was good thinking there. Bait the trailing car into pass he cannot pull off and trick him into trying it. Of course you have to be smart enough to not get collected in if/when the trailing car gets it wrong.

This is in fact one thing I love about racing. It not just driving the car be thinking about moves and counter moves.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:46 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
Mods, can we get a clean up? Removal of the action and reaction posts, including this one, might save the thread.
Done, or at least an attempt at done.

A message for the intended TARGET audience:

The Delete Button is right next to the Ban button...it would be a shame if due to age and poor eyesight I hit the wrong one by mistake.

Again, if you feel the need to act out in class, leave here and go directly to the P&C subforum.
You do NOT need to raise your hand and ask for permission. You do NOT need a hall pass.

Again, thank you for your patience and understanding.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
If you feel the urge to "act out in class", I would encourage you to visit the P&C sub-forum (the Rennlist special padded forum), rather than use this Racing/DE forum.
Sorry for my ignorance, what's the sub-forum? I don't see it in the menu.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:06 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you enter Off Topic, you will see it at the very top of the OT page.
Here is a direct link:
https://rennlist.com/forums/politics...ntroversy-212/

Brace yourself for what goes on in there ... good luck and godspeed
Old 06-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paolo, Dave, and all others affected by the recent lashing out by A.Wayne, etc. I am sorry that I did not see this in time to help. Fortunately, Lewis was. At the time this was all going on, I was out in one of my gardens picking weeds, literally. You have to wait around here until the sun starts going down in order not to get heat stroke.

I have a lot to do today, as well (starting with much needed tires for my truck!), so hopefully certain individuals won't post more rude stuff. I will try and check on the progress of this thread on my breaks from the nasty heat.

If you can't play nice, get out of the sand box. Otherwise you will be sent on a time out. I will only give that warning one time. And hey, A.Wayne . . . just because you don't like someone does not make it okay to bash his driving abilities. I'd want none other than Dave in my car if I ever go out to one of the Texas tracks. I say that as a very seasoned racer and driver (not to mention instructor) myself. Take your personal stuff to the PM section, please.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:16 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster
I'd want none other than Dave in my car if I ever go out to one of the Texas tracks. I say that as a very seasoned racer and driver (not to mention instructor) myself. Take your personal stuff to the PM section, please.
Wow... I think the world may be a bit skewed on its axis when the moderators are defending VR.... Dave knows I mean that with love...
Old 06-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Wow... I think the world may be a bit skewed on its axis when the moderators are defending VR.... Dave knows I mean that with love...
LMAO...yes, I do, and thanks. Thanks also, Bon. I'd love for you to come to some of our Texas tracks!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 06-21-2010, 05:39 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
That was good thinking there. Bait the trailing car into pass he cannot pull off and trick him into trying it. Of course you have to be smart enough to not get collected in if/when the trailing car gets it wrong.

This is in fact one thing I love about racing. It not just driving the car be thinking about moves and counter moves.
Joe I could see this on other tracks, but T1 at the Glen is critical to your entire lap. Giving up T1 is like throwing away 2 seconds or more. You woud be hard pressed to re-pass before T5 unless you have a lot more power and that would not happen until the back straight which still screws you up.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Peter . . . I am human above being a moderator. I don't like it when we all get into these battles, no matter who it involves. But Dave has provided me with some great information over the years, especially when I first bought my Porsche. I have nothing personal against A.Wayne, so don't take that as the signal to put the guy down or anything. Someone will always think something is unfair, and someone will always agree. But as I said, it's not open season on Wayne or anyone else.

Oh, Dave . . . you owe me twenty bucks. Lol, kidding! It's fifty bucks.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Peter . . . I am human above being a moderator. I don't like it when we all get into these battles, no matter who it involves. But Dave has provided me with some great information over the years, especially when I first bought my Porsche. I have nothing personal against A.Wayne, so don't take that as the signal to put the guy down or anything. Someone will always think something is unfair, and someone will always agree. But as I said, it's not open season on Wayne or anyone else.

Oh, Dave . . . you owe me twenty bucks. Lol, kidding! It's fifty bucks.
Fitty dolla make you holla? I get paid to do the wild thing!

Old 06-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

I always knew you were a **** Dave, but I didn't realize you graduated to prostitution.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I always knew you were a **** Dave, but I didn't realize you graduated to prostitution.
Well. There IS a fine line...

Old 06-21-2010, 06:43 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
Joe I could see this on other tracks, but T1 at the Glen is critical to your entire lap. Giving up T1 is like throwing away 2 seconds or more. You woud be hard pressed to re-pass before T5 unless you have a lot more power and that would not happen until the back straight which still screws you up.
Unless the trailing car is going to go flying off the road.

Remember we (all except Leh Keen) are just a bunch of weekend warriors. So that means we can and do make mistakes. At turn 1 at willow springs I had another 944 driver go in deep at turn 1 which is fast 4th gear corner. I chose not defend. Mostly because I knew he could not go that deep and hope to make the corner. I basicly left him room to either pull off a great pass or go flying off in the weeds. He went flying off in the weeds. Now if it a pro I am sure the won't fall for it, but us amatures well... It can be easy to bait guys in making a mistake. I have had guys do it to me and done that to others. It just racing.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:09 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Joe, or anybody else, what is your strategy to pass on a car that pulls on you on the straights but that you catch up on the corners?

PM is OK if you guys don't want to divulge your secrets....
Old 06-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 10 Posts

"Contact strategy", or "non-contact strategy" ?

Nothing works as well, with a slow-cornering car, as "helping them with their understeer" at corner entry.

Just sayin.

Quick Reply: Let's go back to the basics......