Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's go back to the basics......

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 09:25 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Let's go back to the basics......

Trying to pass a BoxsterS in the second sprint race at the Glen 2010......

Turn 1, first time something like that happened there in my short life of racing or DEing..... no contact....

Previous lap a record time for me and my car 2:15s, after the incident I finish the last lap crawling on gas fumes.....

It seems I had full lock on, but to no avail.....

is it just a typical mistake or is could there have been other reasons contributing? Not looking for excuses, just asking......

What else could I have done?

Let's hear from those with more experience than me so we can all learn......

Thanks......

http://vimeo.com/12682374
Old 06-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Trail braked too deep & too late where the camber is the least...rear tires began to lock up on apex curbing paint?

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 06-18-2010, 09:38 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looked like you did something that I had did a lot at first.... Look in the mirror too near the turn in. All of a sudden I get a step behind. That starts the cycle VR suggested.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

My hearing is bad (and why doesn't your video have data on it??) but were you coasting and not on throttle through there? That certainly will toss you around.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:55 PM
U4EEAH
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
My hearing is bad (and why doesn't your video have data on it??) but were you coasting and not on throttle through there? That certainly will toss you around.
Looks like you had executed a perfect pass and maybe did not stay committed to the throttle fearing you had no room to track out because of the boxster.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:09 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Combination of many possibilities but one thing it wasn't overly aggressive steering input though you should have started releasing the wheel sooner. The line you took was way too early forcing you onto that berm which doesn't appear to have much traffic over it. Had you waited a second longer and stayed further to the left (there was plenty of room next to the Boxster), you could have missed the berm and tracked out on the throttle instead of coasting and having to wait. Also, staying up next to the Boxster would eliminate his ability to get a run on you down the following straight. He would have to wait and follow you into the turn.

The inside of that berm may have had oil, coolant, or marbles over a painted surface. Anyone of those easily could have caused your loss of traction especially since if was off-camber and you were coasting presumably with your diff locked up. Speaking of which, what is the lockup ratio of your diff under decel?
Old 06-18-2010, 10:20 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Paolo, you are one lucky dude. That could have ended in tears.

That gator curb you hit is about a freaking foot tall. I guarantee you were airborn and the fronts came down and grabbed with steering input while the rears where off or really light - instant spin.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:49 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Still think boot in the throttle may have motored on through there, it's a BIG corner if you add in all that outside asphalt.. ask Sean and Fred! The grass is just fine on exit if your pointed straight!
Old 06-18-2010, 10:58 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Good stuff guys......

Seeing the situation from different prospectives sure helps understanding the dynamics.....

Funny thing is that it happened right in front of my relatives watching at T1 which afterward told me that caught everything on camera......

Can wait to get the photos......

And yes, I consider myself lucky, it could have been much worse.........
Old 06-18-2010, 11:18 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
Paolo, you are one lucky dude. That could have ended in tears.

That gator curb you hit is about a freaking foot tall. I guarantee you were airborn and the fronts came down and grabbed with steering input while the rears where off or really light - instant spin.
bingo, before I even saw the video my assumption was a really early turn in line outbraking him, but too much curbing. You actually got the first part right, but tried to take the turn as if you had as much track as the outside permitted. Once you owned the corner you could have slowed and kept him wide enough to avoid a repass.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:30 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,473 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Paolo, glad you didn't collect anyone. You seem very "casual" and nonchalant on your approach to the corner along with a high amount of concern for the car behind you. Never forget what Enzo Ferrari always said, "What's behind you doesn't matter".

BTW: like my sig?
Old 06-18-2010, 11:31 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Rule: If you're going to pass, fully commit.

You basically dive-bombed the guy in the Boxster. You didn't pass him until you were at the Apex. Knowing this, you tried to get too much curb and stay inside him at the apex and probably were thinking you didn't have a lot of room on the exit.

Once you got alongside/just past him, you should have made more room for yourself and adjusted your line a bit to track out better. You didn't dictate here and it cost you. Had you took command and not held your line so tight (you were even trying to keep it tighter...) you would have better balanced the car. Then, with full throttle application, you would have been able to better control the car.

As an aside, I'm not sure who was driving the Boxster so I apologize if I'm about to offend someone. Dude, what the hell were you thinking? You had the speed on Paolo on the straight and there's no way he should have been able to do that in that corner. Turns out he really couldn't but there's no way he should have even been led to think he could try that....
Old 06-18-2010, 11:49 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pete that is the disparity between a faster car with a not as fast driver driving it and slower car driven faster. One other comment lifting is not bad if you stay on top of it. Cervelli and Patrick Long do it when you need front grip and in corner transition. Early power in your case would have put you very wide with understeer.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

He pussied out on exit. End of story.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:45 AM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^
^
^

+1

Quick Reply: Let's go back to the basics......