Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about racing NASA events.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 12:56 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Take a look at the cars in the video I posted. They don't look like a bunch of crap-boxes to me, and even if they were inexpensive cars, that doesn't mean the drivers are reckless.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:00 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Great theory, but in the real world there are wilda$$ed drivers in every class of car. Back in my NASA days there was a certain GTS series director who was totally unpredictable, and known to throw banzai moves on a regular basis. His BMW was highly prepared and probably in the $100K range.
I have A LOT of NASA experiencing racing around a variety of cars from $5k beater hondas and VWs to a Lola LMP1 car and everything in between.

In my experience, I have seen many risky, stupid moves from guys in very expensive, very fast cars that have big checkbooks but do not have the driving experience/skill to be in control of such a car. Often times incidents occur in these kinds of cars not because of malice, but because of lack of skill/poor judgement in the moment.

Of course I have seen some stupid moves in Spec 944s and cheap cars as well, but in general guys with cheaper cars are working on them themselves and are often times more averse to body damage than guys in more expensive cars who have full time support and it's no big deal to write a $xxxx check to fix that door or fender.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:09 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

good point, Claykos
Old 06-16-2010, 01:30 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NASA is a franchise so one region if owned by a different owner may be different than the next. I have raced with NASA Great Lakes. Being a track junkie, I knew many of personality anyway but my view of it is they are a young and upcoming group. Have some growing pains but I like to organization and enjoy racing with them. Not to say I alike all of it a-z but that would be hard to do in any organization. If you have concerns do an HPDE with them first or go find some racing buddies who race with them. Good competition.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Great theory, but in the real world there are wilda$$ed drivers in every class of car. Back in my NASA days there was a certain GTS series director who was totally unpredictable, and known to throw banzai moves on a regular basis. His BMW was highly prepared and probably in the $100K range.
Price does not matter AKAIK. What matters is the series culture. I have not seen a CMC or a Miata on the track w/o a dent or a donut. That's fine as long as you know what you are getting into.

Crazy bonehead moves exist regardless of price, marque or sanctioning body. Recently I was at the WG PCA race and the Sunday PRACTICE session was some of the most aggressive wheel to wheel racing I experienced all weekend. There was a car (description withheld) that I was trying to get around because I was faster and it was practice and I just wanted some good laps but this guy was uber aggressive and chopped me corner after corner. I locked the brakes at least once because he looked like he was going to let me go by but decided not to at some point. Truly crazy in a practice session. I assume he saw me but maybe he was that oblivious. I gave up after a while and just drovered around behind him thereby ensuring that I still had a car to drive for the Enduro.

If you are on a race track you will run into an a$$hole at some point regardless of car, bank account or rules. Nasa is no different.

Nasa has a fun atmosphere for sure.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:22 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by claykos
I have A LOT of NASA experiencing racing around a variety of cars from $5k beater hondas and VWs to a Lola LMP1 car and everything in between.

In my experience, I have seen many risky, stupid moves from guys in very expensive, very fast cars that have big checkbooks but do not have the driving experience/skill to be in control of such a car. Often times incidents occur in these kinds of cars not because of malice, but because of lack of skill/poor judgement in the moment.

Of course I have seen some stupid moves in Spec 944s and cheap cars as well, but in general guys with cheaper cars are working on them themselves and are often times more averse to body damage than guys in more expensive cars who have full time support and it's no big deal to write a $xxxx check to fix that door or fender.
Well put. The assumption that guys in the low budget cars that are the sketchy drivers is just plain unfounded.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:35 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

I'm reminded of an open test Tuesday at Lime Rock Park some years ago when a ratty old Spec Racer took to the track and veered to join the racing line right off pit out just as a priceless Ferrari 512BB LM came bearing down and was taken right out, with huge damage.
Thankfully, I saw that car at the Glen a few years later back in action.
Not sure which one of these it was:
Attached Images   
Old 06-16-2010, 02:46 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 158 Posts

I was told NASA was a bit less expensive than PCA but apparently not at Limerock! I was going to attempt to make it but it sounds a bit rushed jamming a practice (one?), qualifier, and race for all groups between 12:00 and 5:00?? Like to see the schedule if possible, how many in a group, etc.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:59 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

NASA is way better than PCA. Grid girls, champagne, Hoosiers, and you can drink beer the minute your race is over. No waiting until the track is cold...

As far as racing I have been running with them for 3 years without incident. We have only had one probem driver in GTS and he was given a 13 warning at the last race.

My only complaint with NASA would be track time on a normal race weekend. Warm up, qualifying, 25 minute sprint race on Saturday. Qualifying and 40 minute race on Sunday. That's only 5 sessions on track compared with 10 and a 1 1/2 hour enduro with PCA ?
Old 06-16-2010, 03:18 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

yeah, less track time, no doubt, but the Lime Rock event is pretty cool, because it's very little wasted time. Think about it, at a PCA event, you get up early, speed to the track to make an 8am driver's meeting then stand around for an hour and a half, at least. This LRP event doesn't start until noon, then it's practice, regroup, qualify, rest and then race. Three sessions in quick succession in half a day. Last year, I sent my car all the way home for a head gasket, got drunk, slept in, and didn't miss a session the next day.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:26 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I have to get the Hoosier contingency set up, not that I have a shot at it but ya never know....
Old 06-16-2010, 03:31 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
There was a car (description withheld) that I was trying to get around because I was faster and it was practice and I just wanted some good laps but this guy was uber aggressive and chopped me corner after corner. I locked the brakes at least once because he looked like he was going to let me go by but decided not to at some point. Truly crazy in a practice session. I assume he saw me but maybe he was that oblivious. I gave up after a while and just drovered around behind him thereby ensuring that I still had a car to drive for the Enduro.
Good Hands can be a handful heh?
Old 06-16-2010, 03:31 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I have to get the Hoosier contingency set up, not that I have a shot at it but ya never know....
Hoosier contingency is awesome. I haven't paid for tires in 2 years and that REALLY adds up when you are talking about 335/18 R6 or 320/650 slicks...
Old 06-16-2010, 03:32 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FredC
Good Hands can be a handful heh?
Nice!
Old 06-16-2010, 03:32 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Are you kidding? I've got a set and a half in the garage not even mounted yet....

Quick Reply: Thinking about racing NASA events.......